TSTT Forum: ADSL speed decrease - TSTT Forum

• (3 Pages)
  • +

ADSL speed decrease ... good times already over?

#1 User is offline   admin Icon

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 22 January 2004 - 08:58 PM

For a bit over a week my ADSL line is slowing down a lot. Before last week, I was able to listen to online music (streaming) for hours, now it is only a few seconds and it stops.
Downloads are falling asleep and performance is not anymore good.
Is that maybe just the area or exchange I am in, or ...?

Unfortunately there is never a word from my so called ISP (TSTT) ... The non existing customer service might be available in 2020. For now they seem more to be under the influence of 1919 ;-)
Anybody else with similar problems?

#2 Guest_Guest_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 23 January 2004 - 02:51 PM

What location are you in?

#3 User is offline   admin Icon

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 January 2004 - 04:37 PM

Diego Martin Exchange

#4 Guest_Guest_*

Posted 31 January 2004 - 05:53 PM

Steups. Now I am thinking twice about taking this adsl.

#5 Guest_Guest_*

Posted 07 February 2004 - 05:38 PM

Well i finally got my adsl but the speed is crappy. I getting 17k max

#6 User is offline   admin Icon

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 February 2004 - 08:42 PM

Well, the TSTT ADSL service sells with 128kbps down and 64 kbps upload (refer to TSTT website) which is 16 KBytes per second down and 8 KBytes per second up.
More or less 4 times faster than a dialup modem.
Anyhow, the experience has shown that we always get more. A few months ago I got 100KB/s down and 25KB/s up as the maximum. It seems these days are already over.
But I have not seen anybody with 17KB yet. How far are you away from the exchange, that is a major factor. And what type of adsl modem do you have?
Well, and then there are certain times when the connection is quite slow because of some routing issues or lots of packet loss on the overseas connection.

What connection speed do you see when you use the diagnostic panel?

#7 Guest_Guest_*

Posted 10 February 2004 - 12:22 AM

Well for starters I am in the curepe area and like walking distance from the exchange. I got the speedtouch 300 series modem from tstt. It shaped like mouse. How can I improve this speed?

#8 Guest_Guest_*

Posted 10 February 2004 - 12:52 AM

Another thing and this just a rumor but I was told that new subscribers to TSTT ADSL are now capped to 15- 20k. Dunno how true it is but it might have truth to it when u consider the speed I am getting

#9 Guest_Guest_*

Posted 16 February 2004 - 07:26 PM

Initially customers were getting Max speeds.. this would have been quite early in the game, testing stages actually before the separate packages were available. There are now 2 packages at rates of 256 and 128 KB
Some customers would have been paying the same price as package 1 and 2 customers but achieving considerably higher speeds. What has now happened is that those people speeds have been reduced generally to 512KB with the intention of creating a package with that speed. If you dont want to pay for that package your speeds will be decreased further until it is within one of the prescribed packages.

#10 Guest_Kashmeed Khan_*

Posted 02 April 2004 - 12:10 PM

I'm thinking about subscribing. what speeds are you getting now. Also how long did they take to install (switch over the line).

#11 User is offline   admin Icon

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 April 2004 - 12:36 PM

Even though some might 'only get 128kbps (that is the downstream speed TSTT is selling the package anyhow), ADSL is still about 4 times faster than modem and with a pretty much consistant speed. Adn the rate difference is only 100 TT + VAT per month compared to the unlimited modem connection. Once you go with the one year contract you get the modem for free and 5% discount.
I wouldn't like to change back. I only would go back when the price goes up.

#12 User is offline   Kash Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 02 April 2004 - 06:49 PM

yeah I signed up today.

They told me I should get it in one week time. Is that the time frame you had to wait?

#13 Guest_Considering It_*

Post icon  Posted 07 April 2004 - 08:37 PM

Hmmm well I called TSTT this week regarding setting up the ADSL account and they told me to come in next week Tuesday, however I still have many reservations about going to ADSL.

I keep hearing about the speed being reduced, etc... even though it will still be 4 times fast than dial up and what not. I am concerned when more and more people sign up what will happen to this service. :huh:

Would you guys still recommend for me to sign up for the service? :unsure:

#14 User is offline   Kash Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 April 2004 - 11:57 AM

I signed up on the 30th March. They called me on 5th April and said my line has been switched over to come and collect my modem/router.
Came home pluged in router but didn't get any signal. I called they told me it's a problem in the exchange it would me fixed in one day(I'm located in marabella). Today is the 8th and I still have no dsl. They saying they can't give me a time frame as to when it will be fixed.(why do tstt offer a service if they can't provide and why call me and say everthing has been setup).

So if your signing up for dsl please be aware you may have to wait a while depending on you location.

Also the issue with more users signing up which may cause a speed decrease. I think that only affects internet via cable (I may be wrong).

Kash

#15 Guest_Considering It_*

Posted 08 April 2004 - 09:53 PM

Now that just add to my concerns.. I'm in the Marabella area too! :unsure:

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users