TSTT Forum: Need help SE T316 - TSTT Forum

Page 1 of 1

Need help SE T316

#1 User is offline   rmjb Icon

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 September 2004 - 09:16 AM

I'm setting this up for someone to use it as a GPRS modem on their PC @ home. They got a data cable that's USB and added a COM port to windows. The cable also came with a CD with drivers for cable and endless phones, including the T610.

I installed the data cable drivers and the SE software and stuff and the software detects the phone on the new COM port, but I can't get the PC to recognize the phone as a modem. I'm trying and trying and nothing. It's running Windows XP SP2 and when I go to the Add Modem wizard it doesn't detect a modem so I select it from a list. The list for Sony Ericsson has these four entries:

T300 Series IR Modem
T610 Series IR Modem
T610 Series Bluetooth Modem
T610 Series Serial Modem

Note there's no T300 Series Serial Modem.

Does anyone have any experience with this phone? What am I doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- rmjb

#2 User is offline   wevolutions Icon

• Pip

Posted 12 September 2004 - 10:57 AM

I originally bought a data cable for a Nokia 7210 phone and TSTT told me that 'Yes, I can use it as a modem.' But somehow it was showing up as being connected to the PC but not showing up as a Modem in the List even after installing all the necessary drivers and software that was provided on a CD.

So I did some research on the net and this is what I found out. NOT ALL phones can be used as modems via data cables, Nokia and Sony Ericson included!

So that is why I switched to bluetooth and got a bluetooth phone and so far it works great. (Except for some annoying disconnects, no problems.)

If your phone has bluetooth on it, then you just need to buy a Bluetooth device to connect to your PC via USB. And in 5 minutes flat, you are connected and surfing!

Here is some information that I hope will be useful to anyone setting up GPRS:

http://www.taniwha.org.uk/

#3 User is offline   acqua112 Icon

• Pip

Posted 14 September 2004 - 08:39 PM

@ rmjb
I have a Sony Ericsson T610 which works pretty fine as a modem, doesn't matter if connected via Infrared, Cable or Bluetooth. Once you have everything properly installed and set up it doesn't matter which connection you use.
With Sony Ericsson there are two important things to consider, otherwise won't you get a connection at all!
Go into your Control Panel. There you will find an icon called: Phone Monitor Options. Open it. Go to the tab: COM Ports and select the one that has been assigned for the USB cable. Enable it, click on Apply and then on OK. As for the set up of the phone as a modem. The selection you get is normal. I would try the one for the T610 as I think, that Sony Ericsson phones all come with the nearly same modem functionality. To find out if it works, simply open: Phone and Modem Options in the Control Panel (same place where you have installed the phone). Go on the tab: Modems, select the Sony Ericsson and click on Properties. Click on the tab: Diagnostic and there on the button Query Modem. If your cell phone is installed correctly, you see a long line of numbers and letter coming up in the window below, otherwise will XP give you an error alert and you have to try it with a different driver/setting.
The next thing you have to do is to set up the phone itself which is quite simple. TSTT has the procedure in the little booklet for mzone. Page 5 and 6.
Last thing you do is to establish a new network connection in Windows. Which is quite simple too. There is only one tricky thing. The number TSTT published doesn't work for some people for some reason. I am lucky with *99***5#. A friend of mine uses *99***1#. A little bit of trial and error.
If you do everything the way I described it should go smooth and you are 'good to go'! ;)

@ wevolutions
People like you who doesn't have anything constructive to say just make me sick! :wacko: I don't think that your idea of buying a bluetooth adapter really helped out. First YOU buy a generic data cable that doesn't work and then a bluetooth phone and and an adapter. I think to start with the original data cable will cost YOU cheaper.

As for GPRS. I think the normal TSTT dial-up is still the better thing to go with. I mean, it depends what you want to do. It's ok for email and chat. But forget it, when you need to download more then 4 MB regularly. P2P doesn't work either.

You all have a pleasant day.
acqua112

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users