TSTT Forum: TSTT IPS BANNED BY LARGE NETWORKS - TSTT Forum

• (2 Pages)
  • +

TSTT IPS BANNED BY LARGE NETWORKS we have been banned...

#1 User is offline   Wolfie Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Post icon  Posted 23 March 2005 - 03:16 AM

TSTT IP addresses used by DSL and Dialup services have been banned globally on large networks such as cj.com, bfast.com, fastclick.com, overture.com and MANY others. When i investigated, these companies stated that they were recieving denial of service attacks from our ip addresses, probably by worms or other DDOS agents.

TSTT has never taken care of the issue so we are still blacklisted. This has been the situation for about a year or more now.

What do we do now? use a proxy if you need to visit these sites.

Nice going there TSTT admins, way to keep your network secure. Please take care of this blacklist, i believe you know who to go to. I wonder how fast you would fix a problem with mailhost.tstt.net.tt being blacklisted for open relays? do i need to remind you of what happened a few years ago?

gah...Trinidad

#2 User is offline   South Man Icon

• Board Warrior
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 March 2005 - 01:45 PM

Burr? :huh:

Ummm I'm getting onto those sites easy ???

#3 User is offline   nyro Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 March 2005 - 03:41 PM

So am I!

#4 User is offline   Nightwolf Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 March 2005 - 07:41 PM

Got on to all except bfast.com

#5 User is offline   Wolfie Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 March 2005 - 09:22 PM

certain subnets are banned. for eg, 200.108.28.* i should mention that the advertising agents on these websites do not work for some TSTT ips. A good example would be qksrv.net .

#6 User is offline   Nightwolf Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 March 2005 - 02:09 AM

Hmmm I see what you mean, proxy for it yes.

#7 Guest_Unknown_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 30 March 2005 - 12:49 PM

Wolfie,

How do you know for sure some of the IPs are banned by these sites? How can I verify it?

#8 User is offline   Wolfie Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 April 2005 - 12:05 AM

Use an ip address in the subnet that i mentioned and try to connect to www.qwksrv.net. If you get a connection refusal then you're blocked, if you are forwarded to their information page then you are ok. This ofcourse is just one of the services that are blocking TSTT ips, the others would need to be tested in different ways.

#9 Guest_xaion_*

Posted 23 June 2005 - 08:26 PM

i noticed the same blacklist thing. some irc servers were banning me for 'open proxy'.
thought it was my pc so i got more firewall, anitspyware, anitrojan, antivirus software an they all say my pc is clean.
but wen i went on some of those sites that check security they said my ip was blacklisted an this may be due to spam and DDos attacks from d ip. i got dialup so i tried diff ips an same prob.

i think http://openrbl.org/ is one site cant remember teh others. try it ppl an see if u get anythin maybe its my pc... no wait why am i giving tstt the benefit of the doubt... its TSTT fault of course!!! :)

#10 Guest_Guest_guest_*

Posted 24 June 2005 - 05:46 AM

Here's a couple hints for you.

IP addresses are assigned dynamically. So you and maybe a dozen other people have used a particular IP during the course of the day. The IP may have gotten on a blacklist way before you even got it. If you want to know whether an IP is on a blacklist you can use the spam database lookup at DNS Stuff

A lot of mass mailing worms use their own embedded SMTP engine to do the nasty things they do. Many users do not keep their PCs clean and anti-virus up to date. ISPs may use spam/virus filtering on their email systems but there's not really much that can be done about these worms (as they do not pass through the ISPs email system) apart from warning the public.

Really, it's users just like us who cause these kinds of problems because we don't keep our PCs up to date. We blindly go opening an attachment in an email without scanning it frst, etc. So know the facts, do the research before pointing fingers and assigning blame. And furthermore, know what you're talking about before making those statements and misleading people. Let's try to be more constructive in our comments.

#11 Guest_Critic_*

Post icon  Posted 25 June 2005 - 09:21 AM

Wolfie is just as usual. Clearly misleading the public into thinking that it's the isp problem. It's everyone's problem!! Clean alluh machines.

Alluh try greendot as yet? If that's the sign of competition, god help us....TSTT's ADSL service is much better than any ISP service I've used in Trinidad. They even compare well with the services of Wanadoo - a big UK ISP (wanadoo.co.uk).

Although TSTT needs more application services to make you greedy feel good about paying for service, some of you are still content with attempting to steal internet access and show off that you're the biggest hacker in the world (like meh pal Wolfie).

Wolfie, some advice, keep your negative thoughts to yuh self and give the people good advice, with small things like anti-virus updates and anti-spam software.

I'm sure this message would be deleted by tomorrow....

#12 Guest_Guest_guest_*

Posted 25 June 2005 - 11:39 AM

List of software I use:
Tred Internet security 2005
Lavasoft Adaware Personal
PC bug Doctor
XoftSpy
Windows washer
DustbusterXP

and gosh man people with DSL how hard is to to keep windows up to date, I mean lay off the #### and keep your pc clean

#13 User is offline   Wolfie Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 August 2005 - 01:27 PM

Critic, on Jun 25 2005, 09:21 AM, said:

Wolfie is just as usual. Clearly misleading the public into thinking that it's the isp problem. It's everyone's problem!! Clean alluh machines.

Alluh try greendot as yet? If that's the sign of competition, god help us....TSTT's ADSL service is much better than any ISP service I've used in Trinidad. They even compare well with the services of Wanadoo - a big UK ISP (wanadoo.co.uk).

Although TSTT needs more application services to make you greedy feel good about paying for service, some of you are still content with attempting to steal internet access and show off that you're the biggest hacker in the world (like meh pal Wolfie).

Wolfie, some advice, keep your negative thoughts to yuh self and give the people good advice, with small things like anti-virus updates and anti-spam software.

I'm sure this message would be deleted by tomorrow....

Hello Critic,

I just saw this message. Let me not bother to get into an arguement with you. I will simply answer your accusations in point form so that you can understand.

1) I pay for TSTT DSL.
2) You are making an idiotic point about antispam and antivirus software. I was talking about advertising networks that we use for website income generation. What does that have to do with cleaning a Windows operating system?
3) Commission Junction, aka CJ.com emailed me, telling me that they had banned TSTT subnets.
4) From what you are saying, it looks like you believe that normal email worms or something of the sort were attacking these larger networks. I suggest you re-examine that point of view beacuse it is absolutely absurd.
5) They seem to have taken care of the problem, as i can get through to all the websites i mentioned.
6) An ISP is responsible for curbing DDOS attack traffic that originate from their networks. They are also responsible for getting their ips unbanned after such an incidient for the benefit of their customers.

P.S. IF TSTT Ips are banned then that equals less income for people who use affiliate advertising. I will continue to speak out about their problems so that they can fix them. If i call them and tell them what is happening they will pretend that it isn't (which has happened before). This is not about showing off to be hacker or anything. Hacking has nothing to do with this. This is about getting quality service for your money, if you rather have a company dictate your level of service then that's fine but don't knock on me because i am trying to get them to do better.

#14 Guest_Critic_*

Posted 10 August 2005 - 10:47 PM

Wolfie, on Aug 10 2005, 01:27 PM, said:

2) You are making an idiotic point about antispam and antivirus software. I was talking about advertising networks that we use for website income generation. What does that have to do with cleaning a Windows operating system?

4) From what you are saying, it looks like you believe that normal email worms or something of the sort were attacking these larger networks. I suggest you re-examine that point of view beacuse it is absolutely absurd.

6) An ISP is responsible for curbing DDOS attack traffic that originate from their networks. They are also responsible for getting their ips unbanned after such an incidient for the benefit of their customers.

Blundering ###....covering tracks with some lame damage control and no evidence....

An ounce of prevention makes a difference, as i'll now explain to yourself and the populace.

I am sure that the general population of computer users in trinidad - those using the TSTT network - may be unaware that by not updating their anti-virus software may result in their machine becoming infected or compromised.

This may lead to further things. Worms and viruses may leave trojans on infected pcs causing them to act like zombies in planned and orchestrated DDOS attack traffic to your "website income generations sites". And with good reason - these sites generate income - so by attacking them you attack the very individuals making money. Wealth creation sites are the key target for worm/virus coders.

The point is, misguided Wolfie, the ISP cannot stop the actions of individuals. It is up to forums like these to explain to the populace that the actions of individuals affects the network.

Are you suggesting that the ISP filter all outbound traffic to the internet, looking for DDOS traffic originating from the TSTT network? Come on man, be real...that would require huge resources, it would infringe on our rights, as well as if they decide to block someone, they could face legal battles on a daily basis...LOL..they not that stupid.... :huh: It would also be challenging to detect, since a DDOS attack would be easier recognised at the destination, not source.

Again, misguided Wolfie, I strongly believe that the source of the problem is the individuals who use the network. WE need to take more responsibility as a people and clean OUR infected pcs, that way we ensure the network stays clean and can be used.

:D

#15 User is offline   Wolfie Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 August 2005 - 11:04 PM

I do agree with your point that people must clean their Windows systems but then that's basic maintainence.

I'm sorry but i don't subscribe to the idea that the popular spam/email worms attacked those sites, you are free to believe it if you want but i've seen infected TSTT servers with my own eyes.

An ISP can throttle DDOS attacks by isolating port bandwidth throughputs and then filtering such traffic. It does not require huge resources but it does require skilled ones. We do this sort of monitoring in corporate environments everyday.

We have no privacy/internet freedom rights in Trinidad. The TSTT contract contains no such information. Legally they should be able to filter whatever traffic they want, such as they do when you first get dsl.

You are quick to say that i am misguided, maybe i am. Seeing old linux boxes on TSTT's server subnets, spidering out multiple flood connections can really change one's direction.

Tell your employer that i am happy that they got checkpoint and i am happy that they closed the multiple security breaches that existed on their networks some time ago. There are still some but then you guys would not have a job if i told you.

Now get off my back and go do your job.

P.S. It has been my experience that people who show proof TSTT's major insecurities, get silenced. I'm not about to walk into that trap. But you can ask any experienced person who was in the 'field' at that time and not on the payrole as to what was going on. You can send more insults if you want, it really helps us all.

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users