TSTT Forum: DSL timeouts - TSTT Forum

• (3 Pages)
  • +

DSL timeouts everyone with dsl knows that ....

#1 User is offline   Wolfie Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Post icon  Posted 30 July 2004 - 04:45 PM

everyone with dsl knows that your dsl connection is "interrupted" every so often (i never bothered to time it) causing active sessions such as msn, ssh and so on to drop. What do you think is the reason for this? i am pretty certain that it serves some sort of purpose. My assumtion that it's there to prevent steady VOIP connections, which TSTT thinks is naughty. What do yall think it's for?

#2 User is offline   admin Icon

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 01 August 2004 - 01:19 AM

I have to admit that I had these type of problems 'initially' as well ... between June last year and it ended about in January this year. Since then I would say that my connection is quite steady and I am usually listening to Winamp radio and would therefore detect a drop immediately. I also keep ssh/telnet sessions to my US servers 24/7 and they remain stable over quite some time. On and on and cannot reach the TSTT gateway 209.94.205.25 (my first 'hop'), but overall I am quite happy with the service. There is one major factor and that is the physical phone line itself. Once that line is giving frequent trouble, your ADSL connection will do too. Observe you normal phone calls on that line and see if you have any distortion on that line. My ADSL connection right now is up since 25-July 6:15pm.

#3 User is offline   Wolfie Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 August 2004 - 05:42 AM

which are you on 128/256/512/T1? (Yes T1s are being given to specific people)

The problem does not occur on 512 and up lines, only 256k and below. I cannot keep a good ssh session for more than 20 mins or so, it is very very very annoying. I have emailed TSTT about it but as usual the technicians think everything is working fine and the problem is mine. I've also emailed an admin about it and of course there's no response because as we all know, they don't talk to commoners. The DSL line quality is very good. This also happens on an internet only line @ work with a 256k account with 0 dsl crc errors for a month now. I think most 128 people here would identify with this problem, as you see them popping in and out of msn all the time and muttering profanities about TSTT when they come back on hehe.

Oh well i just have to voice these things because when i take action i get into trouble. hopefully when competition comes in and they're forced to rent our their backbone we'd get better service and REAL broadband (everyone around the world considers 128k to be ISDN).

#4 User is offline   edylewis Icon

• PipPip

Posted 12 August 2004 - 03:05 PM

Wolfie, on Aug 2 2004, 05:42 AM, said:

which are you on 128/256/512/T1? (Yes T1s are being given to specific people)

The problem does not occur on 512 and up lines, only 256k and below. I cannot keep a good ssh session for more than 20 mins or so, it is very very very annoying. I have emailed TSTT about it but as usual the technicians think everything is working fine and the problem is mine. I've also emailed an admin about it and of course there's no response because as we all know, they don't talk to commoners. The DSL line quality is very good. This also happens on an internet only line @ work with a 256k account with 0 dsl crc errors for a month now. I think most 128 people here would identify with this problem, as you see them popping in and out of msn all the time and muttering profanities about TSTT when they come back on hehe.

Oh well i just have to voice these things because when i take action i get into trouble. hopefully when competition comes in and they're forced to rent our their backbone we'd get better service and REAL broadband (everyone around the world considers 128k to be ISDN).

20 minutes! Wow!
I have not heard of that problem before.
I've seen telnet sessions stay up for hours without a problem on dsl lines, here; i'm not sure what is a ssh session. If there is a 20 minute type problem perhaps someone from tstt internet side of things can observe it by logging in to your system, and checking if the session drops in less than a hour?

#5 User is offline   cmad2001 Icon

• PipPip

Posted 12 August 2004 - 10:40 PM

Fact is , the connection does time out ever so often. Ever notice yuh surfing around or listening to winamp radio and everything just stops for a few seconds (like 20) and then continues ? It happens to me here all the time. I relate it to the same problem of msn messenger disconnecting ever so often. Its not really a big problem for me cause both these programs always reconnect, but it is a problem.

Wolfie is right, when the tstt technician was here a few weeks ago to replace my router (remember I had the problem of the adsl modem getting to hot ) , I asked him about that and he denied that the problem existed. I think that they know about it but may not know how to solve it. :unsure:

they don't talk to commoners

No they dont.

#6 User is offline   Wolfie Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 August 2004 - 04:49 AM

Update:

It seems to be a policy on their checkpoint firewalls which are only applied to certain ports. The reason however is still vague. I'm thinking that it's purpose is either to disrupt VOIP as i mention before, or just to screw up paying customer's bandwidth usage. Either way they're providing incomplete service and they're perfectly content about that :angry:.

#7 User is offline   Kash Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 August 2004 - 01:19 AM

I've been experiencing the same timeouts. I had a problem with my speedstream 5200 (it was getting too hot). They came and replaced it today with a netopia 3300 modem/router. Since they replaced it I havent received any timeouts as yet. Msn messenger has been up all day without disconnecting. Also I found my internet speed is now faster I use to get around 14-16K now I'm getting about 16-18K.

#8 User is offline   Wolfie Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 September 2004 - 09:58 PM

yep it seems to be a problem with the speedstream 5200 modems. I have used another modem for a while now without any interruption what so ever. TSTT should really recall the 5200s if they are serious about customer care as they profess to be.

#9 User is offline   admin Icon

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 03 September 2004 - 02:37 AM

Yes, the Speedstream 5200 seems to cause some trouble occassionally here in T&T. Just got an 'emergency' call a few days ago from a client who lost completely the Internet connection, just days after TSTT 're-configured = screwed up' the correct configuration. I had to setup the box again, saved the configuration etc. Reboot, test ... all was working fine. Then on Thursday the 'e-call' and the router totally lost all settings, asking me for the new admin password at the first time setup.
I am not really impressed by the speedstream right now. Thought the Speed Touch' (Alcatel) was a mess (last year June), but it is working quite well after a few firmware upgrades. Generally it seems the firmware upgrades would help resolving a lot of problems here.

#10 User is offline   Wolfie Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 September 2004 - 09:32 AM

i invested in the netgear DG834G and she's flying like a bat out of hell since it has a built in dsl modem that works as it should.

#11 User is offline   Ruff Icon

• Pip

Posted 23 September 2004 - 09:02 PM

Hello Folks,
I'm new to this forum. Its unfortunate to say that frustration has led me here but I guess you can all relate. Anyway, I've been experiencing these "interruptions" too. I eventually used my stopwatch and discovered that these interruptions occur every 13mins and last an est. 34secs. This will lead me to believe that its something deliberate.
FYI I am on 128/64 ADSL using a Netopia Cayman 3341.

#12 User is offline   South Man Icon

• Board Warrior
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 25 September 2004 - 06:23 PM

How or why is it that TSTT CSRs claim to not know about this problem?? Is it a front or what? I called them on Thursday regarding the disconnection problem. The suggested I unplug the cordless phone I had near the modem, of couse that didn't work.

I mentioned to them that other people claimed to of had the problem (from this board) and that one of my friends from San Fernando called them and they fixed the problem. They suggested I borrowed my friend's modem to see if I was still having the same problem and if I was they'd consider it an exchange problem and not a modem problem.

However Ruff said he/she's using a Netopia Cayman 3341 and experiencing the same problem so what gives TSTT? :huh: I mean it mostly affects MSN Messenger and Yahoo as well from time to time however, sometimes I can't get through to websites. Not to mention what about people what wanna listen to streaming music, etc...?

Always on connection.....RIGHT :ph34r:

#13 User is offline   Wolfie Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 September 2004 - 04:07 AM

Yes the interruptions still occur with me but not as bad as when i had the speedstream. MSN and battlefield will drop for sure but my ssh sessions stay. They're either deliberate or an oddity of their bandwidth shaping devices, since they occur only on 256k and lower connections. The fact that they do occur on these lower rates is quite interesting though, since they just happen to be the residential packages, which is why i mentioned VOIP disruptions as a possible motive in previous postings. The only way to know the reason behind them is for TSTT to admit that something is wrong and offer an explaination but as we all know, it will snow in hell before they attempt anything of the sort. The best we might get is a fix of the problem with no explanation, something which i'd settle for right now.

#14 Guest_Guest_blitz_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 04 October 2004 - 09:25 PM

is it just me or the internet connection has been idle for a longer period of time that it use to be. After I press enter, it takes a while for the information to send.
Also, I did the bandwidth test and my download rate is 80kbps constantly.

#15 User is offline   R45 Icon

• Post Machine
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 05 October 2004 - 08:14 AM

I've spent the better part of 5 months trying to get TSTT to address this issue. Finally someone visited me, they came and tested my line (said it was capable of 1.5mbit...), they gave me a new modem (same problem, I now have an alcatel, speedstream and zoom). So I'm back in the same position, they couldn't figure out the problem. They've also confirmed that it isn't a software issue on my end (trojan or whatnot), which I checked for in the first place. To make matters worse, after they did their tests I realised that I no longer have dialtone on my phone..... So now I have to wait "5 - 10 Business days" for someone to come fix that.

Brilliant.

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users