• Group: Members

Posted 08 November 2006 - 06:32 AM

$100 a month?

#17 User is offline   -Kevin- Icon

• Board Warrior
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2006 - 09:24 AM

So What You're Trying To Say Is That You Have A Multi User Password That You Dont Pay For (Meaning Someone Elses)??.. If Thats The Case, I Dont Think It Would Bother You To Pay $100 A Month For An Extra Phoneline.. Especially When You're Gonna Be Using It For Jus Internet Alone.. I Dont Think You'll Be Making Any Other Calls So After You Pay $100+Vat To Install The New Phone Line, You'll Be Smooth Sailing From Then On..

#18 User is offline   aaronb27 Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2006 - 02:40 PM

The multi-user account is my uncle's.
He pays for it and he gave me the password.
I'm not working so i can't afford to install another line.
Isn't there another way.

#19 User is offline   srnoth Icon

• Forum Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:Computers, music, electronics...

Posted 08 November 2006 - 05:51 PM

srnoth, on Nov 7 2006, 09:42 AM, said:

Okay folks just to clear up a few things,

Mr. Kevin please get off your high horse, I know what I am talking about, otherwise I would not have even bothered to post.

With that software that I was talking about, you can link internet connections of many different speeds, and you can set it up to either share the connections between the two, or to use one connection as the main connection (eg DSL) and use the other connection (dialup) as a backup. You can even set it up so it dials the dialup automatically when the DSL goes down. It is a very advanced piece of software, but you can figure it out with a little playing around.

And as mrmodem said you can link two 56k connections together with windows. But because, as y'all said, DSL and dialup are different speeds etc, you need third party software to do it, like the one I was talking about. But that isn't the only one, do a little searching around for internet connection bonding I think is the term I searched for.

Stephen.

My friend currently has TSTT ADSL and uses unlimited TSTT dial-up as back-up.I didn't ask him of the specifics but he only uses the dial-up when ADSL goes down...

Greg

P.S. You CAN make a post here without seeming arrogant

Ok Mr Snorth.. The Whole Point Im Trying To Make Is This:

Instead Of Saying "It Is A Very Advanced Piece Of Software blah blah etc." - Try Actually TELLING Us The NAME Of The Software, And If You DONT Know Then Remain Quiet Please Because You're NOT Helping.. Lol..

Okay Kevin, I'm sorry if I pissed you off by saying 'incorrect'. I'll admit I was a bit pissed at something you said in another thread, and so reacted in that manner.

And sorry if I was not clear about the software, it was a good while back that I used it and I don't have it installed anymore.

But back to the topic,
If you are looking to use a DSL and a Dialup connection together, it can be done. If you want to use your dialup as a backup for DSL, that can be done too. However if you want to use two dialup connections together to boost your speed or something, you need two lines, in which case it might make sense to just get DSL.

Basically the technology used is called 'connection bonding'. Do some reading up on it, its actually quite interesting, although most of the programs that do it efficiently/easily cost a good bit of $$$, like the one I was talking about.

Here are some interesting pages to read:
http://www.vicomsoft...e/bondteam.html
http://www.firebrick...aq-bonding.html

Hope this helps,
Stephen.

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users