TSTT Forum: Bit torrent - TSTT Forum

Page 1 of 1

Bit torrent

#1 User is offline   Kukka Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 November 2005 - 01:25 PM

Anyone been having problems downloading torrents and browsing at same time?

#2 User is offline   Kash Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 November 2005 - 10:28 PM

If you torrent is downloading at full speed you will have problems browsing. What you can do is depending on client youre using reduce the max download speed.

#3 User is offline   StarCon Icon

• Post Machine
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 November 2005 - 04:03 AM

Anyone been having problems downloading torrents and browsing at same time?

yep, once you have ed2k or bt running - even if you limit bandwidth to 1k/1k - you'll have problems browsing.

the problem first surfaced after tstt's hsia service 'upgrade' on sept. 29th

#4 User is offline   Kukka Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 November 2005 - 08:24 AM

damn tstt :(

#5 User is offline   srnoth Icon

• Forum Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:Computers, music, electronics...

Posted 25 November 2005 - 08:33 PM

Haha, yup, once bittorent is running at full speed it basically kills your net. And even if you limit it to like 6kbps, the net will seem slow. I use utorrent, and use the scheduler so that it goes at full speed from 12 in the night till 6 in the morning, when I'm most likely not using the net. During the day it is set to be off completely. Works great for me.

Laterz,
Stephen.

#6 User is offline   StarCon Icon

• Post Machine
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 November 2005 - 09:14 PM

Haha, yup, once bittorent is running at full speed it basically kills your net. And even if you limit it to like 6kbps, the net will seem slow. I use utorrent, and use the scheduler so that it goes at full speed from 12 in the night till 6 in the morning, when I'm most likely not using the net. During the day it is set to be off completely. Works great for me.

Laterz,
Stephen.

I noticed that the connection seems to get better the longer u stay online.
I cannot say anything about bt, but with emule running longer than a day you will see
significant improvements - you can browse normally and download at (almost) full speed.

#7 Guest_Guest_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 28 November 2005 - 12:18 AM

StarCon, on Nov 26 2005, 09:14 PM, said:

Laterz,
Stephen.

I noticed that the connection seems to get better the longer u stay online.
I cannot say anything about bt, but with emule running longer than a day you will see
significant improvements - you can browse normally and download at (almost) full speed.

The reason for that is that people initially bombard you with requests for files and stuff, once this settles you should browse pretty well i.e. settling time

#8 User is offline   StarCon Icon

• Post Machine
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 November 2005 - 07:17 PM

ah, thx for the info.

I never observed that before as I would normally sign off after like 17 h and my old phone company would kick me off after 24h :)

#9 User is offline   frankie Icon

• Post Machine
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 May 2006 - 01:30 PM

<My ADSL is 256K.>

Actually, I use Azureus and I download at full speed with no problems browsing. (using Firefox or Opera).

However when seeding I am unable to browse any site whatsoever. So to fix that I limited my upload slots to 1 connection per user and a max upload speed of 5KB/sec and I was able to surf the web with little slow down.

BT really does max out your adsl and the 256k does'nt seem fast at all but thats what we residential folks have to deal with, at least for now.

TSTT's adsl residential package is best used for email, web surfing, streaming audio and low quality streaming video.

When using BT, for good practice, download ONLY one torrent at a time and limit your upload speeds to 5KB/s or ONLY SEED AT MAX SPEED WHEN YOUR NOT USING THE INTERNET. Remember you need to give back to the network what you've downloded, so YOU STILL NEED TO SEED! Some trackers dont allow you to completely download a file or files unles you've contributed your share via seeding OR you may even experience really slow download speeds.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users