• +

ADSL Problem

#16 User is offline   aka Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 August 2007 - 03:00 PM

View PostHexxx, on Aug 6 2007, 02:12 PM, said:

I never checked it before, so I don't have anything to compare it to. Here is what the table says.
I'm just guessing here, but shouldn't that SNR be higher?
This is from the Paradyne router.

My SNR is typically 30db and steady. The attenuation is about 25db. You may have a line problem or a DSL filter problem. Does the phone work, and if so, is it noisy?

#17 User is offline   admin Icon

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 06 August 2007 - 05:41 PM

View PostHexxx, on Aug 6 2007, 02:12 PM, said:

I never checked it before, so I don't have anything to compare it to. Here is what the table says.
I'm just guessing here, but shouldn't that SNR be higher?
This is from the Paradyne router.

Yes, the downstream SNR should be higher (above 25 is acceptable)! My up/downstream SNRs are around 30dB.

TSTT should adjust your 'Rate' from '4000/480' to something lower. That usually increases the SNR margins and you get a more reliable connection. My current adjusted rate is: 512/256 (while the attainable rate is 5536/1016).
The adjustment has to be done in the exchange!

Mode: G.DMT
Type: Fast
Line Coding: Trellis On
Link Power State: L0

SNR Margin (dB): 29.7 28.0
Attenuation (dB): 50.0 31.5
Output Power (dBm): 12.4 11.6
Attainable Rate (Kbps): 5536 1016
Rate (Kbps): 512 256
K (number of bytes in DMT frame): 17 9
R (number of check bytes in RS code word): 0 0
S (RS code word size in DMT frame): 1 1
D (interleaver depth): 1 1
Delay (msec): 0 0

#18 User is offline   Hexxx Icon

• Board Warrior
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 August 2007 - 06:21 PM

I took off all my other connections (there wasn't any static/noise or any problems with the phones) and connected my laptop directly to the router - using the LAN cable. I also connected the patch cord from the router direct to the wall mount, but I'm still get a low downstream SNR of 7db.

I guess I would have to call TSTT tommorow and tell them the problem? I hope who ever answers the phone knows what SNR is...

#19 User is offline   zuke Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 August 2007 - 06:47 PM

View Postadmin, on Aug 6 2007, 05:41 PM, said:

Yes, the downstream SNR should be higher (above 25 is acceptable)! My up/downstream SNRs are around 30dB.

TSTT should adjust your 'Rate' from '4000/480' to something lower. That usually increases the SNR margins and you get a more reliable connection. My current adjusted rate is: 512/256 (while the attainable rate is 5536/1016).
The adjustment has to be done in the exchange!

had the same problem a while back and a tstt tech adjusted my line profile to 480/256 worked perfectly ever since

#20 User is offline   Hexxx Icon

• Board Warrior
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 August 2007 - 07:51 PM

I was using it just now and the downloads speeds went back normal (~30KBps). I checked the statistics and the downstream SNR was 16.6.
I did the tstt bandwidth test and it actually did it properly, got ~260Kbps, it lasted like that for only 30secs, then SNR shot back down to 8 and pages ain't loading now.
I'll try to call them tommorrow and ask them if they could change the line profile or something.

Just for reference, what do you all get for the BER test on the same ADSL statistics page? This is what I get.

ADSL BER Test - Result

The ADSL BER test completed successfully.

Test Time (sec): 20
Total Transferred Bits: 0x0000000004518C00
Total Error Bits: 0x000000000002C22F
Error Ratio: 2.50e-03

#21 User is offline   Lich King Icon

• Telecom Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 August 2007 - 02:27 AM

One of the devices on your line representing a low impedance load and overkilling the signal maybe. Remove everything from your line except the dsl modem and check it over. And I mean everything to remove, no exceptions, remove all filters and phones, analogue modems, fax machines etc.

2nd thing to check is the line that ur dsl connected to, check the phone box to see if anything loose or corroded. Also make sure the inner pair (red/green) in use preferably alone. People get all kinds of stupid ideas like connecting the outer pair will make the signal better etc but that is not so.

3rd thing could be if you have exceeded your ringer equivalence rating. I think TSTT max ringer equivalence is 5 and each phone powered by the phone line typically has a r.e. of around 0.8 to 1.0. A phone with external power source will have a lower value, the adsl filters have a rating on them too typically 0.1B or 0.2B I think.

SNR Margin of 10dB is the minimum for a well working system.

#22 User is offline   Hexxx Icon

• Board Warrior
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 August 2007 - 12:05 PM

Ok I found the problem.
Someone apparently changed one of the phones home here without telling me <_< . They put an old cordless phone (which apparently isn't working cause we can't find the manual to reprogram it). I unplugged the phone and the SNR went back up to 16dB. Lost 4days of downloading bandwidth, but at least it's up now! Thanks! Well at least I learnt about the router SNR during this event. ^_^

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users