• +
  • Last »

High Latency / Ping problems

#1 User is offline   Who Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 October 2008 - 08:57 PM

Is anyone else been having problems with online gaming in the last month. I have been getting some really high pings randomly over the last month. Normally when I ping www.google.com I usually get an average of about 115ms but right now and for a couple of days over the last month I have been getting pings of up to 400ms. Playing FPS with that kind of latency is impossible :angry: Any ideas as to the cause of this?
Its really sad that before my dsl got "upgraded" to adsl2, I use to get sub 100ms pings :(

#2 User is offline   PikachuMan Icon

• Post Machine
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 October 2008 - 09:20 PM

View PostWho, on Oct 11 2008, 08:57 PM, said:

Is anyone else been having problems with online gaming in the last month. I have been getting some really high pings randomly over the last month. Normally when I ping www.google.com I usually get an average of about 115ms but right now and for a couple of days over the last month I have been getting pings of up to 400ms. Playing FPS with that kind of latency is impossible :angry: Any ideas as to the cause of this?
Its really sad that before my dsl got "upgraded" to adsl2, I use to get sub 100ms pings :(

Reboot the modem and see if it changes anything.

#3 User is offline   greall Icon

• Telecom Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 October 2008 - 04:48 PM

View PostPikachuMan, on Oct 11 2008, 09:20 PM, said:

Reboot the modem and see if it changes anything.

I just did that and things seem to be working well now.

Greg

#4 User is offline   Lich King Icon

• Telecom Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 October 2008 - 10:15 PM

View PostWho, on Oct 11 2008, 08:57 PM, said:

happens with me too, randomly but especially at night during 8pm to around 11pm. I just get vex and stop playing games those times but it is seriously pissing me off because I used to have good pings consistently until they changed it to blink.

#5 User is offline   Who Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 October 2008 - 09:09 PM

I think I figured out what's causing my latency problems. The problems started after I upgraded the firmware on the router. When I flashed to the newer firmwares(I3 or new I2) the upgrade swaps downstream output power with the upstream output power(weird effect imo). In my case my downstream got stuck at 12.8 and upstream fluctuated(-25 to 15) with the new firmware. Everything was working fine for normal web browsing but I'm assuming since my lines are not so good my upstream output power sometimes goes to 0.0 or less with the new firmware and that's pretty bad when you're gaming. Rebooting the router usually fixes the output power for a while but I prefer to reboot while browsing than while gaming ;) so I'm back to the old firmware. Still testing this theory though so I will post if it is confirmed.

Update: The swapping of the output power doesn't seem to affect the latency...was just a chance that it happen to get better after I flashed to the old firmware. So I guess its just TSTT sucking.

#6 User is offline   admin Icon

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 29 October 2008 - 09:51 PM

View PostWho, on Oct 29 2008, 09:09 PM, said:

So I guess its just TSTT sucking.

Yes, it seems so ... browsing with Blink was like diving through heavy mud ... slow and taking some time, while pings are actually fine (120ms).

I switched port 80 (http) to my flow connection and the problem is gone. Browsing now without a delay.
Unfortunately this is a reoccurring problem which happens almost every day now.

#7 User is offline   Lich King Icon

• Telecom Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 October 2008 - 12:46 AM

View Postadmin, on Oct 29 2008, 09:51 PM, said:

Yes, it seems so ... browsing with Blink was like diving through heavy mud ... slow and taking some time, while pings are actually fine (120ms).

I switched port 80 (http) to my flow connection and the problem is gone. Browsing now without a delay.
Yes recurring indeed but lately these nights are getting really bad, tonight my ping to google was 600+ ms. Figures like that does discourage me from wanting to use the internet, the only thing that high latency good for is torrents. Of recent, some acute problems have dawned upon my phone line, lately people complain that when they call me the call ends up at other random phone numbers. I reported it today to tstt repairs department. Hopefully within 2 weeks a technician will come and hopefully change the wires if that is the problem.

#8 User is offline   StackOverflow Icon

• PipPip

Posted 30 October 2008 - 10:47 AM

HAHA! Allyuh lucky! Mine was 1000ms

Pinging google.com [209.85.171.99] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 209.85.171.99: bytes=32 time=1190ms TTL=241
Reply from 209.85.171.99: bytes=32 time=978ms TTL=241
Reply from 209.85.171.99: bytes=32 time=964ms TTL=241
Reply from 209.85.171.99: bytes=32 time=865ms TTL=241

#9 User is offline   Lich King Icon

• Telecom Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 October 2008 - 10:09 PM

TSTT is doing it again, blink is now high speed dial up. Thanks to their stupid habit of taking on more customers than their network can handle. What amazes me the most is that TSTT in their infinite stupidity decided to use PPPoE with LLC/Snap bridging, which is the least efficient of the 4 configurations available for dsl. Typical behaviour, they want to waste bandwidth they don't even have then we end up suffering. Atleast I think my old contract which was for adsl before it was named blink should no longer be valid since they automatically changed the parameters and I never signed a new contract. TSTT has until Flow brings digital service to my area in 2015 or whenever to fix their network else I would have no choice but to go with flow.

#10 User is offline   ninja_55 Icon

• Post Machine
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 October 2008 - 11:37 PM

View PostLich King, on Oct 30 2008, 10:09 PM, said:

TSTT is doing it again, blink is now high speed dial up. Thanks to their stupid habit of taking on more customers than their network can handle. What amazes me the most is that TSTT in their infinite stupidity decided to use PPPoE with LLC/Snap bridging, which is the least efficient of the 4 configurations available for dsl. Typical behaviour, they want to waste bandwidth they don't even have then we end up suffering. Atleast I think my old contract which was for adsl before it was named blink should no longer be valid since they automatically changed the parameters and I never signed a new contract. TSTT has until Flow brings digital service to my area in 2015 or whenever to fix their network else I would have no choice but to go with flow.

i totally agree. the pings are ridiculous during the hrs of i'll say 7-11:30pm thats how bad it is. well guess what it seems only central south has this issue. North, East and West has good pings 24/7 unless is ah major problem nationwide. I talked to one of my pardner today who is ah blink tech and it seems the fibre we're on is OVERLOADED! Blink too damn greedy. Basically the whole of central south have blink because flow now penetrating this side market. TSTT with they smart ass decided to just take on as much customers as possible without sorting out their bandwith and load issues and now we suffer. Up to now majority of south central still can't access the tstt speedtest page which is http://speedtest.tstt.net.tt/ it just remains black lol. i real fed up now though. I also realize during those peak hrs i no longer get full bandwith so it's getting worse. i guess i'll have to do the same lich. if tstt don't fix their network before flow comes i goneeeeee.

#11 User is offline   greall Icon

• Telecom Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 October 2008 - 02:11 AM

View Postninja_55, on Oct 30 2008, 11:37 PM, said:

i totally agree. the pings are ridiculous during the hrs of i'll say 7-11:30pm thats how bad it is. well guess what it seems only central south has this issue. North, East and West has good pings 24/7 unless is ah major problem nationwide. I talked to one of my pardner today who is ah blink tech and it seems the fibre we're on is OVERLOADED! Blink too damn greedy. Basically the whole of central south have blink because flow now penetrating this side market. TSTT with they smart ass decided to just take on as much customers as possible without sorting out their bandwith and load issues and now we suffer. Up to now majority of south central still can't access the tstt speedtest page which is http://speedtest.tstt.net.tt/ it just remains black lol. i real fed up now though. I also realize during those peak hrs i no longer get full bandwith so it's getting worse. i guess i'll have to do the same lich. if tstt don't fix their network before flow comes i goneeeeee.

My friend in Jamaica complained of the same thing with his CW ADSL service for months: there was just too many people on the service in his area and I saw the runaround that he got there.

There's always a myriad of 'solutions' that Blink tech support give when you call from decreasing the length of the phone cord from the wall jack to the modem to continuously rebooting the modem.

I'm seeing Flow working in the rain in Princes Town so hopefully that'll mean that some Blink customers will migrate to their service so that I'll suffer less here in Moruga.

Greg

#12 User is offline   Cool3ni Icon

• Forum Jedi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Computers,music,mobiles an anything to do with technology

Posted 31 October 2008 - 09:53 PM

View Postninja_55, on Oct 30 2008, 11:37 PM, said:

Up to now majority of south central still can't access the tstt speedtest page which is http://speedtest.tstt.net.tt/ it just remains black lol. i real fed up now though. I also realize during those peak hrs i no longer get full bandwith so it's getting worse. i guess i'll have to do the same lich. if tstt don't fix their network before flow comes i goneeeeee.

I thought is everyone that cant access the speedtest page?

#13 User is offline   Who Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:49 PM

View Postgreall, on Oct 31 2008, 02:11 AM, said:

My friend in Jamaica complained of the same thing with his CW ADSL service for months: there was just too many people on the service in his area and I saw the runaround that he got there.

There's always a myriad of 'solutions' that Blink tech support give when you call from decreasing the length of the phone cord from the wall jack to the modem to continuously rebooting the modem.

I'm seeing Flow working in the rain in Princes Town so hopefully that'll mean that some Blink customers will migrate to their service so that I'll suffer less here in Moruga.

Greg

Yeah boy they really pushing the work in Princes Town right now. As soon as they reach my house I will help you out and switch :D...Everyone in my house already with Digicel and when Flow done, I will never have anything to do with TSTT again.

#14 User is offline   ninja_55 Icon

• Post Machine
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:55 PM

View PostCool3ni, on Oct 31 2008, 09:53 PM, said:

I thought is everyone that cant access the speedtest page?

na up north it normal

#15 User is offline   Trini.tk Icon

• Forum Jedi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 November 2008 - 12:49 PM

View Postadmin, on Oct 29 2008, 09:51 PM, said:

x10000
browsing with Blink is slow like this on a regular basis with me
i've been online for about an 30 mins now with some research and this has happened to me at least 4 times

i was at my boss's house this weekend and his Flow is working like a well oiled machine

• (9 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users