TSTT Forum: Using cell phone as modem - TSTT Forum

Page 1 of 1

Using cell phone as modem

#1 User is offline   Dreadman Icon

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 July 2008 - 12:34 PM

Hey everyone. Trying to figure out a workaround for internet access.
Phone line has been down for over 1 week with no quick fix in sight.
Was wondering if anyone ever setup their cellphone to act as a modem for their pc.
Via bluetooth or usb doesn't matter. I reached as far as the computer sending the signal to the phone which is a samsung sgh-600, the phone starts
dialing but then cuts after about two seconds every time. Also what are the costs associated with this, is it flat rate like fixed lines or will i have to pay on a per minute basis. Any light that could be shed on this would be most appreciated.

#2 User is offline   Lich King Icon

• Telecom Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 July 2008 - 12:09 AM

View PostDreadman, on Jul 23 2008, 12:34 PM, said:

Was wondering if anyone ever setup their cellphone to act as a modem for their pc.
Via bluetooth or usb doesn't matter. I reached as far as the computer sending the signal to the phone which is a samsung sgh-600, the phone starts
dialing but then cuts after about two seconds every time. Also what are the costs associated with this, is it flat rate like fixed lines or will i have to pay on a per minute basis. Any light that could be shed on this would be most appreciated.
Them scammers at TSTT does charge ur cell phone for calls made to dial up numbers. Regular airtime charges apply. Best you do a scan and see if you could "borrow" some wifi. I hope you get through with something.

#3 User is offline   Cool3ni Icon

• Forum Jedi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Computers,music,mobiles an anything to do with technology

Posted 24 July 2008 - 12:14 AM

View PostDreadman, on Jul 23 2008, 12:34 PM, said:

Yea I did try to dialup from my cell once but it was useless,when the computer dialing up the call would cut off before it even connects but if I dial the number manually I would get the dialup noise when it connects but like lich king says they charge you regular airtime rates :angry:

#4 User is offline   Alpine Icon

• Forum Jedi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: MembersRes1

Posted 24 July 2008 - 01:10 AM

View PostCool3ni, on Jul 24 2008, 01:14 AM, said:

Yea I did try to dialup from my cell once but it was useless,when the computer dialing up the call would cut off before it even connects but if I dial the number manually I would get the dialup noise when it connects but like lich king says they charge you regular airtime rates :angry:

you ever try Digicel and see if yuh could get free after 3?

Can u add the dial up numbers to my lime?

if no then they is real schemers when my phone line was down took them 6 months to fix it and on top of that I pay a TSTT worker $400 to re connect the line.
Apparently it was a lil slack. <_<

But if all else fails just take the EDGE plan for $150 a month I hear you get 17KB/S thats close to 160k

But I hear not all parts of trinidad has EDGE enabled on bmobile tower so you should see if your phone detects it.

I have a W810i Sony and it says Edge reception and it has almost full bars and thats a Bmobile sim.

#5 User is offline   Cool3ni Icon

• Forum Jedi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Computers,music,mobiles an anything to do with technology

Posted 24 July 2008 - 12:06 PM

View PostAlpine, on Jul 24 2008, 01:10 AM, said:

you ever try Digicel and see if yuh could get free after 3?

Can u add the dial up numbers to my lime?

Nah yuh cah dial up from the digicel network,its like yuh calling an invalid number if you try from there,an I doubt yuh could add the dialup number to yuh lime list but it still makes no sense because for some reason,don't know if is the bmobile network itself but the call cuts before its connects when a pc tries to dialup

#6 User is offline   Lich King Icon

• Telecom Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 July 2008 - 01:01 PM

View PostCool3ni, on Jul 24 2008, 12:06 PM, said:

Nah yuh cah dial up from the digicel network,its like yuh calling an invalid number if you try from there,an I doubt yuh could add the dialup number to yuh lime list but it still makes no sense because for some reason,don't know if is the bmobile network itself but the call cuts before its connects when a pc tries to dialup
Yup, exactly right. Back when I was trying it out I got the number to add to my lime but same story, always gets cut before it connects. So still no luck with this.

#7 User is offline   Dreadman Icon

• PipPip

Posted 05 August 2008 - 01:05 PM

Thanks for the help people.
Guess this will have to remain as on of the many unsolved TSTT mysteries.
Thankfully they repaired the line. From the people we have been in contact with
they say it was a problem with the port at the exchange.
Dem ports so feenie?
Now de real fun begins since we are trying to get a rebate or refund
for the downtime.

#8 User is offline   Lich King Icon

• Telecom Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 05 August 2008 - 03:24 PM

View PostDreadman, on Aug 5 2008, 01:05 PM, said:

Thanks for the help people.
Guess this will have to remain as on of the many unsolved TSTT mysteries.
Thankfully they repaired the line. From the people we have been in contact with
they say it was a problem with the port at the exchange.
Dem ports so feenie?
Now de real fun begins since we are trying to get a rebate or refund
for the downtime.
I always wondered what they mean when they say "port". They had to change my port once but I don't know if that means just moving a jack to another hole or if the connector needs changing or if the port is more elaborate hardware. I guess I would really need to see inside an exchange to know what the port hey refer to actually is.

Anyway you should not have much fun trying to get a rebate from TSTT, just pay the amount then apply for the rebate and it should show up in the next bill. I never had a problem with TSTT and rebates, from as little as a few days to more than a month I got rebates with no problems. Unlike Flow, TSTT can count money a little better.

#9 User is offline   jpf Icon

• Board Warrior
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 August 2008 - 12:53 AM

View PostLich King, on Aug 5 2008, 03:24 PM, said:

I always wondered what they mean when they say "port". They had to change my port once but I don't know if that means just moving a jack to another hole or if the connector needs changing or if the port is more elaborate hardware. I guess I would really need to see inside an exchange to know what the port hey refer to actually is.

Anyway you should not have much fun trying to get a rebate from TSTT, just pay the amount then apply for the rebate and it should show up in the next bill. I never had a problem with TSTT and rebates, from as little as a few days to more than a month I got rebates with no problems. Unlike Flow, TSTT can count money a little better.

i heard though that the rebate don't include the vat that u paid though- is this true? if it is, i would just tell them i not paying

#10 User is offline   Lich King Icon

• Telecom Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 August 2008 - 04:09 AM

View Postjpf, on Aug 8 2008, 12:53 AM, said:

i heard though that the rebate don't include the vat that u paid though- is this true? if it is, i would just tell them i not paying
You raise an interesting point, I am really not sure because it has been a while since I had to get a rebate. I will try to find out but hopefully somebody else here could tell us if they recently had a rebate experience.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users