TSTT Forum: Hot Spots - TSTT Forum

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Hot Spots In T&T

#1 Guest_Guest_Trinair_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 14 March 2005 - 02:58 PM

Can any one say if there are any wireless hot spots in Trinidad?? If so where are they located and what are the system requirements to use them?? Is the any fee for the use of hot spots if available on the island??

#2 User is offline   srnoth Icon

• Forum Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:Computers, music, electronics...

Posted 14 April 2005 - 07:45 PM

Hi there,

I'm not sure quite what you are asking. There seems to be two types of hotspots in Trinidad that I can think of. There are wireless routers that home users have setup and neglected to setup WEP encryption, and so anyone can connect to the router and use their internet. This is probably technically illegal, and it might annoy the heck out of someone if you do it too often and they figure out what you're doing. Basically this works, but don't park up outside their house all day stealing their bandwidth :ph34r: ;)

I recently had my laptop on in the car on a drive from St. Augustine to Westmoorings, and I had Netstumbler running. It detected about 45 wireless networks, and about half of them did not even have encryption!

Then there are the 'official' hotspots, where a company/person sets up a wireless router with they intention of sharing wireless access with customers or with the general public. These used to be few and far between in Trinidad, but they are starting to become more and more popular. A few I can think of are Movie Towne, Haagen Dazs at Ellerslie Plaza and then TSTT has started offering wifi access at special events such as this years carnival, and Admin recently posted that TSTT was offering wifi at the Queen's Park Oval.

Also, last time I checked, Laptop City in Trincity Mall has an unencrypted access point with high speed internet. I'm not sure that is intentional, and I did get some strange looks from people walking past as I sat there on the ground with my laptop ;-) .

You asked what equipment is necessary to connect to these access points. Basically, you need a laptop (a desktop would actually work too, but you would look even more suspicious if you were lugging your desktop through Trincity Mall and setting it up outside the laptop shop :blink: ) , with a wireless card (802.11b or 802.11g). That is basically all you need. Most laptops bought today already come with a wireless card built in, if not I recently bought one off amazon.com for $15US.

Good luck with your wifi-ing,
Stephen.

#3 Guest_Guest_Trinair_*

Posted 17 April 2005 - 05:23 PM

Thanks for the reply Stephen, Stealing bandwidth LOL, I gotta try that. Any how I live in the US and visited T&T recently and was looking for some public unencrypted access point. I tried Movie Towne but was unable to connect. My Comp worked fine at Ft. Lauderdale Hollywood Airport prior to arrival in POS. I am a pilot and use my wireless connection at a lot of US airports. I am thinking that the service at Movie Towne is unreliable or was down when I visited. I will try the other public locations in the future. I do plan to set up my own Router at my home in Trinidad. Again thanks for the info.

#4 User is offline   srnoth Icon

• Forum Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 April 2005 - 05:40 PM

No problem man. By the way, it's called 'borrowing', not stealing. LOL. I never tried MovieTowne myself, just heard about it from others. By the way, Piarco Airport now has a hotspot :blink: ! Finally, we've caught up with the times :rolleyes: . Just yesterday I was sitting in the Pizza Boys upstairs and surfing away! There are actually 2 hotspots there, a TSTT one and another one called 'hotspot'. Nice and descriptive. Anyway, as usual, the TSTT one didn't work properly, but the other one did, and it was nice and fast.

Laterz,
Stephen.

#5 User is offline   admin Icon

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 18 April 2005 - 07:00 PM

Yes, I tried the Piarco hotspot on Wednesday morning too ... full signal, but wasn't able to browse any site with TSTT's TSTT_WiFi SSID. I was acually able to ssh/telnet to my US server, I could also do a telnet on port 80 and got a connection, but the browsing simply didn't work. Pinging some servers showed plenty packet loss (~40%).
The other 'hotspot' (SSID) didn't work for me. Maybe I was too far away (in front of the departure gate area at Rituals at 5:50am having a coffee).

#6 User is offline   srnoth Icon

• Forum Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 April 2005 - 08:30 PM

Hi admin,

That's odd. I was actually getting signal from the 'hotspot' from in the carpark! What's odd though, is I was sitting upstairs in Pizza Boys, and the signal was 2 bars, then all of a sudden it shoots up to full signal. Don't know why. Maybe they're still experimenting with it.

I was thinking that maybe for the TSTT one you have to use a proxy server. I think that's what they do at UWI, anyone know if this is the case?

Laterz,
Stephen.

#7 User is offline   admin Icon

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 25 April 2005 - 05:54 AM

I am again at PiarcoAirport(.com), getting a good signal from TSTT WiFi, a not so good signal from 'hotspot' and a very good one from 'BWIA Security'. I can log on to TSTT's WiFi, can telnet to my US server, but I cannot get a web page (not even TSTT's), nor can I retrieve my email ... that must be a coldspot! Location: Upstairs, international departure at the food parlour at Rituals, watching Immigration. Again, I can only get onto the Internet (surf, email, etc.) using my GPRS cell phone.
Despite TSTT's huge advertising signs ... 'TSTT Wi-Fi HotSpot - WIRELESS INTERNET ACCESS' ... I am unable to use the service. ... well, I can ping all the servers etc... but that doesn't help too much.

Quick update ... I am now at international departure Gate 14 and I am getting very good access via TSTT's Wi-Fi hotspot. Very nice speed ... (signal strength is exactly the same as before).
--------
Your current bandwidth reading is:
1.21 Mbps
which means you can download at 155.16 KB/sec. from our servers.
--------

#8 User is offline   atarat Icon

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 May 2005 - 09:20 AM

Has anybody ever been able to connect to the Wi-Fi at Haagen-Dazs? I've been three times and each time I get an IP address but no action. The worst part is that the staff can never tell you if they're having a problem or not.

#9 Guest_Guest_*

Posted 22 March 2006 - 03:42 PM

theres an unsecured wireless server at the mall where i work. i can detect the network & connect to it but everytime i try to get unto the internet my dial up connection prompt opens.

can anyone tell me how to connect to the internet & what must i do to ensure security?

#10 User is offline   South Man Icon

• Board Warrior
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2006 - 07:58 PM

Well I've never experienced the dial up connection popping up once it's on the wireless connection, however you can disable it when using it I suppose.

BTW: I read that there's supposed to be another hotspot at TGI Fridays (BP Building)

#11 Guest_Guest_*

Posted 22 March 2006 - 08:31 PM

In your IE settings choose "Never dial a connection"

#12 User is offline   R45 Icon

• Post Machine
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 March 2006 - 08:40 PM

Trotters and Sweet Lime in Woodbrook are supposed to have hotspots as well.

#13 Guest_Guest_*

Posted 31 March 2006 - 04:07 PM

Changing the IE settings didn make a difference. Can anyone give step by step instructions on all the configurations & settings that need to be changed?

#14 User is offline   Senti_al Icon

• Post Machine
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 April 2006 - 04:03 PM

has anyone ever found a way to use p2p programs and torrents with wireless connections..i couldnt get them to work but from wat i know they dont work well with wireless...hoever i did some reseach and found out that u must forward the ports and this will correct this progblem .i got a program called porttrigger and wen im in my office in ngc moday i could try it out and forward the ports...now im not sure this will work so can anyone tell me if im on the right track or if there is more things to be done (of course i took off windows firewall and anything that most likely will block it)

if anyone knows other methods to get p2p apps to work that they would like to share it will be most appreciated

#15 User is offline   Hexxx Icon

• Board Warrior
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 August 2006 - 07:43 PM

<quote>
I recently had my laptop on in the car on a drive from St. Augustine to Westmoorings, and I had Netstumbler running. It detected about 45 wireless networks, and about half of them did not even have encryption!
</quote>

I tried netstumbler and it didn't detect anything for me here. Wish I lived near one of those wi-fi sites!

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users