TSTT Forum: Switching DNS Servers? - TSTT Forum

• (4 Pages)
  • +

Switching DNS Servers? Hi guys! I'm looking for some advice on switching DNS servers.

#16 User is offline   Trini.tk Icon

• Forum Jedi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 02 November 2007 - 02:40 PM

View Posteloquator, on Nov 1 2007, 02:42 PM, said:

I love this forum! I was having the same half way working problem and now my DNS tests are passing in the diagnostics page. Let us see if this equates to no more halfway working net. Thank You!

Let me just say ditto to what eloquator said.
Thanks to these new settings, I haven't had any major connection problems that couldn't have been fixed with a simple browser reboot.
Thank you again.

#17 User is offline   Lich King Icon

• Telecom Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 November 2007 - 08:21 PM

Just to add to this thread. I saw on another thread where TSTT apparently has another DNS server: 196.3.132.153.
Try it and see how it works out.

#18 User is offline   Netizen1 Icon

• PipPip

Posted 02 November 2007 - 08:31 PM

I switched my DNS settings today, and I must say I've noticed an improvement already...

BTW, don't be lazy, go to the site, they've got instructions on there...

http://www.opendns.com

#19 User is offline   Netizen1 Icon

• PipPip

Post icon  Posted 06 November 2007 - 08:54 PM

sorry to double post, but anyone else using OpenDNS on the Paradyne?

Is it normal for DHCP to give out the modem's IP as the only DNS server as opposed to the manually specified OpenDNS IP's?

I have a Speedstream at home and it gives the two (208.*) IP's via DHCP.

Just want to put my mind to rest on the issue. Any constructive input would be greatly appreciated.

#20 User is offline   Lich King Icon

• Telecom Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 November 2007 - 09:08 PM

View PostNetizen1, on Nov 6 2007, 08:54 PM, said:

sorry to double post, but anyone else using OpenDNS on the Paradyne?

Is it normal for DHCP to give out the modem's IP as the only DNS server as opposed to the manually specified OpenDNS IP's?

I have a Speedstream at home and it gives the two (208.*) IP's via DHCP.

Just want to put my mind to rest on the issue. Any constructive input would be greatly appreciated.

Yea thats normal for a NAT router. It gives the pc its address as dns server so the pc sends dns requests to the router and the router translates those requests to its dns servers which are either auto set or manually changed by you. there is no advantage of setting your dns server manually to any ip other than your router ip. So you could set the dsl router dns servers to anything you want and rest assured every pc on your dhcp lan will be using them by way of the router. It makes configuration changes easier if you have more than 1 pc because you don't have to change the settings on each pc. I hope that puts your mind to rest.

#21 User is offline   Netizen1 Icon

• PipPip

Posted 07 November 2007 - 07:13 PM

Yup, thanks...

#22 User is offline   omni Icon

• Post Machine
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 December 2007 - 11:52 PM

Hey guys (and gals), I did the same using the 192.3.132.153 as primary dns and the 208.67.222.222 as the alternate. Seems to work well. I saw one person saying still got some connection issues. Can spyware and viruses be the cause? Of course, I mean after making sure the wiring is ok.

#23 User is offline   omni Icon

• Post Machine
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 December 2007 - 01:36 AM

I've also been experimenting with the DNS 190.58.152.103 . It seems to work well. I've just started trying it so I don't know how reliable it is. It seems to be the DNS of the cuscon server tstt uses.

#24 User is offline   PikachuMan Icon

• Post Machine
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 December 2007 - 10:37 AM

View Postomni, on Dec 14 2007, 11:52 PM, said:

Hey guys (and gals), I did the same using the 192.3.132.153 as primary dns and the 208.67.222.222 as the alternate. Seems to work well. I saw one person saying still got some connection issues. Can spyware and viruses be the cause? Of course, I mean after making sure the wiring is ok.

I think that was me. The problems seem to be gone though.

Interestingly enough, my modem doesn't list 192.3.132.1 as the TSTT provided DNS server anymore. It just lists .153 and .4 (secondary) now.

#25 User is offline   omni Icon

• Post Machine
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 December 2007 - 04:53 PM

View PostPikachuMan, on Dec 15 2007, 10:37 AM, said:

Interestingly enough, my modem doesn't list 192.3.132.1 as the TSTT provided DNS server anymore. It just lists .153 and .4 (secondary) now.

Do they work well? I sometimes leave stuff to download overnight and the .153 used to drop with me.

#26 User is offline   jpf Icon

• Board Warrior
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 December 2007 - 12:56 PM

the settings on the router at my office changed from the 132.1 & 132.4 to the .153 alone... it happened when the area was upgraded to adsl2, dont know if tstt added the .4 back but I just manually set it to the .153 & used the sec. as 208.67.222.222 (opendns)

#27 User is offline   omni Icon

• Post Machine
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 December 2007 - 04:59 AM

View Postomni, on Dec 15 2007, 04:53 PM, said:

Do they work well? I sometimes leave stuff to download overnight and the .153 used to drop with me.

Ok I was reading in another part of this forum, that everynight when the connection resets (as we only get a 24 hr lease, everyday) the connection may drop. The author says to make sure the settings are on VC/MUX which I already had but the authentication at PAP. I just set it so tommorrow night I will know if it works.

#28 User is offline   Lich King Icon

• Telecom Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 December 2007 - 08:28 AM

View Postomni, on Dec 17 2007, 04:59 AM, said:

Ok I was reading in another part of this forum, that everynight when the connection resets (as we only get a 24 hr lease, everyday) the connection may drop. The author says to make sure the settings are on VC/MUX which I already had but the authentication at PAP. I just set it so tommorrow night I will know if it works.
Renewing lease is seamless and does not drop the connection or disconnect. If the connection is dropped then there is a dhcp problem. Maybe a problem communicating between your modem and TSTT gateway. My lease is set to renew every hour and no connections get dropped. If you leave stuff downloading and it drops then it is probably something with the reliability of your connection. DNS only resolves the ip the first time you access a resource, after that it is cached and reused so it is unlikely that dns has caused your file to stop downloading unless the server decided to change IP for some reason during the middle of your download. If you refer to p2p connections then those could be a result of dns timeouts because you may be flooding your connection with too many UDP packets so legitimate dns packets get dropped. For p2p over adsl I would recommend you disable UDP connections altogether.
Good Luck.

#29 User is offline   ninja_55 Icon

• Post Machine
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 December 2007 - 11:23 PM

hey y'll i'm getting alot of dns errors...my system log in my paradyne modem keeps sayin dns query fail and then primary server down switchin to secondary server..it happens almost every half hr if i'm lucky every cople of hrs...but the thing is when this happens my connection drops interrupting my downloads and can't surf the web. i am currently on blink dsl2+...never had this problem when i was on ADSL1....you guys think you can help me out here? any help is appreciated thanks.

#30 User is offline   omni Icon

• Post Machine
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 December 2007 - 09:33 PM

View PostLich King, on Dec 17 2007, 08:28 AM, said:

Renewing lease is seamless and does not drop the connection or disconnect. If the connection is dropped then there is a dhcp problem. Maybe a problem communicating between your modem and TSTT gateway. My lease is set to renew every hour and no connections get dropped. If you leave stuff downloading and it drops then it is probably something with the reliability of your connection. DNS only resolves the ip the first time you access a resource, after that it is cached and reused so it is unlikely that dns has caused your file to stop downloading unless the server decided to change IP for some reason during the middle of your download. If you refer to p2p connections then those could be a result of dns timeouts because you may be flooding your connection with too many UDP packets so legitimate dns packets get dropped. For p2p over adsl I would recommend you disable UDP connections altogether.
Good Luck.

Thanks, will try that. I use flashget to download torrents.

• (4 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users