TSTT Forum: ADSL speed decrease - TSTT Forum

• (3 Pages)
  • +

ADSL speed decrease ... good times already over?

#16 User is offline   admin Icon

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 11 April 2004 - 01:12 AM

Kash, yes I had to go exactly through the same trouble. ... signed up, got the modem 2 days later, but they gave me the wrong software (cd) and absolutely no instructions. After the software was ok, the line gave trouble and it took over 2 1/2 weeks to get dsl instead of the 7 days they told me.
Getting a correct software was quite a drama ... I surfed the net (dialup) for a whole weekend until I was sure that my Alcatel Speed Touch could not work in the mode it was automatically configured. I had to get the correct 'phonebook.ini' file (that is actually the configuration file and has absolutely nothing to do with a phonebook... there is not even a single phone number in it) instead it tells the mode that it has to operate in PPPoA and not the default PPPoE. You cannot simply change the phonebook.ini file because you get a checksum error.
I presume all new installations/modems will get the correct phonebook.ini file. Two other important values: VPI:0, VCI: 35 otherwise ... it will not work.
I think I have to phonebook.ini file somewhere on one of my sites. Let me know if you need it.

Anyhow, keep calling TSTT until it works!! Once it works .. You gonna luv it!

Of course with more and more adsl users the bandwidth to the US backbone will have to be shared among all of us ... but that is the case everywhere. One of the actions TSTT seem to have started ... they limit customers to the 128kbps download speed ...

#17 User is offline   Kash Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 April 2004 - 02:37 AM

I got the efficient speedstream router which i found was weird because i took the residential package.
So setting up was a bit easier (at least so I think because I cant actually use it as yet). All i'm waiting on now is tstt to do their stuff at the exchange. As you say I may have to wait for 2 weeks.

By the way the efficient speedstream is said to be a router but it only has one ethernet port. How are you suppose to hook up other computers? Any help.

#18 User is offline   admin Icon

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 11 April 2004 - 02:42 PM

Kash, usually you would use a hub with a few ethernet (10/100BasetT) ports. I use for instance the Linksys WRT54G, a wireless router with 1WAN and 4 extra LAN ports. About USD 80.00 at buy.com or any low cost 10/100BaseT hub or switch.
If you are interested, we could maybe arrange a switch ... you get my USB modem and would therefore free up your ethernet port for a second computer connected via crossover cable and Microsoft's ICS and I get the speedstream for my Linux box.
Usually TSTT is using in recent days the speedstream 5200 for business package customers. They seem to have phased out the 3Com (USR 9000).

#19 User is offline   Kash Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 April 2004 - 03:08 PM

I have a ethernet switch so I'll try it when I'm connected by tstt. The linksys router sounds like a good idea to connect my powermac g5 which is away from my pc and 2nd mac system. I may also buy a laptop this year depending on finances, so the wireless router will come handy.

#20 Guest_Considering It_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 13 April 2004 - 02:53 AM

Would you guys still recommend for me to sign up for the service? :unsure:

#21 User is offline   Kash Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2004 - 03:13 AM

I can't say yes go out and get it because i've yet to receive the service. But from other people I talked to the speed is good about 2-4 times faster that dialup, distance form exchange may be the cause in varying speed.

As you said you're in the marabella area so you may have to wait about two weeks. (I'll post here when I get it up and running to let you know the exact time I had to wait)

Kash

#22 User is offline   Kash Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 April 2004 - 12:03 PM

Got the connection today. It works great. I've been using it for about 4hrs.
So in total I had to wait about 2 weeks for tstt to setup everything.

#23 Guest_Considering It_*

Posted 15 April 2004 - 01:52 AM

Well I signed up for it on Tuesday amd they told me about in a week they'll call me to collect the modem. That they have to test it and make sure the software is installed properly...

I made sure to ask them though about when the dial-up account will be disconnected. The strange thing is, the guy told me that I can still log onto the internet via dial-up from another computer cause the username and password is the same..? They ever told you guys that?

Well I'm within walkin distance from the exchange so I guess my speed shouldn't be affected much.

I just hope I get it soon!

PS: I guess I have to change my name from "considering it" to "did it" LOL... :lol:

#24 User is offline   Kash Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2004 - 01:01 PM

yeah they told me that about the dialup account too, but I haven't tried it yet. I know some companies offer that in the US, it would be a cool feature if it's true.

By the way if you intend to use P2P services you need to tell them to disable their firewall if you don't you wont be able to connect. You can tell them after it's installed it only takes about 5mins.

#25 Guest_Considering It_*

Post icon  Posted 18 April 2004 - 12:13 AM

Well yeah my friend who has ADSL already told me about the firewall thing so when I signed up they asked me if I wanted it on or off and I made sure to tell them take it off ;)

#26 Guest_Guest_The Beast_*

Posted 24 April 2004 - 11:47 PM

Which exchange are they servicing from in marabella? the one in point a pierre or the one on the bypass? I have call twice to tell them to test my line for me . and i still got nothing. i live within the 3 mile radius of the both exchanges. Them playing the @$$ with me, i go kill them j/k:D

#27 User is offline   Kash Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 April 2004 - 12:03 AM

Don't know for sure but i think it's the one in point a pierre.

Also do they cap the upload speed? Because i've been using bit torrent as of late and my dl is 16k which is good but my upload is reaching around 50k.
Makes you wish it was the other way around.

#28 Guest_Guest_*

Post icon  Posted 28 April 2004 - 12:43 AM

This is *Considering It*... well I'm no longer considering it, cause I got my modem today and actually got it set-up on *my own*.... I still can't believe it say what onto other matters.

Well I ran the bandwidth test at on TSTT's site (http://bandwidthtest.tstt.net.tt) and my reading was 131.60kbps which is......somewhat faster than 128kbps, with my download being 16.45 KB/sec.

Now my friend in Sando who lives further away from the exchange than I do.. as far as my estimates. He said that his bandwidth reading was 512kbps... when I read that I was like....no fair :(

So I'm wondering how his reading is so much higher as compared to mine and also the other people who posted regarding their bandwidth readings? :unsure:

Oh for those of you with the speedstream modems and want to make an attempt at setting it up for yourself, try this link: Click Here (this the user guide for 5100, 5200, 5400, 5500 modems)

#29 Guest_Guest_*

Posted 28 April 2004 - 12:44 AM

Oh for those of you with the speedstream modems and want to make an attempt at setting it up for yourself, try this link: http://kb.efficient....le.asp?rid=4810 (this the user guide for 5100, 5200, 5400, 5500 modems.)

#30 Guest_South Man Formerly *Considering_*

Post icon  Posted 30 April 2004 - 01:03 AM

Hey do you guys know if you can use both the ethernet and the usb port on the speedstream router, at the same time? I tried connecting both of them and the usb is the only one that works. <_<

Is there any way I can enable some kind of feature for both of them to work? :huh:

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users