TSTT Forum: wow.net and greendot not playing nice together - TSTT Forum

Page 1 of 1

wow.net and greendot not playing nice together

#1 User is offline   Dreadman Icon

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 September 2008 - 07:27 PM

Wow.net servers were down for a few days last week. When I check mails at the office today it downloading but not sending. Getting authentication errors. So I give their helpful tech support a call. The guy asks who is our ISP and I say Greendot. He says well you have to get the outgoing mail server from Greendot which didn't make a lot of sense but I assume this is a tech guy he know he stuff. He said this was a new thing and unfortunately he didn't know what that outgoing server address was so I have to give Greendot a call. Give greendot a call and was told a tech will call. One did call and give me the information I requested but this is where it gets interesting. Greendot have google as their mail server. So they just give me the smtp.gmail.com but no username or password since greendot connection doesn't use that.
To cut a long story short I had to set up a new gmail address and turn on the pop settings to send email from my wow.net account through greendot.
Even better is that since gmail is now the outgoing server, replies to emails we send out go to the gmail account not the wow.net account. WTH?
This make sense to anybody?

#2 User is offline   syljon Icon

• PipPip

Posted 23 September 2008 - 04:13 PM

View PostDreadman, on Sep 22 2008, 07:27 PM, said:

Wow.net servers were down for a few days last week. When I check mails at the office today it downloading but not sending. Getting authentication errors. So I give their helpful tech support a call. The guy asks who is our ISP and I say Greendot. He says well you have to get the outgoing mail server from Greendot which didn't make a lot of sense but I assume this is a tech guy he know he stuff. He said this was a new thing and unfortunately he didn't know what that outgoing server address was so I have to give Greendot a call. Give greendot a call and was told a tech will call. One did call and give me the information I requested but this is where it gets interesting. Greendot have google as their mail server. So they just give me the smtp.gmail.com but no username or password since greendot connection doesn't use that.
To cut a long story short I had to set up a new gmail address and turn on the pop settings to send email from my wow.net account through greendot.
Even better is that since gmail is now the outgoing server, replies to emails we send out go to the gmail account not the wow.net account. WTH?
This make sense to anybody?

Yes. ISPs do this to avoid relaying.. people who are not their customers using their mail server to send spam.
try editing the 'Reply To E-mail' in your pop3 account.

#3 User is offline   Dreadman Icon

• PipPip

Posted 23 September 2008 - 10:23 PM

thanks for the tip.
I'll fiddle with the settings in Outlook Express

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users