• You cannot reply to this topic

Flow speed problems

#76 User is offline   PikachuMan Icon

• Post Machine
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 September 2007 - 10:35 PM

View Postwoodyear99, on Sep 29 2007, 08:26 PM, said:

They admitted they didn't have enough bandwidth to service all the customers when i called this week. been calling for the past 3 weeks and they always keep saying they working on it. They told me they putting things in place this weekend, I find that so funny. When tstt come with their new packages even if they slower at least they might be more consistent.

This service goes too slow and is too unreliable for the price I am paying. Have not gotten 6 mbit speeds in a while it is always sub 1 mbit during peak times. Yes I know it is unreasonable to expect 6 mbit speeds at all times but come on it is under 1 mbit most of the time lol, 1 - 6 mbit is a big difference.

I would call it false advertising.

I wouldn't call that unreasonable. They sell their service at a rated speed, and that's what you should be getting. If they know they can't provide that at certain times, they should state that in their advertising.

I wouldn't be too hard on them for this one (ongoing) incident. It's hard to estimate usage patterns, especially in a brand spanking new marketplace. They do have some options for fixing the situation:

(1) Shifting around bandwidth to areas with greatest demand (probably already done).

(2) Buying additional bandwidth from TSTT

(2) Traffic shaping. Bittorrent and P2P traffic could be throttled to free up bandwidth for other stuff.

(3) Setting different "burst" speeds and "sustained" speeds.

(4) Tossing off heavy users. Haven't read FLOW's contract yet, but it might contain an "Acceptable Use Policy" that allows them legal right to do that.

(5) Hard caps on maximum data transfered (in gigabytes) per month.

Though, it's possible they could always just ignore it until November. <_<

#77 User is offline   jaiume Icon

• PipPip

Posted 29 September 2007 - 10:44 PM

I also think that if they say 2mb it should be 2mb, constantly.

The thing that is getting me more annoyed than anything is the lack of information. If they told me that it was because they ran out of bandwith, and that once they get their ARCOS connection up and running, everything will be back up to speed, I would feel a bit happier. I'd also be happier if they gave me a definative date for this to happen. I also have just had promises of next week, next week.

I also think Flow should give their customers some kind of compensation. I guess they have gotten into the Trini way of doing things already, by effectively telling their customers, that thats the way it is, so suck some salt, we keeping your money, and hard luck for you.

#78 User is offline   srnoth Icon

• Forum Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:Computers, music, electronics...

Posted 29 September 2007 - 11:04 PM

View Postjaiume, on Sep 29 2007, 10:44 PM, said:

I also think Flow should give their customers some kind of compensation. I guess they have gotten into the Trini way of doing things already, by effectively telling their customers, that thats the way it is, so suck some salt, we keeping your money, and hard luck for you.

Exactly. I don't have a problem with them experiencing difficulties and being unable to deliver the advertised bandwidth, especially while they are still having to buy from TSTT. But if that is the case, and we are not getting the service we are paying for, they should issue automatic refunds, especially for this now ongoing problem. They are expected to have problems at first, but don't expect to get paid for a service that isn't being provided.

By the way folks, I've noticed that if you do a regular download in firefox or IE, you get around 30KBps, but if you use a download program that splits it into multiple streams, you usually get the full ~200KBps, so it seems that they are limiting traffic by individual data streams, and not actually limiting your entire connection. So it still works out better than TSTT.

#79 User is offline   Santos Icon

• Board Warrior
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 September 2007 - 12:17 AM

I don't mind if they get a few problems here and there but when it starts to spread and 3 weeks pass of nothing happening to fix the problem, that's when I get irritated. Anything more than a week is ridiculous.

#80 User is offline   woodyear99 Icon

• Board Warrior
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 September 2007 - 12:30 AM

Is anyone here having a positive experience with Flow lately?

#81 User is offline   PikachuMan Icon

• Post Machine
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 September 2007 - 12:45 AM

View Postsrnoth, on Sep 29 2007, 11:04 PM, said:

By the way folks, I've noticed that if you do a regular download in firefox or IE, you get around 30KBps, but if you use a download program that splits it into multiple streams, you usually get the full ~200KBps, so it seems that they are limiting traffic by individual data streams, and not actually limiting your entire connection. So it still works out better than TSTT.

So, I guess that means bittorrent is running fine? I think that could be the reason why the FLOW network having bandwidth issues in the first place. <_<

#82 User is offline   Santos Icon

• Board Warrior
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 September 2007 - 01:39 AM

My internet has been at its worst this weekend so far. It is really awful. Massive lag spikes playing online games, 5 to 10 second lag.

#83 User is offline   woodyear99 Icon

• Board Warrior
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 September 2007 - 08:26 AM

Hey try using the internet in the mornings like around 8 am, it works really well then guess it's cuz not that many people online then.

#84 User is offline   aka Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 September 2007 - 02:07 PM

View PostPikachuMan, on Sep 29 2007, 10:35 PM, said:

I wouldn't call that unreasonable. They sell their service at a rated speed, and that's what you should be getting. If they know they can't provide that at certain times, they should state that in their advertising. I am sure they either intentionally misled customers or didn't hire the right people.

I wouldn't be too hard on them for this one (ongoing) incident. It's hard to estimate usage patterns, especially in a brand spanking new marketplace. They do have some options for fixing the situation:

I guess that it's very hard to imagine why someone would want to pay $400.00 a month and more for an Internet connection. Maybe the brains at Flow thought customers wanted their Yahoo home page to load half a second faster.

(1) Shifting around bandwidth to areas with greatest demand (probably already done). Not done in St. Augustine but I am still paying my bill - something overlooked by Flow.

(2) Buying additional bandwidth from TSTT - Who cares and they should just get it.

(2) Traffic shaping. Bittorrent and P2P traffic could be throttled to free up bandwidth for other stuff. ???

(3) Setting different "burst" speeds and "sustained" speeds. ???

(4) Tossing off heavy users. Haven't read FLOW's contract yet, but it might contain an "Acceptable Use Policy" that allows them legal right to do that. What COntract - Did anyone sign a contract or was it done over the phone? There is no contract and if there was there should be a minimum standard of performance for Flow (which they will avoid at all cost because nonperformance is Flow's thing). If there ever is a contract it must be fair to both Flow and the customer and I doubt Flow would ever want to be fair to the customer.

(5) Hard caps on maximum data transfered (in gigabytes) per month. Too late for that because expectation is already high and TSTT is waiting for Flow to slip; and they already have.

Though, it's possible they could always just ignore it until November. <_<

http://www.speedtest...t/188755210.png

FLOW SUCKS MORE THAN TSTT - SAD TO SAY

#85 User is offline   woodyear99 Icon

• Board Warrior
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 September 2007 - 02:21 PM

Lol......aka....another satisfied Flow customer :)

#86 User is offline   PikachuMan Icon

• Post Machine
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 September 2007 - 02:40 PM

Guess I should explain these more:

Traffic shaping. Bittorrent and P2P traffic could be throttled to free up bandwidth for other stuff.

>Basically, they would detect bandwidth heavy apps (like bit torrent or Limewire and such), and slow down the speed available to them. That frees up bandwidth for casual users.

Setting different "burst" speeds and "sustained" speeds.

>They would have the first few megabytes download at, say, 2Mb/s, but after that, it slows down to say 1Mb/s. That will at least give you full bandwidth for webpages and small files, but the large network-congesting downloads are limited.

There is a contract, actually:

http://www.flowtrini...44F21896E249CCA

Says nothing about "acceptable use", and the refund policy is pretty vague.

#87 User is offline   aka Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 September 2007 - 03:58 PM

Traffic shaping, burst speeds and sustained speeds make sense. I just thought that Flow should have planned this out before, rather than wait for a crisis to develop and their reputation tarnished even more.

Flow is proving to customer they lack the technical competence to provide customers with what they pay for. Everything seems hit-and-miss with them - mostly missing it seems.

I signed up by phone so a contract on their website is useless to me but it may be useful for the few more customers they may get. I think people should read the contract very carefully since Flow doesn't appear to be a company anyone could trust.

#88 User is offline   samureye Icon

• Post Machine
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 September 2007 - 05:14 PM

You know, if their internet service was a better value and more reliable, I could dump the # TV service and just download the shows I want.

#89 User is offline   Santos Icon

• Board Warrior
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 September 2007 - 06:29 PM

I think the bandwidth meters are lieing to us. The TSTT one is reading 2MB and Speedtest is reading 600kbps while CNET reads 100kbps and less. My internet is still horrible, anyone understand why those readings are like that? I would like to know what reliable bandwidth test is really a reliable reading.

#90 User is offline   dforge Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 September 2007 - 06:59 PM

View PostSantos, on Sep 30 2007, 06:29 PM, said:

I think the bandwidth meters are lieing to us. The TSTT one is reading 2MB and Speedtest is reading 600kbps while CNET reads 100kbps and less. My internet is still horrible, anyone understand why those readings are like that? I would like to know what reliable bandwidth test is really a reliable reading.

Seems that TSTT may be the problem there. Its probably bandwidth from TSTT that's why the readings from TSTT are so great..

• (37 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users