TSTT Forum: TSTT in a Liberalized Telecoms Environment - TSTT Forum

Page 1 of 1

TSTT in a Liberalized Telecoms Environment T&T Chamber Event 5th August 2004

#1 User is offline   admin Icon

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 12 August 2004 - 04:52 PM

Last week I attended the T&T Chamber of Commerce event titled 'TSTT in a Liberalized Telecoms Environment'.
It was quite an informative session with direct access to the top executives of TSTT all at one table.
CEO, Mr. Sam Martin, presented TSTT to the business audience in an open way. Using BT (British Telecom) as an example for the company transition from a monopoly to a competitive market. Losing market share will be quite obvious and TSTT is very aware of that.
Therefore the main focus is going towards customer support, a service, in my opinion, TSTT did not put too much effort in the past.
As previously posted, the GSM network is still giving some headache as for reliability, availability, coverage etc. The main 'stopper' was Governments' Town and Coucil Planning department. But it seems TSTT got approval for more cell sites and channels (16 instead of the current 8) etc. They will also focus on certain buildings, improving the GSM service.
A major project undertaken is the removal and new installation of the old copper wire network (POTS), which will improve weather resistance (no more dead lines after a rain shower). Since competition will focus on the more lucrative market like cellular service, business customers etc., a government fund, like in many other coutries, has to be established to compensate for the non-lucrative areas.
My request for 24/7 customer service for Internet users was answered with the establishment of the new customers service centre in Maraval, which will be open 24/7 for business customers.
TSTT seems to be quite aware that the corporate culture at TSTT has to be 'modernized' in order to be a respected competitor in an open market.

#2 User is offline   Wolfie Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Post icon  Posted 13 August 2004 - 04:32 AM

This means that they'd postpone giving residential users real broadband (T1+) connections as long as they can. It's funny how the government talks about developing IT in Trinidad & Tobago and yet they support TSTT limiting the majority of the population's Internet experience and availabilty. TSTT's backbone link to the Americas should be purchased by the government and rented out to private businesses who wish to provide ISP services. If this is done then post 1mbit connections at reasonable rates for residential users is totally possible.

If they cannot after all these years set up a reliable GSM network then they deserve to be out done and will. Screw them.

The government fund is total nonsense. TSTT: this is business, get with it and stop asking for handouts.

It has been rumoured that an anonymous hacker group here with international affiliations is going to release highly sensitive information about TSTT to the media as their competition gains momentum to help topple the raping empire. They have been collecting information for a long time and have been waiting for the proper moment to release these little bombs.

Rough waters are ahead for them, however they planted those seeds, time to reap the results. :ph34r:

#3 User is offline   cmad2001 Icon

• PipPip

Post icon  Posted 13 August 2004 - 10:40 AM

Admin, can you give us more information about this 24/7 customer service center :

My request for 24/7 customer service for Internet users was answered with the establishment of the new customers service centre in Maraval, which will be open 24/7 for business customers.

Where exactly is it ? When will it be open ? or is it open already? how do we access it ? 824-TSTT ? This is great news but we need to know how to access the service. Plus , what about residential customers ? what if we have issues at 2:30 in the morning ? When will there be a 24/7 customer service for us ?

#4 User is offline   admin Icon

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 August 2004 - 11:29 AM

Wolfie, on Aug 13 2004, 04:32 AM, said:

This means that they'd postpone giving residential users real broadband (T1+) ...

The government fund is total nonsense.

Wolfie, I do not really see the relation of my posting and not having 'real broadband'. I remeber the times 'broadband' was everything above 9,600bps ;-)

Since business customers now have the selection of 6, instead of just 2 business packages, with T1 speed for 'business 6', maybe they are going to offer faster packages for residential customers as well. Before the ADSL times ... business customers paid almost 10 grand per month for a 64kbps (8Kbps) leased line. That is not even 2 years now. Now they can get a T1 for TT$4,329.75 (incl VAT) +
static IP (TT$172.50) if required (Mailservers, VPN etc.).

Regarding the government fund ... maybe I rephrase it ... it is called the 'Universal Service Fund' (USF) and every telecoms provider has to pay a contribution. It is common in many other countries. That fund will be used for 'more expensive' telecom services like providing the service in rural areas etc. Competitors will not focus on these areas, but somebody has still to provide the service. And in case TSTT is going dong, so will the widespread availability of telecommunication services. Even TSTT cannot yet provide services in all areas (which I do not really understand).

#5 User is offline   admin Icon

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 August 2004 - 11:33 AM

cmad2001, on Aug 13 2004, 10:40 AM, said:

Admin, can you give us more information about this 24/7 customer service center

No, I cannot provide other information than what was printed in all the daily newspapers. It was one of the info-advertisments from TSTT.

#6 User is offline   Wolfie Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 August 2004 - 05:43 PM

admin, on Aug 13 2004, 11:29 AM, said:

Wolfie, on Aug 13 2004, 04:32 AM, said:

This means that they'd postpone giving residential users real broadband (T1+) ...

The government fund is total nonsense.

Wolfie, I do not really see the relation of my posting and not having 'real broadband'. I remeber the times 'broadband' was everything above 9,600bps ;-)

Since business customers now have the selection of 6, instead of just 2 business packages, with T1 speed for 'business 6', maybe they are going to offer faster packages for residential customers as well. Before the ADSL times ... business customers paid almost 10 grand per month for a 64kbps (8Kbps) leased line. That is not even 2 years now. Now they can get a T1 for TT$4,329.75 (incl VAT) +
static IP (TT$172.50) if required (Mailservers, VPN etc.).

Regarding the government fund ... maybe I rephrase it ... it is called the 'Universal Service Fund' (USF) and every telecoms provider has to pay a contribution. It is common in many other countries. That fund will be used for 'more expensive' telecom services like providing the service in rural areas etc. Competitors will not focus on these areas, but somebody has still to provide the service. And in case TSTT is going dong, so will the widespread availability of telecommunication services. Even TSTT cannot yet provide services in all areas (which I do not really understand).

We're supposed to judge the definition of broadband from a global stand point. We cannot keep thinking that what they're giving is good enough until it actually is. The entire world is coming together through high bandwidth communication and we're still playing catch-up as usual. American dsl service starts @ 2mbits and Canada has broken 6mbits in residential homes. I guess the attitude of the people is all that matters since they don't know what they should be getting and are totally overwhelmed when TSTT throws them a bone. I'm starting to give up on this country, i don't really care anymore.

#7 User is offline   South Man Icon

• Board Warrior
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 14 August 2004 - 01:07 AM

Hmm you've started.... I have already! Where's my ticket.... <_<

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users