TSTT Forum: blink firewall - TSTT Forum

Page 1 of 1

blink firewall does this mean its still on?

#1 User is offline   Ne05apien Icon

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Post icon  Posted 13 December 2008 - 10:01 PM

Greetings people, hope everything is fine with alyuh, im a fellow blink (2mb) user from arima and first time poster.

well when i just got my connection about a year or 2 ago i think it was 256 then, i applied for it with out firewall but when i check
like most ports was still closed, and i asked them if my firewall was on and they said no, but it seem like it was still on
now i on 2mb almost a a year now, i once asked them again like since it changed to adsl2 and they said its off
but almost all the ports still blocked, and when i checked i did port forwarding and all that and then i just take off my windows firewall my eset firewall and the router and modem firewall is never on(and i tried it directly to the modem with out the router too),
so with all of that off i did the test so i know its not my end thats blocking them, the only ports that appear open is like
the most basic and commonly used ones like from 21 to 24 and 80 .........does this mean the blink firewall is on? and how common is this? (tstt telling u it off when its probably on) :huh:

#2 User is offline   Alpine Icon

• Forum Jedi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: MembersRes1

Posted 14 December 2008 - 08:32 PM

hahahahah nah it off most likely.

I had to call TSTT 7 times and keep saying turn it off and then one day I got lucky and a CSR who was smart say yeah it on.

Then she turn it off.

#3 User is offline   Lich King Icon

• Telecom Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 December 2008 - 08:43 PM

View PostNe05apien, on Dec 13 2008, 10:01 PM, said:

Greetings people, hope everything is fine with alyuh, im a fellow blink (2mb) user from arima and first time poster.

well when i just got my connection about a year or 2 ago i think it was 256 then, i applied for it with out firewall but when i check
like most ports was still closed, and i asked them if my firewall was on and they said no, but it seem like it was still on
now i on 2mb almost a a year now, i once asked them again like since it changed to adsl2 and they said its off
but almost all the ports still blocked, and when i checked i did port forwarding and all that and then i just take off my windows firewall my eset firewall and the router and modem firewall is never on(and i tried it directly to the modem with out the router too),
so with all of that off i did the test so i know its not my end thats blocking them, the only ports that appear open is like
the most basic and commonly used ones like from 21 to 24 and 80 .........does this mean the blink firewall is on? and how common is this? (tstt telling u it off when its probably on) :huh:
well it sounds like you have to keep calling them to get to the truth. However the real reason I came was to tell you not to waste time using more than 1 software firewalls, they really useless and just slows down your network for nothing, stick to the windows firewall and switch from ESS to EAV because ESS never help you b4 and it never will. Those things are just marketing, ESET needs to make money and people who don't know better think they need more firewall protection so ESET has to step up like the rest of the competition else they won't get their share of the market. Also make sure you port forward correctly. If you want to bypass everything and be certain where the problem is then go through the modem advanced wan setup but enable PPP IP extention and lower on that same page click use the following default gateway then click use wan interface. Follow through the setup then save and finish to reboot. Next connect the modem directly to a pc then see if the ports open. Btw how exactly do you check to see if the ports are open?

#4 User is offline   Ne05apien Icon

• PipPip

Posted 15 December 2008 - 07:10 PM

View PostAlpine, on Dec 14 2008, 08:32 PM, said:

hahahahah nah it off most likely.

I had to call TSTT 7 times and keep saying turn it off and then one day I got lucky and a CSR who was smart say yeah it on.

Then she turn it off.

i think thats what ill have to do lol thanks

View PostLich King, on Dec 14 2008, 08:43 PM, said:

well it sounds like you have to keep calling them to get to the truth. However the real reason I came was to tell you not to waste time using more than 1 software firewalls, they really useless and just slows down your network for nothing, stick to the windows firewall and switch from ESS to EAV because ESS never help you b4 and it never will. Those things are just marketing, ESET needs to make money and people who don't know better think they need more firewall protection so ESET has to step up like the rest of the competition else they won't get their share of the market. Also make sure you port forward correctly. If you want to bypass everything and be certain where the problem is then go through the modem advanced wan setup but enable PPP IP extention and lower on that same page click use the following default gateway then click use wan interface. Follow through the setup then save and finish to reboot. Next connect the modem directly to a pc then see if the ports open. Btw how exactly do you check to see if the ports are open?

thanks. i tried that and its still blocked (with out windows firewall and i gone back to plain kaspersky with out firewall and i also tried it on another computer with free avg and windows firewall disabled). i tried it with various port checkers and scanners online, the only one i could remember off hand now is the utorrent port checker which checks 6881 and this one http://www.t1shopper...s/port-scanner/

#5 User is offline   jod Icon

• PipPip

Posted 16 December 2008 - 11:56 AM

View PostNe05apien, on Dec 15 2008, 07:10 PM, said:

i think thats what ill have to do lol thanks

thanks. i tried that and its still blocked (with out windows firewall and i gone back to plain kaspersky with out firewall and i also tried it on another computer with free avg and windows firewall disabled). i tried it with various port checkers and scanners online, the only one i could remember off hand now is the utorrent port checker which checks 6881 and this one http://www.t1shopper...s/port-scanner/

I use Shields Up to check the ports once all are coming up as stealthed then the Tstt firewall is on. When TSTT upgrades your package by default it's turned back on happened to me recently when I upgraded from 256-512. Then it took about 4 separate calls for someone to realize it's actually turned on. If your using utorrent port checker remember to clear the browser cache otherwise the results are sometimes incorrect or just change the port number and check again.

#6 User is offline   dept Icon

• PipPip

Posted 19 December 2008 - 01:14 AM

View Postjod, on Dec 16 2008, 11:56 AM, said:

I use Shields Up to check the ports once all are coming up as stealthed then the Tstt firewall is on. When TSTT upgrades your package by default it's turned back on happened to me recently when I upgraded from 256-512. Then it took about 4 separate calls for someone to realize it's actually turned on. If your using utorrent port checker remember to clear the browser cache otherwise the results are sometimes incorrect or just change the port number and check again.

Strange. I only have three ports open 20,23,80. It seems TSTT has mystically put back on my firewall as I have no other firewall setup on the pc or the modem.
Ill call tomorrow to find out.

#7 User is offline   Lich King Icon

• Telecom Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 December 2008 - 09:31 AM

View PostNe05apien, on Dec 15 2008, 07:10 PM, said:

Well there is your problem right there, you are testing it wrongly. Just because the firewalls are all off does not mean all your ports are going to be open just like that, you are still behind a NAT router which is a NAT firewall so if you really want to test then you have to do it the right way. The port scanner will only see an open port if a connection is initiated from behind the NAT firewall using that port so give this a try. You have to load up a program that uses the port you want to check like you can set uTorrent to use whatever port you want and after you open it then start the port scan on the same port you set uTorrent to use. Disable UPnP, NAT-PMP and port randomisation in uTorrent, you can leave on the exception for windows firewall.

If the port is still not open then either your firewall is still on at TSTT or there is still some undetected flaw in your testing process.

#8 User is offline   Ne05apien Icon

• PipPip

Post icon  Posted 20 December 2008 - 03:00 AM

View PostLich King, on Dec 19 2008, 09:31 AM, said:

Well there is your problem right there, you are testing it wrongly. Just because the firewalls are all off does not mean all your ports are going to be open just like that, you are still behind a NAT router which is a NAT firewall so if you really want to test then you have to do it the right way. The port scanner will only see an open port if a connection is initiated from behind the NAT firewall using that port so give this a try. You have to load up a program that uses the port you want to check like you can set uTorrent to use whatever port you want and after you open it then start the port scan on the same port you set uTorrent to use. Disable UPnP, NAT-PMP and port randomisation in uTorrent, you can leave on the exception for windows firewall.

If the port is still not open then either your firewall is still on at TSTT or there is still some undetected flaw in your testing process.

Yes thank u. i realized that i was doing it wrong this morning, but tstt firewall was still on too tho, cause in utorrent i was checking the port i was using, i had upnp enabled in my modem and in utorrent (but randomization off) and did the test (while it was running) and it was still saying blocked/error on that port, i emailed tstt 2 days ago and they took it off and replied to me saying my request is completed and this took 1 DAY!!! i was surprised :lol: .......... now its saying the port is open(when utorrent is running of course) and its working better, im connecting to more peers and reaching speeds it never reached b4 like over 240kbs and thing and i could even host a server now, but i realize my modem was giving trouble tho (when trying to host a kaillera server), cause when i connected it directly (with the instructions u gave me) it worked but when i did it tru the router setting my pc as the dmz host (which i think is required to run a kaillera server, cause it wasnt working no other way <cause even tho i did forward the ports and it was saying the port open when i tested it (while running the server), people coulda see it but couldnt connect, only if i set my pc as dmz host then they could *but only after the firmware update*>) it still wasnt working, but i figured its maybe something to do with the *firmware so i went to the zhone site and download the latest one which is like 2 years newer than the one in my modem and i was reading through the changes/fixes in that release and i saw something about a fix for some dmz problem it had (i forgot what it was exactly, and even tho seemed kinda unrelated to my problem i just see it had something to do with the dmz so i took the gamble of updating it lol), i updated it and it worked*......

forgive meh ignorance on this topic eh, i only now start to get below the surface of the topic of networking, i learnt alot from this situation so far...
oh... and i take back of kaspersky and put back ESS and disable the windows firewall, i rather the firewall in ESS in interactive mode, NOT because i think it will protect me better than windows' own or anything like that, but because, it give me a more sense of control over meh soft-firewall u know and i like being able to see network activity by which site application and ip and so on in ess..

Thank u again, this is the first time im feeling FREE on the internet :D lol like i could do almost anything lol

#9 User is offline   Lich King Icon

• Telecom Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 December 2008 - 04:25 PM

Good to hear everything worked out. 1 Last thing, don't forget to upgrade to the latest version of ESS, v3.0.684. Many security and stability fixes in this latest version.

#10 User is offline   videll Icon

• Pip

Posted 24 September 2009 - 03:27 PM

hey what's the steps in turning off blink personal firewall???are there any security questions???

#11 User is offline   Skylined Icon

• Post Machine
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Internet ;)

Posted 25 September 2009 - 05:10 PM

View Postvidell, on Sep 24 2009, 03:27 PM, said:

hey what's the steps in turning off blink personal firewall???are there any security questions???

Call 62-BLINK and ask to speak to the Help Desk, they will transfer you, ask them to turn off the firewall, they will ask you for the account holder's ID/DP NO.

Hope this helps!

#12 User is offline   newgrantrasta Icon

• PipPip

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:19 PM

Upgraded to Basic Plus and couldn't sign on to xbox live for my life!! Came here to these forums and realized that the smart guys at Tstt activated my firewall, so now I'm good to go. Thanks alot guys! Only thing though, the service is now wayy too slow and games are unplayable online

#13 User is offline   newgrantrasta Icon

• PipPip

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:28 PM

*Upgraded to Blink Premium, not Basic Plus. Had that before

#14 User is offline   Saleem360 Icon

• Pip

Posted 24 October 2009 - 09:10 PM

View Postnewgrantrasta, on 12 October 2009 - 09:28 PM, said:

*Upgraded to Blink Premium, not Basic Plus. Had that before

DO any one know to hack blink and get more speed!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users