TSTT Forum: dsl and file sharing - TSTT Forum

• (3 Pages)
  • +

dsl and file sharing

#1 User is offline   SOS Icon

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 June 2004 - 09:10 PM

why is it that i am unable to operate software that encourages file sharing eg winmx, imesh etc....

i was told that tstt DSL comes along with a built in fire wall but which may prevent such programmes from being able to access the internet, howvere upon signing up for DSL i requested that the fire wall not be included in the package as i have my own personal firewall... n eway is there n e special setting or something that i must do inorder to get it to operate? Or is there a possiblity that the fire wall has been included in the package eventhough i have requested that it be excluded?

#2 User is offline   edylewis Icon

• PipPip

Posted 06 July 2004 - 10:25 AM

SOS, on Jun 28 2004, 09:10 PM, said:

why is it that i am unable to operate software that encourages file sharing eg winmx, imesh etc....

i was told that tstt DSL comes along with a built in fire wall but which may prevent such programmes from being able to access the internet, howvere upon signing up for DSL i requested that the fire wall not be included in the package as i have my own personal firewall... n eway is there n e special setting or something that i must do inorder to get it to operate? Or is there a possiblity that the fire wall has been included in the package eventhough i have requested that it be excluded?

I'm using winmx with the following settings
- Secondary connections (thats under the Network window)
- Unable to accept incoming TCP connections (under Options, Incoming Connections, Incoming TCP connections.)

#3 User is offline   nyro Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 August 2004 - 02:26 PM

i tried those setting and i still can't connect to winmx is there anything else i should do??

#4 User is offline   admin Icon

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 24 August 2004 - 07:33 PM

SOS, on Jun 28 2004, 09:10 PM, said:

i was told that tstt DSL comes along with a built in fire wall but which may prevent such programmes from being able to access the internet, howvere upon signing up for DSL i requested that the fire wall not be included in the package as i have my own personal firewall...

Well, it seems that most of the time the request to disable the TSTT firewall is ignored. One of my friends ordered the ADSL Business 1 package. At installation time the firewall was disabled and when he mentioned to TSTT that he actually can download with 256kbps, he got charged for the Business 2 package and they switched on the firewall and none of his hotel guests can use their VPN connections anymore. We requested several times to switch off the firewall ... but up till now without success.
For another friend it took a few months to disable the firewall, even we followed the instructions sending an email to an TSTT address requesting to switch off the firewall. What TSTT needs is a 'Control Panel' that customers have a bit more access and do not have to wait for months to enable/disable services. It works for thousands of other ISP around the world! Unfortunately TSTT is in that regard very much in development status (is there any progress in this area?)

#5 Guest_Disapointed dsl customer_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 24 August 2004 - 11:51 PM

Admin can you recomend a file sharing program that will work around the fire wall? I have heard that they do exsist but so far i have come up with notting! :(

#6 User is offline   admin Icon

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 August 2004 - 12:16 AM

Disapointed dsl customer, on Aug 24 2004, 11:51 PM, said:

Admin can you recomend a file sharing program that will work around the fire wall? I have heard that they do exsist but so far i have come up with notting! :(

Nope, but I would simply trying to get rid of TSTT's firewall service.

#7 User is offline   nyro Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 September 2004 - 09:33 AM

Ok so i sent the email requesting my firwall be turned off. How will I know that it is and how soon can i expect results???

#8 User is offline   nyro Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 September 2004 - 12:11 PM

Just got an email confirming that they took off the firewall on my account but i still can't get on winmx. can any tell me what i am doing wrong
P.S I used to log on all the time when i had dial up. have not changed any thing

#9 User is offline   South Man Icon

• Board Warrior
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 September 2004 - 12:50 PM

You shouldn't have to change anything really. At least for me it worked as soon as the ADSL was setup. I don't want wrongly say that TSTT prolly didn't take it off but it could be the reason. I know people they told that the firewall is off when it was still on.

You might want to call them and let them tell you it's off over the phone. (Always ask for a name, so when they mess up you know who to ask for :lol: )

#10 User is offline   nyro Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 September 2004 - 04:28 PM

since they took of the firewall beem moving really slow. I mean slow like dial up. is that nomal??

#11 User is offline   admin Icon

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 September 2004 - 07:16 PM

How to test if the TSTT firewall is activated?

A simple test would be for instance using telnet and trying to reach a telnet server.

e.g. (from the 'Command Prompt')

telnet shell.frognet.net

You should see the following:

Trying 69.58.0.29...
Connected to shell.frognet.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
Red Hat Linux release 9 (Shrike)
Kernel 2.4.20-31.9 on an i686
login:

(press Return 3-4 times to get out of the login)

#12 User is offline   South Man Icon

• Board Warrior
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 27 September 2004 - 07:17 PM

Errrr no...lol it's ADSL it's not supposed to move *that* slow....but then again what ISP we talkin about :ph34r:

Call them bro! B)

#13 User is offline   nyro Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 September 2004 - 07:40 PM

ok i did the test and i saw what u said i should, but i am still haveing trouble logging on to winmx
P.s I did call them about the speed and they suggested that i shut down my system and reboot my router. seems to have worked did a bandwith test said my speed in 132.70kbps

#14 User is offline   South Man Icon

• Board Warrior
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 September 2004 - 10:17 PM

Do you have any other peer-to-peer programs that you use? Do they give problems to log on as well?

Also have you been able to log on at all? These are the settings I am using for WinMX I don't know if they will help.

INTERNET CONNECTION

Connection Type: 128K ISDN

Outgoing TCP Connections: Don't use a proxy server (connect directly)

Incoming TCP Connections: Unable to accept incoming TCP connections

In/Out UDP Packets: Unable to send or receive UDP datagrams on any port.

Host Name Resolution: Use operating system to resolve host names. (Most users should use this option)

#15 User is offline   admin Icon

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 September 2004 - 11:42 PM

How are you connected to the Internet? ADSL using a router and then ethernet to your PC or adsl router with direct USB connection to your PC?
If you use a direct USB connection ... things should actually work fine ... if nobody else is blocking it in between.... TCP port 6699 and UDP 6257 seem to be the required ports for winmx.
It is working fine using a modem ... you can always verify that using your ADSL account and dial in via modem...
Otherwise ... anybody successful using winmx via dsl ?

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users