• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Flow and Torrents

#1 User is offline   Enishi Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 May 2008 - 08:52 PM

So, I'm testing out flow for a month to see if it really worth it, and so its just "meh".
Got the 6\1 package and im not impressed.
If im downloading a torrent at anything over 100kb/s browsing slows to a crawl (talking 10+ seconds for google to load) and IRC ping times hit 5000ms, also if any download going over 300kb/s upload speed takes a serious hit. :huh:
I have Blink as well and I can download at 240k+ and seed at 50+ without any major slowdown to browsing or anything else.
Don't know if anyone knows how to solve this, or if thats just how flow is.

#2 User is offline   PikachuMan Icon

• Post Machine
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 May 2008 - 10:52 PM

View PostEnishi, on May 3 2008, 09:52 PM, said:

So, I'm testing out flow for a month to see if it really worth it, and so its just "meh".
Got the 6\1 package and im not impressed.
If im downloading a torrent at anything over 100kb/s browsing slows to a crawl (talking 10+ seconds for google to load) and IRC ping times hit 5000ms, also if any download going over 300kb/s upload speed takes a serious hit. :huh:
I have Blink as well and I can download at 240k+ and seed at 50+ without any major slowdown to browsing or anything else.
Don't know if anyone knows how to solve this, or if thats just how flow is.

Question: Are you using the same computer with both blink and flow? And only the flow connection is killed by torrents? And you're using the same torrents with both?

I'm thinking the upload speed taking a hit is just because of how the torrent network is. If lots of fast connections are seeding, then your upload won't be needed much, but your download will be really fast. I'm guessing that's with a private torrent site?

Generally, if a torrent is killing my connection, I usually try these:
-Capping the download speed (instead of having it at unlimited or 0)
-Capping the upload speed.
-Capping the number of connections (very, very low for private torrents, like 20, and higher for public ones).

#3 User is offline   Enishi Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 May 2008 - 11:21 PM

I have the Flow connection setup on my laptop directly from the modem, no router. The Blink connection is connected to my desktop and a wireless Netgear WGT624 v3. And yes, only the flow connection has this problem with torrents.
Download capped at 600.
Upload capped at 80 (Unless seeding only).

Tried many different connection settings in uTorrent, all it did was completely kill my download and upload speed.
While typing this message im seeding a torrent at 100kb/s while trying to download another (same tracker, boxtorrents.com) and getting 40kb/s down and could barely get to this site till I stopped the download.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users