TSTT Forum: ADSL speed decrease - TSTT Forum

• (3 Pages)
  • +

ADSL speed decrease ... good times already over?

#31 User is offline   admin Icon

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 01 May 2004 - 01:33 AM

I actually do not see a problem with using the ethernet port for one computer and the usb port for another one. Should be just a configuration issue.
USB needs software installation, ethernet only needs IP address configuration.
Will see that I get hands on a Speedstream 5200 ..

#32 Guest_South Man Formerly *Considering*_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 04 May 2004 - 01:27 AM

Hmm aight... guess I have some testing to do! :lol:

#33 Guest_South Man_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 18 June 2004 - 11:30 PM

I still can't get both the ethernet and usb ports to work at the same time. Can anyone help??

#34 User is offline   edylewis Icon

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 June 2004 - 11:59 AM

South Man, on Jun 18 2004, 11:30 PM, said:

I still can't get both the ethernet and usb ports to work at the same time. Can anyone help??

I've never heard of anyone getting both to work at the same time. I assume one can find one modem brand that can do that, but in general, it seems to be an either-or kind of thing.

All reports I have heard is that if you use the USB, everything will probably be fine; setup should be easy; you will be up and running in no time. If you have to use the ethernet port, well, you might need to do some setup and reading manuals etc.

#35 User is offline   edylewis Icon

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 June 2004 - 12:17 PM

admin, on Jan 22 2004, 08:58 PM, said:

For a bit over a week my ADSL line is slowing down a lot. Before last week, I was able to listen to online music (streaming) for hours, now it is only a few seconds and it stops.
Downloads are falling asleep and performance is not anymore good.
Is that maybe just the area or exchange I am in, or ...?

Unfortunately there is never a word from my so called ISP (TSTT) ... The non existing customer service might be available in 2020. For now they seem more to be under the influence of 1919 ;-)
Anybody else with similar problems?

Yes, they did start limiting bandwidth around that time in accordance with the packages. Prior to that, there had been a long internal debate over the issue of capping the adsl line speeds. Eventually the internet side was able to limit the internet traffic side of things without compromising the adsl side of things.

On the adsl side of things they try to run the physical line itself at whatever rate it can take comfortably; future central office gear will probably do that automatically and not even have an option for setting the line speed.

#36 User is offline   admin Icon

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 28 June 2004 - 01:29 PM

edylewis, on Jun 28 2004, 12:17 PM, said:

Yes, they did start limiting bandwidth around that time in accordance with the packages. Prior to that, there had been a long internal debate over the issue of capping the adsl line speeds.

Actually the problem I had in January was fixed and things are fine since then. Within the past 12 month speed has decreased, but is still quite good and I do not complain at all. Streaming applications are running fine and availablity is quite good. Every once in a while the connection drops for a few seconds, but that is only about every 2 weeks or so.

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users