TSTT Forum: Switching DNS Servers? - TSTT Forum

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Switching DNS Servers? Hi guys! I'm looking for some advice on switching DNS servers.

#1 User is offline   PikachuMan Icon

• Post Machine
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Post icon  Posted 19 October 2007 - 11:44 PM

Hi guys! I've been having some issues where my connection just seems to 'drop off', but not completely. Some sites would work fine (stuff I had just visited), but it refuses to load any new sites (instead, the browser throws up the nifty "server not found" message). Indeed, even email works, but not new webpages.

So, that sounds like a DNS problem, right?

----
Anyway, let me get straight to it:

1. Has anyone else had experiences like this? Does changing the preferred DNS server from default (TSTT's) make the connection more reliable?

2. Is there any downside to using the OpenDNS.com servers (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220)? I notice the servers are pretty far away from us, so wouldn't that incur some speed loss vs TSTT's local servers?

3. Where should I change the settings? In Windows/OSX, the router (linksys wireless :( ) or my speedstream modem?

4. Other than OpenDNS.com, are there any other alternative DNS servers I should check out?

[I'm using TSTT's non-blink DSL, of course].

Thanks in advance y'all.

#2 User is offline   Enishi Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 October 2007 - 02:04 AM

I've had that same problem, the OpenDNS servers are more reliable and to me seem faster than TSTT's servers, and I don't get those annoying time outs every 10 mins anymore.
You can change it in Windows or your router/modem.
As for alternatives, no idea :P

#3 User is offline   jsm1985 Icon

• Board Warrior
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Nokia, Symbian
    Current Phone: Nokia C7

Posted 21 October 2007 - 12:57 PM

Yeah i've been using OpenDNS for the past year or so, and all the problems i've had with my TSTT DSL are gone... no more timeouts and half-way working internet...

#4 User is offline   Lich King Icon

• Telecom Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 October 2007 - 01:49 PM

The speed loss from using another DNS is not as great as it may seem. It is quite bearable because if you get one that has a ping of say 150ms then that's ok. The pc only resolves a dns one time for each different host name then it caches the information so even if you decide to download a file lets say, it would NOT continuously slow you down, just the first packet which resolves the server then after that data comes as normal at the max speed. I normally set my dns server to a public dns server with a ping around 130ms to 150ms because those are about the best I can find. My secondary dns server is a public one, my first one is TSTT primary dns server.

#5 User is offline   PikachuMan Icon

• Post Machine
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 October 2007 - 03:53 PM

Thanks for the responses. I've been using the OpenDNS servers for two days now, and not really noticed any performance changes (my first priority is reliability, anyway). The ping times aren't so bad; about 115ms to 130ms, instead of the 20-30ms for TSTT).

#6 User is offline   Trini.tk Icon

• Forum Jedi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 October 2007 - 07:19 PM

Hey.
Can you all post some instructions as to how to use different DNS servers?
Thanks.

#7 User is offline   PikachuMan Icon

• Post Machine
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 October 2007 - 09:44 PM

View PostTrini.tk, on Oct 21 2007, 07:19 PM, said:

Hey.
Can you all post some instructions as to how to use different DNS servers?
Thanks.

You can do it either on the modem itself, or on the computer. There's a good guide with neat pictures here.

In case that link isn't working for some reason,

in XP..

Go to control panel --> Network Connections ---> Right click your internet connection (usually Local Area Network if on ethernet, or Wireless Connection if WiFi --> Select Properties

Highlight TCP/IP (do not uncheck it) and click "Properties"

In the new window that opens, you should see "Obtain DNS server address automatically"
Change that to "Use the Following DNS servers", and input whatever DNS servers you found.

in OSX..

System Preferences --> Network --> (select your connection and press "configure") ---> Put the DNS servers in the box marked "DNS servers".

In case you want to switch back, just clear the boxes or select "obtain DNS addresses automatically" for XP.

---
Odd, I'm still getting problems with my connection. The looking up/connecting to server is taking pretty darn long (even with alternative DNS servers). Well, guess I have more testing to do..

#8 User is offline   Trini.tk Icon

• Forum Jedi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 October 2007 - 11:02 PM

Thanks.

#9 User is offline   Razzzhead Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 October 2007 - 01:32 AM

I often get the Internet Explorer information screen Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage. Just to prove that the TSTT DNS servers are the cause of this, I have declared 196.3.132.1 (ns1.tstt.net.tt) as the main DNS server and 208.67.222.222 as the backup. Now when 196.3.132.1 doesn't respond and times out, the backup kicks in. This can be easily shown by the nslookup command in a command prompt:-

C:\>nslookup google.com
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Can't find server name for address 196.3.132.1: Timed out
Server: resolver1.opendns.com
Address: 208.67.222.222

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: google.com
Addresses: 64.233.187.99, 64.233.167.99, 72.14.207.99

I find it quite amazing that TSTT can't (or won't) fix their crappy DNS servers.
Ah... but wait, perhaps their network problems now get fixed by someone on the phone in India. :P

#10 User is offline   South_Guy Icon

• PipPip

Posted 23 October 2007 - 01:50 AM

I was having the same problem for the past week. I would have half way working internet, sometimes Msn would be the only thing working and web pages will fail to load. I just configured my router using open dns as i was just getting the same problem and i was amazed, all my pages started back loading. I think i will stick with this, at least for now. I dont know if BLINK is causing these problems since they are probably working on the upgrades at night. I hope they reach san fernando soon. its 1:49am...... Yawn Time To sleep. Goodnight

#11 User is offline   Who Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 24 October 2007 - 07:17 PM

This is complete Bullsht. I am assuming that our current DNS problems are related to the blink upgrade. For areas that are not yet blink capable like mine, people are paying the same amount as those in blink areas and getting speed 8 times slower and now we can't even get web pages to load. Its not like if upgrading my service under the old DSL implementation is going to cost them anything...at least until my area is blink capable. I don't mind changing the DNS server to get pages to load but the ping in some online games are way to high with the external DNS servers. I am sure that most people with DSL would not even know why their pages aren't loading.
I called technical support to find out when the problem is going to be resolved and much to my suprise, I got this Indian guy who seemed to be ignoring the fact that I knew what the problem was and he was just running me through a set of fixes that I knew wouldn't solve anything. I played along for a while and when nothing worked he finally gave me these ip addresses(4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.1) as alternate dns servers and that obviously solved the web pages issue but messed up online gaming. I wonder if those guys in India actually get in contact with TSTT and let them know about how many customers are having problems. I hope TSTT realizes that customers will remember how they are treated now and when FLOW rolls out digital, they will lose alot of customers.

#12 User is offline   Enishi Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 October 2007 - 07:27 PM

That DNS thing was happening way before the blink upgrade. Use the OpenDNS server and you should be fine. I use it for my PC and xbox 360 with no problems at all.

#13 User is offline   Chiney Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 October 2007 - 11:19 PM

had OpenDNS since i got my dsl....

decided to switch one day and fawk me it waz shit!!

went back and never turn around

#14 User is offline   Hexxx Icon

• Board Warrior
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 November 2007 - 05:45 AM

I haven't had any DNS problems at all with the TSTT primary and secondary DNS servers, so it sounds very surprising that you all do.
Maybe TSTT redirects different IPs (as in other DNS servers?) from their primary/secondary DNS depending on which exchange they come from?

#15 User is offline   eloquator Icon

• PipPip

Posted 01 November 2007 - 02:42 PM

I love this forum! I was having the same half way working problem and now my DNS tests are passing in the diagnostics page. Let us see if this equates to no more halfway working net. Thank You!

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users