• (3 Pages)
  • +

new to dsl

#31 User is offline   halajeet Icon

• Post Machine
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 July 2006 - 11:12 PM

Well it's already working so just check what type of cable you have. Most likely it's a straight.

#32 User is offline   dpds68 Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 31 July 2006 - 02:17 PM

Yes it's a Straight cable but I havent got the Laptop as yet the guy told me today that I will get it in 2 Weeks , so I am yet to test my Network :angry:

#33 User is offline   halajeet Icon

• Post Machine
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 31 July 2006 - 09:34 PM

Device to switch = straight cable
Switch to switch = cross cable

So for the laptop, get a straight cable.

#34 User is offline   Hexxx Icon

• Board Warrior
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 August 2006 - 04:22 PM

dpds68, on Jul 25 2006, 02:44 PM, said:

Ok my DSL is working well with the Paradyne 6211 and I got a Advantek 8 Port switch today so I will be networking tonight :) ................. Any tips ????

Where did you get the Advantek tech? I looked at a few local price lists and only found a Nexxt switch from PRW in El soccoro. I only got my PC and laptop to network, so I figured i would take the 8 port, that $106. I checked the Nexxt site and they only have one 8 port switch there http://www.nexxtsolu...%20switches.htm , the Are there any special uplink ports or anything that should be on the switch for me to be able to connect my DSL to it? I also want to get a wireless access point so I could use my laptop anywhere. I'm not buying the AP until I actually get my TSTT dsl working yet though.

#35 User is offline   srnoth Icon

• Forum Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:Computers, music, electronics...

Posted 20 August 2006 - 07:45 PM

^^Hexxx, that Nexxt switch will work fine. I bought a cheap $200 8-port switch similar to that one about two years ago when we got dsl, and it's still working fine today, and I never had any problems with it. That Nexxt switch also has 'All parts support Auto-MDI/MDIX which can detect and correct crossover cables.' which means basically you can connect the dsl modem to any of the 8 ports using just a regular cable - no need for a crossover cable or an uplink port. You can use crossover cables if you have them though.

That's also a very good price. Go ahead and get it.
Stephen.

#36 User is offline   dpds68 Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 August 2006 - 07:46 AM

That switch will work well the Advantek already has one port not working but hey I paid $100.00 for it

I got it at The Wizz

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users