TSTT Forum: Frequent Short Calls on my Bill - that I've never Called! - TSTT Forum

Page 1 of 1

Frequent Short Calls on my Bill - that I've never Called! Daily or more frequently, often in the middle of the night

#1 User is offline   balthazor Icon

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 January 2009 - 12:19 PM

Reviewing my telephone bill shows daily calls, always less than a minute in length, to a 628-8911 or 628-8912 number (the 628-8911 is much more common.)

These calls are often at 1:30 in the morning (approximately) although they occur at other times as well.

For my last billing period (DEC - early JAN) they occurred every day, sometimes more frequently.

Calling either number results in a 'tone.' Try it; it is strange.

Thoughts?

#2 User is offline   dr.tt Icon

• Post Machine
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 25 January 2009 - 02:09 PM

View Postbalthazor, on Jan 25 2009, 12:19 PM, said:

Reviewing my telephone bill shows daily calls, always less than a minute in length, to a 628-8911 or 628-8912 number (the 628-8911 is much more common.)

These calls are often at 1:30 in the morning (approximately) although they occur at other times as well.

For my last billing period (DEC - early JAN) they occurred every day, sometimes more frequently.

Calling either number results in a 'tone.' Try it; it is strange.

Thoughts?

That might be your alarm system or something similar.

DR.TT

#3 User is offline   greall Icon

• Telecom Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 January 2009 - 02:29 PM

It sounds like a modem to me.

Greg

#4 User is offline   balthazor Icon

• PipPip

Posted 25 January 2009 - 06:09 PM

View Postdr.tt, on Jan 25 2009, 02:09 PM, said:

That might be your alarm system or something similar.

DR.TT

My alarm is on a separate phone line altogether, on a separate account. And it hasn't been switched. The line with the alarm has a lot of static and noise from the alarm signal, so I use a 2nd line for DSL/voice traffic, which is the number I'm seeing these mystery calls.

View Postgreall, on Jan 25 2009, 02:29 PM, said:

It sounds like a modem to me.

Greg

I don't have any modems connected to the phone line; my DSL connection, a single voice phone, and a fax, using the appropriate DSL filters. Faxes don't dial themselves as far as I can tell; and sometimes the calls are being made when no one is home, which is just strange.

#5 User is offline   greall Icon

• Telecom Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 January 2009 - 09:49 PM

View Postbalthazor, on Jan 25 2009, 06:09 PM, said:

My alarm is on a separate phone line altogether, on a separate account. And it hasn't been switched. The line with the alarm has a lot of static and noise from the alarm signal, so I use a 2nd line for DSL/voice traffic, which is the number I'm seeing these mystery calls.

I don't have any modems connected to the phone line; my DSL connection, a single voice phone, and a fax, using the appropriate DSL filters. Faxes don't dial themselves as far as I can tell; and sometimes the calls are being made when no one is home, which is just strange.

Once programmed,faxes can dial out automatically.There's definitely a modem attached to the numbers that you gave.

You've contacted TSTT on the matter?

Greg

#6 User is offline   dr.tt Icon

• Post Machine
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 January 2009 - 11:09 AM

[quote name='balthazor' date='Jan 25 2009, 06:09 PM' post='19493']

If those numbers belong to your alarm/security system provider, then check with them to confirm the above, since I don't see why your other telephone number would want to or know how to dial your provider's alarm monitoring system.

Dr.TT

#7 User is offline   balthazor Icon

• PipPip

Posted 27 January 2009 - 02:28 PM

Sorry Dr. T, I may have been unclear; the phone number is unknown to me.

I was responding to a conjecture of one of the above posters who was suggesting it may be my alarm system dialing a number; this is not the case, however, as my alarm is on a separate line altogether.

I haven't called TTST yet, work is keeping me tied up. I'll post a reponse what I get an answer.

#8 User is offline   jpf Icon

• Board Warrior
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 February 2009 - 02:10 AM

just an idea (it happened to me once with mysterious overseas calls on my bill) check to see if someone didnt interfere with the telephone box outside your house and tiefing your phone service- or if by chance someone by mistake unplugged & plugged back in the alarm system to the wrong line- if not maybe your line is crossing someone else's- ask tstt whose number that is on your bill. At just b4 1:30 in the night (or whenever the calls are made) pick up the phone & see if you get a dial tone-

In my case when i had dialup and was online at 2 in the morning the connection used to drop just like that at around the same time every night- then i noticed the line went dead at the same time- and at times the line stayed dead for a couple days- thought it was tstt screwing up-& we called tstt to fix it & the tech said 'the line look like it get tampered with'. but the one night i just happened to venture outside after it went dead and low and behold the girl living in the downstairs apt. from me was intefering with the wires in the box- the overseas no. was traced on the net to someone in her family- she was surprised we found out (guess she wasnt smart enough to know overseas calls show up on the bill- & I was on the net some of the times when she tried to tief calls) after that it never went dead again...

#9 User is offline   Lich King Icon

• Telecom Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 February 2009 - 02:28 AM

View Postjpf, on Feb 2 2009, 02:10 AM, said:

just an idea (it happened to me once with mysterious overseas calls on my bill) check to see if someone didnt interfere with the telephone box outside your house and tiefing your phone service- or if by chance someone by mistake unplugged & plugged back in the alarm system to the wrong line- if not maybe your line is crossing someone else's- ask tstt whose number that is on your bill. At just b4 1:30 in the night (or whenever the calls are made) pick up the phone & see if you get a dial tone-

In my case when i had dialup and was online at 2 in the morning the connection used to drop just like that at around the same time every night- then i noticed the line went dead at the same time- and at times the line stayed dead for a couple days- thought it was tstt screwing up-& we called tstt to fix it & the tech said 'the line look like it get tampered with'. but the one night i just happened to venture outside after it went dead and low and behold the girl living in the downstairs apt. from me was intefering with the wires in the box- the overseas no. was traced on the net to someone in her family- she was surprised we found out (guess she wasnt smart enough to know overseas calls show up on the bill- & I was on the net some of the times when she tried to tief calls) after that it never went dead again...
Just when I thought I heard it all.....
This is exactly the reason TSTT began encouraging people to use the new PIN system assigned to making foreign calls. I would also encourage people to get that PIN set up to prevent unauthorised foreign calls because now TSTT has a reason to not be held liable for any of those charges incurred. I guess balthazor is lucky his strange numbers are local. balthazor you should definitely do your own investigating as jpf suggested.

#10 User is offline   balthazor Icon

• PipPip

Posted 03 February 2009 - 04:46 PM

Well, I'm an ###.

I'm using the TSTT e-service to view my phone bills; I have two separate accounts, one for my alarm phone line, and one for my DSL/voice line.

Only my DSL/voice line is actually setup on the e-service, which lets me view my monthly billing and pay it if the hard copy bill gets to me late; my alarm line is always the same every month, so I didn't bother requesting that account to be on e-service.

Despite that, it appears my 'alarm line' billing is also displayed on the downloaded .csv files available on the TSTT e-service; and the frequent strange phone calls are indeed my alarm system contacting the monitoring facility.

#11 User is offline   greall Icon

• Telecom Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:53 PM

View Postbalthazor, on Feb 3 2009, 04:46 PM, said:

Well, I'm an ###.

I'm using the TSTT e-service to view my phone bills; I have two separate accounts, one for my alarm phone line, and one for my DSL/voice line.

Only my DSL/voice line is actually setup on the e-service, which lets me view my monthly billing and pay it if the hard copy bill gets to me late; my alarm line is always the same every month, so I didn't bother requesting that account to be on e-service.

Despite that, it appears my 'alarm line' billing is also displayed on the downloaded .csv files available on the TSTT e-service; and the frequent strange phone calls are indeed my alarm system contacting the monitoring facility.

Well,it's good to finally get an explanation for what was happening... ;)

Greg

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users