TSTT Forum: ADSL Crawling - TSTT Forum

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

ADSL Crawling

#76 Guest_Guest_guest_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 22 October 2005 - 08:25 AM

Yes that's horrible, that's why tour speed is so slow. If you look carefuly you'd see a high error count. Imagine for every error you have retransmission then you would be very slow.

#77 User is offline   woodyear99 Icon

• Board Warrior
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 October 2005 - 09:20 AM

Hehe no that's not bad...that's just the unbeatable network :P

Seriously call those bastards daily....

#78 Guest_Guest_*

Posted 22 October 2005 - 09:23 AM

Ways to improve snr are: 1. Cut down extentions to 2 max.
2. Put a line filter on all extentions. Actually the best way is to put the filter at the protector coming in. Wire your adsl straight from there off the filter and then wire the phones on the other port. (Each filter adds 200ft of resistance to the line).
3. You can try this (put the dsl straight on the line bypassing the filter using a y connector and only use the filter to clean out the dsl signal to you regular phones). This one improved my snr by 8db.
4. If you're using the speedstream 5100 not with the grey face but with the black face with an activity light then carry it to tstt and have them change it. Those are not as sensitive as the grey faced ones or the new 4100 series, I actually got 6-8 db more with the 4100 series modem.

Hope this helps someone now and in the future.

#79 Guest_Guest_*

Posted 22 October 2005 - 09:25 AM

Any snr lower than 15db you will have a lot of trouble. Between 15 and 20 is maginal. And above 20 is fine.

#80 User is offline   StarCon Icon

• Post Machine
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 October 2005 - 12:15 PM

Yes that's horrible, that's why tour speed is so slow. If you look carefuly you'd see a high error count. Imagine for every error you have retransmission then you would be very slow.

that's the strange thing - error count is low, transmission rate always hits the advertised 256kbit - and it has been running reliably over the last couple months.
I'm down to 9.5 btw.

Ways to improve snr are: 1. Cut down extentions to 2 max.
2. Put a line filter on all extentions. Actually the best way is to put the filter at the protector coming in. Wire your adsl straight from there off the filter and then wire the phones on the other port. (Each filter adds 200ft of resistance to the line).
3. You can try this (put the dsl straight on the line bypassing the filter using a y connector and only use the filter to clean out the dsl signal to you regular phones). This one improved my snr by 8db.
4. If you're using the speedstream 5100 not with the grey face but with the black face with an activity light then carry it to tstt and have them change it. Those are not as sensitive as the grey faced ones or the new 4100 series, I actually got 6-8 db more with the 4100 series modem.

Hope this helps someone now and in the future.

thanks for the info - I have the old 5200 and I ran a separate line just for the dsl.
I'll try adding a couple filters again.

Anyhow, I made up my mind already .. I won't renew my contract with them once it's up. digicel is coming and will roll out wimax in the near future - that's the way to go.

#81 User is offline   woodyear99 Icon

• Board Warrior
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 October 2005 - 08:06 PM

"Anyhow, I made up my mind already .. I won't renew my contract with them once it's up. digicel is coming and will roll out wimax in the near future - that's the way to go. "

Do you have any information that supports this? I hope there aren't a set of hurdles to be crossed for them to offer broadband service...

#82 User is offline   StarCon Icon

• Post Machine
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 October 2005 - 01:18 AM

Do you have any information that supports this? I hope there aren't a set of hurdles to be crossed for them to offer broadband service...

indeed.. check this article

"Still, the company is looking at its wireless broadband options. According to Fontanez, the company is more interested in WiMAX wireless broadband technology than UMTS. "We think that technology is more adaptable to the needs of the market," he says."

Though the article is quite old and is primarily focused on the Jamaican market, the direction seems clear.

also check out this
one

"Digicel is extremely excited about the opportunity to apply for a license for a submarine fiber network in Jamaica. Internet access is key to youth development, cultural and economic diversification and expansion," said Digicel Group CEO Raoul Fontanez. "We are confident that with this network in place, Digicel can begin to offer broadband services and bring substantial benefits to the economic, educational and social fabric of Jamaica."

Mr. Fontanez added, "This initiative is part of our continued long-term commitment to create a seamless network across the Caribbean with enormous benefits for the region. Our goal is to build a state-of-the-art Pan-Caribbean fiber optic network ensuring affordable and innovative mobile communications that fosters personal and professional connections between Caribbean nations and people."

sure.. maybe it's a bit early to celebrate, but they'll get there

#83 User is offline   South Man Icon

• Board Warrior
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 November 2005 - 01:22 AM

Just did a bandwidth test and it read 156.80kbps <_<

The net is moving so slow right now....steups

#84 User is offline   srnoth Icon

• Forum Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:Computers, music, electronics...

Posted 19 November 2005 - 11:06 PM

Hey there guys,

What y'all are saying about the SNR is pretty strange. I actually never bothered to check it because whenever I have problems with my DSL, it's because of TSTT's network, not the connection from my house to the exchange.

Anyway, I just checked it after reading what y'all said, and I am currently at 21, and my speed is how it's supposed to be, somewhere around 256kbps. However, looking at the log the modem takes every 15 minutes, my SNR was around 15 in the day and was going as low as 12 at one point. However, the net has been moving up to speed all day by me. So why is it that even though I am getting what y'all said was unacceptable SRN, my net is still working properly.

I do live almost 3 km from the exchange, and my in house telephone wiring is 'less than perfect'. In fact there is atleast 100 feet of extension cable between my modem and the box where the line comes into my house. Yet still, I have never had any problems with the connection between my house and the exchange. And the highest error count on the log was 8.

I think this really goes to show that it is TSTT's network that causes the problems, and not the actual connections between our houses and the exchange. What do you guys think?

Laterz,
Stephen.

#85 Guest_Guest_*

Posted 20 November 2005 - 06:42 PM

Your SNR gives you an idea of your line status. The SNR is the ratio of signal to the noise on your line. A low SNR will be affected to a greater extent by a spike in noise than a line with a higher SNR. Therefore, if you line has a low SNR and small spikes in noise then it will behave just as well as a line with a higher SNR and larger spikes.

#86 Guest_Guest_noob_*

Posted 20 November 2005 - 08:50 PM

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Line Attenuation 10 db 3.5 db
Noise Margin 31 db 31 db

Is this good or bad?

#87 User is offline   aka Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 February 2006 - 02:10 PM

SN Margin (AKA Signal to Noise Margin or Signal to Noise Ratio)
Relative strength of the DSL signal to Noise ratio. 6dB is the lowest dB manufactures specify for modem to be able to synch. In some instances interleaving can help raise the noise margin to an acceptable level. The higher the number the better for this measurement.
6dB or below is bad and will experience no synch or intermittent synch problems
7dB-10dB is fair but does not leave much room for variances in conditions
11dB-20dB is good with no synch problems
20dB-28dB is excellent
29dB or above is outstanding

Line Attenuation
Measure of how much the signal has degraded between the DSLAM and the modem. Maximum signal loss recommendation is usually about 60dB. The lower the dB the better for this measurement.
20dB and below is outstanding
20dB-30dB is excellent
30dB-40dB is very good
40dB-50dB is good
50dB-60dB is poor and may experience connectivity issues
60dB or above is bad and will experience connectivity issues

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users