TSTT Forum: Signal to Noise gradually dropping over time - TSTT Forum

Page 1 of 1

Signal to Noise gradually dropping over time

#1 User is offline   Who Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 August 2007 - 06:59 AM

Does anyone else have the problem where the signal to noise ratio drops over time and as soon as the router is rebooted the SNR goes right back up? With my router the SNR drops over 1-2 days period until data transfer becomes impossible. Also sometimes I can't even connect to the router with my browser and the only way to fix it is to power down and up again. Can these problems have anything to do with the fact that I'm using the usb connection?

#2 User is offline   aka Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 August 2007 - 07:19 AM

View PostWho, on Aug 20 2007, 06:59 AM, said:

Does anyone else have the problem where the signal to noise ratio drops over time and as soon as the router is rebooted the SNR goes right back up? With my router the SNR drops over 1-2 days period until data transfer becomes impossible. Also sometimes I can't even connect to the router with my browser and the only way to fix it is to power down and up again. Can these problems have anything to do with the fact that I'm using the usb connection?

Yep, I had the same problem twice. In both cases it was a line problem. The attenuation figures may also show an increase.

#3 User is offline   Who Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 August 2007 - 09:47 PM

View Postaka, on Aug 20 2007, 07:19 AM, said:

Yep, I had the same problem twice. In both cases it was a line problem. The attenuation figures may also show an increase.

I'm almost certain that its not a line problem since the signal to noise ratio does not fluctuate...it just goes down. Just before I posted this, the SNR was 8.4 for about 5-10mins and as soon as I rebooted the router the SNR went to 21.5 and has been that way for the last 10 mins. So its not like the line suddenly got better after i rebooted. Anyone has any other suggestions?

I can't wait till FLOW brings digital to my area. I'm seeing them running cables but I'm not sure how long it will take to actually get service. Once they're finished I'll never have to come back to this forum again ;) Only Digicel and Flow for me.

#4 User is offline   aka Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 August 2007 - 05:45 AM

View PostWho, on Aug 20 2007, 09:47 PM, said:

I'm almost certain that its not a line problem since the signal to noise ratio does not fluctuate...it just goes down. Just before I posted this, the SNR was 8.4 for about 5-10mins and as soon as I rebooted the router the SNR went to 21.5 and has been that way for the last 10 mins. So its not like the line suddenly got better after i rebooted. Anyone has any other suggestions?

I can't wait till FLOW brings digital to my area. I'm seeing them running cables but I'm not sure how long it will take to actually get service. Once they're finished I'll never have to come back to this forum again ;) Only Digicel and Flow for me.

It can also be a DSL filter problem. In both cases where I had line problems I could simply remove the phone jack from the back of the modem, briefly short the connections, plug it back in and the SNR would shoot up for about 20 minutes. It could also be a defective device but TSTT should test the line for good measure.

This link might be helpful:

http://forums.whirlp...cfm/798764.html

#5 User is offline   javan Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 September 2007 - 09:13 AM

View PostWho, on Aug 20 2007, 06:59 AM, said:

I have this same issue every 2-4 days I need to reboot my modem .
TSTT says the line is fine ....
I use the network cable so I don't think its your usb connection

Were u ever able to reslove this issue >

#6 User is offline   Senti_al Icon

• Post Machine
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 September 2007 - 08:45 AM

i know wat the problem is ..i have the same problem wit the SNR margin (downstream)

was saying 11.4 since saturday and didnt know wat else to do ...

sunday i do without the net and this morning (monday) i checked it in the dsl modem page and was still saying the same

since today is a weekday i decided to call 824tstt and let go some steam at dem

NOW ..WEN I PICKED UP THE RECEIVER TO MAKE THE CALL ..(I HAD THE DSL PAGE STILL OPEN ON THE SNR MARGIN SECTION) I SAW THE DOWNSTREAM GO BACK TO 30.1 !!

DSL WAS WORKING GOOD NOW ALL OF A SUDDEN AS SOON AS I PICKED UP THE RECEIVER TO MAKE A CALL

I THEN PUT THE PHONE BACK DOWN ...AND THE SNR MARGIN WENT BACK DOWN <_<

so my problem wit the snr margin downstream is - wen the phone is on the hook it interupts the snr margin downstream (upstream not affected ah tall)

wen the phone is off the hook ..say making a call ..snr margin goes back up to normal 30.1 to b exact

<DELETED> TSTT ...rite now i am calling and waiting on 824tstt ..so my connection is working ...but if i only hang up ..snr will go down and net wont work lol

rel confusing but do wat i do and see if u are affected in the same way

ohh and by de way ..i have everyting the same exact way it was wen it was working without problems for months now

(dsl filter/proper settings etc) so iz nuttin on my side here ..if is anything here it will be that lines get mess up

#7 User is offline   srnoth Icon

• Forum Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:Computers, music, electronics...

Posted 24 September 2007 - 05:46 PM

View PostSenti_al, on Sep 24 2007, 08:45 AM, said:

i know wat the problem is ..i have the same problem wit the SNR margin (downstream)

was saying 11.4 since saturday and didnt know wat else to do ...

sunday i do without the net and this morning (monday) i checked it in the dsl modem page and was still saying the same

since today is a weekday i decided to call 824tstt and let go some steam at dem

NOW ..WEN I PICKED UP THE RECEIVER TO MAKE THE CALL ..(I HAD THE DSL PAGE STILL OPEN ON THE SNR MARGIN SECTION) I SAW THE DOWNSTREAM GO BACK TO 30.1 !!

DSL WAS WORKING GOOD NOW ALL OF A SUDDEN AS SOON AS I PICKED UP THE RECEIVER TO MAKE A CALL

I THEN PUT THE PHONE BACK DOWN ...AND THE SNR MARGIN WENT BACK DOWN <_<

so my problem wit the snr margin downstream is - wen the phone is on the hook it interupts the snr margin downstream (upstream not affected ah tall)

wen the phone is off the hook ..say making a call ..snr margin goes back up to normal 30.1 to b exact

<DELETED> TSTT ...rite now i am calling and waiting on 824tstt ..so my connection is working ...but if i only hang up ..snr will go down and net wont work lol

rel confusing but do wat i do and see if u are affected in the same way

ohh and by de way ..i have everyting the same exact way it was wen it was working without problems for months now

(dsl filter/proper settings etc) so iz nuttin on my side here ..if is anything here it will be that lines get mess up

The same thing has happened to me several times, but it was always accompanied by slight static on the line. But as you said, the DSL would work great with the phone off the hook, but as soon as you hang up the SNR would go back down. In the end my problem went away, don't know why/how though :P .

#8 User is offline   Senti_al Icon

• Post Machine
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 September 2007 - 06:29 PM

View Postsrnoth, on Sep 24 2007, 05:46 PM, said:

The same thing has happened to me several times, but it was always accompanied by slight static on the line. But as you said, the DSL would work great with the phone off the hook, but as soon as you hang up the SNR would go back down. In the end my problem went away, don't know why/how though :P .

well for now i jus have the phone off da hook because anyone calling for me calls the cell lol i am yet to get through to tstt to complain

#9 User is offline   jaiume Icon

• PipPip

Posted 24 September 2007 - 07:22 PM

Check out this link http://www.dslreports.com/faq/11821

#10 User is offline   srnoth Icon

• Forum Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 September 2007 - 07:31 PM

View PostSenti_al, on Sep 24 2007, 06:29 PM, said:

well for now i jus have the phone off da hook because anyone calling for me calls the cell lol i am yet to get through to tstt to complain

Exactly what I ended up doing until the problem went away :lol: :lol: .

#11 User is offline   srnoth Icon

• Forum Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 September 2007 - 07:34 PM

View Postjaiume, on Sep 24 2007, 07:22 PM, said:

Good info there. I'll have to try that next time the problem arises.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users