TSTT Forum: GSM vs. TDMA - TSTT Forum

Page 1 of 1

GSM vs. TDMA Is it really better?

#1 User is offline   orion_skm Icon

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Post icon  Posted 18 June 2005 - 03:04 PM

I am really fed up with tstt and this "superior" mobile system, GSM. Making a call from a TDMA ph to a GSM ph is horrendous! From POS to St. Joseph, not even maracs, st joseph! 2 mins walk from the eastern main road, you can't get a proper GSM connection. It Is HORRIBLE! In a conversation you spend half the time repeating what was said, the connection is choppy, and at times you get disconnected for what ever reason.

What makes it even worse is that they want to basically force all existing TDMA customers to change to the problem ridden GSM network by not activating anymore tdma phs and saying that the TDMA system will be soon disconnected.

Are they more concerned with monopolising the GSM network to guard against competition than ensuring the reliability and quality of the system?!? Frustrating.., it is!

#2 Guest_me_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 15 July 2005 - 10:51 PM

gsm is basically "layered" tdma network.
its based on the same TIME DIVISION that TDma is built on.

so technically GSM/TDMA should be about the same for voice (as i said technically) thank tstt for that

as for data tdma dont do much data hence GSM and the "layered" type network. where there is more bandwith available.
if tstt had everything running properly and didnt lauch gsm until it was fully operational we wouldn't have had so many problems.

as far as i have heard (didnt verify this yet) tstt's first mistake was the frequency they choose. the 1800mhz works better on flat lands not like here in trinidad with all the hills and stuff..

a good example is tdma runs on 800 and reception is way superior than gsm. how ever this network has had time to mature and tstt work out all there problems.

its gonna be interesting to see how tstt compares to digicel who has probably spent like 6-8 months setting up compared to tstt 3 or how many years..

#3 Guest_DC_*

Posted 16 July 2005 - 08:52 PM

TSTT didn't actually choose the 1800, they were given it by the government. They applied for the 850 three times and were denied by the government.

While this sounds like tstt is not to blame but the government, tstt should still have taken steps to ensure that the 1800 would cover the wholle country - including inside buildings. Very smple, more cell sites, and antennaes inside buildings.

And GSM is better, not in terms of quality of voice, but you get data - not possible with tdma, also you get more voice channels in the within the same frequency band and time slot, therefore more potential subscribers therefotre cheaper rates.

#4 User is offline   orion_skm Icon

• PipPip

Posted 18 July 2005 - 02:11 PM

Thanks for the info on GSM, but my question was a sarcastic one :D

I know GSM is technically superior because of the voice and data capabilities (global implementations). I was referring to TSTT's implementation of the GSM system :lol:

Also, they haven't worked out all the kinks to provide proper service of the GSM network, but they were willing to stop the TDMA system, thereby forcing all existing TDMA customers (if they NEED a cell) to change to their problematic GSM network thereby increasing the congestion on that network which would only worsen the problem.

With what happened last week with GSM being down, I have heard that TSTT has decided to keep the TDMA system active indefinitely, for now. :P That is one of the better moves they have made. If they had discontinued TDMA, i would have lived without a cell, til DIGICEL and Laqtel are operational.

But, why did the government not approve TSTT using the 850 frequency if it is more suitable to our geographical landscape??? :blink:

#5 User is offline   DC_ Icon

• PipPip

Posted 18 July 2005 - 02:55 PM

Not working out kinks is TSTT's speciality. They rolled out GSM after being warned by TSTT engineers that the network did not have enough coverage or capacity for the expected no of subscribers.

Seems to be the same motives behind their decision to shut down TDMA b4 fixing their GSM network.

As to the reason for being denied spectrum which would allow for a better network - who knows.. this is trinidad after all.

#6 Guest_Guest_greall_*

Posted 31 July 2005 - 07:29 PM

DC, on Jul 16 2005, 08:52 PM, said:

TSTT didn't actually choose the 1800, they were given it by the government. They applied for the 850 three times and were denied by the government.

While this sounds like tstt is not to blame but the government, tstt should still have taken steps to ensure that the 1800 would cover the wholle country - including inside buildings. Very smple, more cell sites, and antennaes inside buildings.

And GSM is better, not in terms of quality of voice, but you get data - not possible with tdma, also you get more voice channels in the within the same frequency band and time slot, therefore more potential subscribers therefotre cheaper rates.

You really think that TSTT would have really sorted out the GSM problem before they launched it?

They were in a rush.Roaming for business travellers is a lucrative market.The greater use of the Internet promoted the launch of mobile Internet services.

I agree that TSTT should have looked at the topography and population distribution as it pertains to locating cell sites since GSM would require more antennae to cover the same area covered by TDMA due to the differing frequencies then we consider that areas where GSM antennae could be put up to give more coverage would have to be located in areas not served by T&TEC for electrical power as is the case of some of the rural GSM antennae.

One must also consider that some of the GSM antenna would be located in an appropriate spot due to topography but inappropriate becuase it is far from the population centre which the antenna is intended to serve.

Something to consider again:TSTT must get the land rights to construct an antenna if it's not located at one of their own installations and that often means locating property owners and giving them an offer to build on the owner's property and that is most tedious.

#7 User is offline   DC_ Icon

• PipPip

Posted 23 August 2005 - 10:05 PM

[quote name='Guest_greall' date='Jul 31 2005, 07:29 PM']

DC, on Jul 16 2005, 08:52 PM, said:

Something to consider again:TSTT must get the land rights to construct an antenna if it's not located at one of their own installations and that often means locating property owners and giving them an offer to build on the owner's property and that is most tedious.

Interesting point to note... TSTT does not have Town and Country planning approval for any of its towers - it has approval for rooftop antennae, but not towers.

Another interesting point, the new towers coming up around the country (obviously Digi becasue laqtel is co-locating with tstt) do not have town and country approval either.

So summary: Government grants lisences wants better mobile services. Another branch of government is denying flat out no arguments towers which would give better service.

HUH?

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users