• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

" Click " With Flow

#16 User is offline   philip Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 August 2006 - 09:11 AM

i think this would be a great idea. i visit the digicell probems site from time to time and it is all but dead.. however digicel issues are discussed a great deal on this site - so it just makes so much sense !! - go for it !!

#17 User is offline   admin Icon

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 09 August 2006 - 12:46 PM

Well, I would install a second IPB board like this (sorry, same old version as it is free) and keep the TSTTproblems site as it is and link them together.
Bear with me as I have currently other matters with higher priority.

#18 User is offline   jevolution Icon

• Forum Jedi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 August 2006 - 07:54 PM

well, i have newer versions of ipb on hand and i wouldnt mind taking up the task if it would help out. I just don't have enough time on my hands to work on a schedule but i will get it done if u give me the opportunity.

Btw i also hope that although ur gona be installing multiple forums, that u decide to integrate the user databases, i.e. one login through out and no multiple registrations. This is better for both the users and conserving user resources.

#19 User is offline   srnoth Icon

• Forum Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:Computers, music, electronics...

Posted 09 August 2006 - 08:11 PM

admin, on Aug 9 2006, 12:46 PM, said:

Well, I would install a second IPB board like this (sorry, same old version as it is free) and keep the TSTTproblems site as it is and link them together.
Bear with me as I have currently other matters with higher priority.

That sounds good. No hurry though - TSTTProblems can be used to discuss the other issues as well for the time being ;-).

And yeah jevolution's idea about integrating the databases so one user account works for both is a good idea.

One thing though, please don't separate companies like have one section for digicel and one for bmobile because a lot of our discussions involve both companies.

Laterz,
Stephen.

#20 User is offline   jevolution Icon

• Forum Jedi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 August 2006 - 02:07 AM

hmm...so ur saying we shoud hav like basically one section for telecom problems?
Its true that many of our discussions involve both companies but there would be some company specific issues and as the forum grows organisation will become a big issue.

#21 User is offline   admin Icon

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 August 2006 - 11:44 AM

jevolution, on Aug 9 2006, 07:54 PM, said:

well, i have newer versions of ipb on hand and i wouldnt mind taking up the task if it would help out. I just don't have enough time on my hands to work on a schedule but i will get it done if u give me the opportunity.

Btw i also hope that although ur gona be installing multiple forums, that u decide to integrate the user databases, i.e. one login through out and no multiple registrations. This is better for both the users and conserving user resources.

Time is my problem tooooo!
And after my move to a different home/office, there are still plenty things to organise.

Do you have 'legal' free new versions of IPB?
Yes, I agree, the user database needs to be the same!

#22 User is offline   jevolution Icon

• Forum Jedi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 August 2006 - 05:57 PM

lol i gues thats the snag isnt it...the legal part. Well unfortunately, the versions i have are not free, and it would not be legal but there are modifications i can make to ipb and the database so that no one can tell that its not a legal copy.
However if you would prefer to take a legal stand, well i would recommend the simple machines forum to you, it is totally free and much more advanced than this version of ipb (which btw is not very secure).
you can check it out at http://www.simplemachines.org/ and decide if this forum would be right for the site.

#23 User is offline   srnoth Icon

• Forum Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 August 2006 - 05:36 PM

I have a question though, cus I don't know much about this forum software. If new software was installed, would it be a simple process of linking the new software to the current database, so that all the user accounts would remain, and all the old posts would be here? 'Cus otherwise it will take a lot of work on admin's part.

Just wondering,
Stephen.

#24 User is offline   srnoth Icon

• Forum Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 August 2006 - 05:41 PM

By the way Mr. Admin, how much space does a board like this take up on your server? The databases and stuff.

Just wondering,
Stephen.

#25 User is offline   admin Icon

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 August 2006 - 10:07 AM

srnoth, on Aug 11 2006, 05:41 PM, said:

By the way Mr. Admin, how much space does a board like this take up on your server? The databases and stuff.

It's currently about 6MB

#26 User is offline   jevolution Icon

• Forum Jedi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 August 2006 - 01:04 AM

srnoth, on Aug 11 2006, 05:36 PM, said:

I have a question though, cus I don't know much about this forum software. If new software was installed, would it be a simple process of linking the new software to the current database, so that all the user accounts would remain, and all the old posts would be here? 'Cus otherwise it will take a lot of work on admin's part.

Just wondering,
Stephen.

Well it would depend on what the new software is, because some play with others better than some if u catch my drift. The user accounts part is pretty simple and in most cases there are guides available online for anyone who needs them. However retaining the posts could be very troublesome depending on the software. However there are 3rd party applications dat handle these tasks quite nicely.

And that 6mb db is a little large actually but i suspect that its because of this version of ipb, there has been a lot of database improvements since this version which keeps the database more organised and compact.

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users