• +

new to dsl

#16 User is offline   admin Icon

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 21 July 2006 - 04:33 PM

dpds68, on Jul 21 2006, 03:39 PM, said:

Thank you again for all of the Info and keep up the good work , what benifits will I get by using Ethernet over USB ?

With a single end user device (e.g. PC); none, but when using more than one PC, you can connect a switch or wireless router to the ADSL router and provide Internet for several PCs.

#17 User is offline   halajeet Icon

• Post Machine
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 July 2006 - 04:50 PM

admin, on Jul 21 2006, 12:29 PM, said:

halajeet, on Jul 21 2006, 04:21 AM, said:

But instead of doing all that I found that if I use "ADSL Auto-Connect" the modem auto-configures most of the parameters for you. It takes a while for the modem to go through the process though so patience is required.

I tried that and the router automatically configured into 'bridge mode', which might work using USB. But I wanted to use Ethernet and configured as a router.

Odd... when I did it, the modem detected the 0/35 connection and configured itself for routed mode. What I had to do after was change the authentication type and thay was it.

#18 User is offline   Senti_al Icon

• Post Machine
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 July 2006 - 10:18 PM

even doe i can use my torrent downloader and p2p now..its still being slowed down by a internal firewall which cant be disabled ..not even in the admin page ..so im deciding that since i was already goin to buy a wireless router , that i might as well get a good dsl modem also and it wont have to have a router in it since ill be getting the wireless router ..so my question is , wats the best make and model of dsl modem and a wireless router to get that would work correctly with tstt services

linksys is a good make from wat i hear but wat model

looking forward to replies cuz ill be goin modem and router shoppin by monday lol

#19 User is offline   halajeet Icon

• Post Machine
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 July 2006 - 12:40 PM

What modem you have again?

#20 User is offline   dpds68 Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 July 2006 - 07:05 AM

Isnt the Paradyne 6211 also a Router ?

#21 User is offline   Senti_al Icon

• Post Machine
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 July 2006 - 06:45 PM

yes but it doesnt matter cuz im replacing that also , thats why id like to know a dsl modem and a wireless router that is compatible to use with tstt

#22 User is offline   StarCon Icon

• Post Machine
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 July 2006 - 09:32 PM

Senti_al, on Jul 22 2006, 10:18 PM, said:

even doe i can use my torrent downloader and p2p now..its still being slowed down by a internal firewall which cant be disabled

did you forward the ports for bt ?

#23 User is offline   Senti_al Icon

• Post Machine
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 July 2006 - 12:09 AM

if u read back or see my other posts then it will say that ive been asking how to forward the ports on the paradyne modem (exactly wat to put in and where ) becuz ive been putting in stuff and it aint working .. and youd see that i was talking bout the internal firewall and hence to reason im changing the modem itself and replacing with a better one cuz paradyne is a cheap a** product..

so to my original question -

wats the best make and model of dsl modem and a wireless router to get that would work correctly with tstt services?

#24 User is offline   StarCon Icon

• Post Machine
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 July 2006 - 12:29 PM

Senti_al, on Jul 25 2006, 12:09 AM, said:

so to my original question -

wats the best make and model of dsl modem and a wireless router to get that would work correctly with tstt services?

aye sorry my fault .. was just skimming the thread.

I had the old speedstream in combination with a linksys wrt54g - worked like a charm.

buying one that u could use down here might be difficult, I saw a couple zoom (?) modems at amazon that support pppoa, but mostly used stuff from american providers.

#25 User is offline   SUP3R Icon

• Overseas Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 July 2006 - 01:41 PM

Never had a problem with my SpeedStream when I had DSL.

#26 User is offline   dpds68 Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 July 2006 - 02:44 PM

Ok my DSL is working well with the Paradyne 6211 and I got a Advantek 8 Port switch today so I will be networking tonight :) ................. Any tips ????

#27 User is offline   dpds68 Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 July 2006 - 04:35 PM

Ok the network seems to be working ( The other computer has not come home as yet ) , so I have the Paradyne modem going to port 1 on the Switch and the comp on port 2 and all is well , so Do I just DHCP the other comp on port 3 on the switch . ????

#28 User is offline   Senti_al Icon

• Post Machine
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 July 2006 - 07:23 PM

im buying the modem and wireless router from a source in trinidad , good prices but if he has the linksys wrt54g ill take that and also get the speedstram modem or maybe something better ...keeping in mind that it must match tstt requirements

#29 User is offline   Senti_al Icon

• Post Machine
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 July 2006 - 06:43 PM

hello to all again , new problem dat emerged since i started leaving my pc on while goin to work...

i set things to download and wen i come back home and i check the pc the connection is down ...not the download but the connection, cuz i cant even open a internet page ..nutting works, but it still shows connected in the taskbar..this happens whether i have a static ip or using dhcp (doesnt matter )

does the connection timeout or the ip expires or something and drops the connection ???? ..this has happened monday , tuesday and today ..i leave home with it dling and i come back to see the download didnt finish cuz the connection was lost ..

to get back the connection i have to go in the admin page and reboot router and sometimes reenter setting on profile ..

i have a Paradyne 6211 modem that tstt gives out now to save money ;)

#30 User is offline   dpds68 Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 July 2006 - 07:10 AM

dpds68, on Jul 25 2006, 04:35 PM, said:

Ok the network seems to be working ( The other computer has not come home as yet ) , so I have the Paradyne modem going to port 1 on the Switch and the comp on port 2 and all is well , so Do I just DHCP the other comp on port 3 on the switch . ????

Also do I use a cross cable between the DSL Modem/Router and the switch the switch has no Uplink port ?

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users