• (2 Pages)
  • +

Problems Dialing Up

#1 User is offline   CapeMayGrrl Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 31 March 2009 - 11:18 AM

I have been having problems dialing up since Sunday morning. I have tried both dialup numbers, but it takes a long time to connect and the speeds are very slow. I have checked my phone line and it is crystal clear. I have tried different computers with different modems, and same problems. Has anyone else with dialup noticed a problem? Does anyone know if TSTT is doing something?

#2 User is offline   ninja_billy Icon

• Forum Jedi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:25 PM

yeah they probably phasing that motha out, sorry blood j/k. They probably just working on it, just be patient it should start back working. Can't remember hearing the option for dial up services when calling 824-TSTT but you can call them and see what up.

#3 User is offline   Lich King Icon

• Telecom Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 March 2009 - 11:53 PM

View PostCapeMayGrrl, on Mar 31 2009, 11:18 AM, said:

I have been having problems dialing up since Sunday morning. I have tried both dialup numbers, but it takes a long time to connect and the speeds are very slow. I have checked my phone line and it is crystal clear. I have tried different computers with different modems, and same problems. Has anyone else with dialup noticed a problem? Does anyone know if TSTT is doing something?
TSTT used to also use these numbers for dial up but I don't know if they still up. Give them a try and see if they work better for you. They should still be toll free because the area code is 619. Let us know how it goes. Good Luck. btw you using limited or unlimited?
619-4650.
619-4777.

#4 User is offline   fouljuice Icon

• PipPip

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:37 AM

sometime (i think) december last year 6195638 just stopped working for me. it would connect like normal but once connected it would only receive 198 bytes in the connection status window and no page would load. I thought it was a minor problem that would be fixed by next morning like the "verifying username and password" annoyance, but after about 2 weeks of waiting and trying i decided to call 824T$TT. after about 30 mins of talking to the person and constantly stating that i did not change any computer settings and suggesting that the problem was on t$tt's side, and following his instructions to run ipconfig and netstat and whatever else, which i had already done on many previous occasions, i was finally told to try 6194650 which worked. Up to this day 6195638 has not worked for me. (this is princes town area btw)

But anyhow, i not sure if this is the same problem you are having but around the 5th march dial-up started to move like....lamer dial-up, and i could only open 1 webpage at a time( sometimes 2 if i was lucky) and wait until it was almost fully loaded before i could open another. If i open more than one page, then all would just stop loading and if i tried clicking refresh on any page, the title would just change to "untitled" and nothing would load unless i disconnect and reconnect and reload one page at a time. I really cant remember if there was a slowdown because the overall browsing experience was more time consuming due to that scenario. However about 1.5-2 weeks later the problem disappeared as miraculously as it has appeared and i did not change any settings on the computer.

So my most effective advice for you is to pretend your dial-up working good so in any case you have to sit and wait. and if about 1 week pass with no improvement then you could probably call that lovely number 824T$TT.
LOL and you would think that since we paying such a high price for such an already slow limited ancient service that we would at least get the maximum performance or at least excellent customer support.

#5 User is offline   riche Icon

• Post Machine
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:14 AM

619-4777 = KFC?

#6 User is offline   CapeMayGrrl Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:39 AM

Hi,

I've been having a real problem getting thru, that's why it's taken me so long to respond. I use both dialup numbers 5638 and 4650 and I am having the same problem. 4777 never worked for me. I have the 50 hour package.

Nothing has changed, I was very worried it was my PowerBook, but it seems that the other 'puters have similar problems too.

I usually get 44,400 bps - 40,000 bps on my USB modem. But since Sunday, dialing up and connecting has been hell and when I do connect I get 24,000 bps. Sloooooow. Yesterday I could only get 4800 bps. Syyyyyrrrrruuuup......

I DREAD calling 824-CRAP (oops! I mean TSTT) there isn't a dialup section anymore so I go round and round in a circle and then I am transferred to India, and I always get someone with a thick accent who I can't understand! I'M A YANKEE, we have limitations! I just hope this will fix itself.

I did read in the paper that March-April TSTT was working on the Internet Service between 1a-5a. Now I thought that was the Blink Service. Could dialup service be affected by this too?

#7 User is offline   ninja_billy Icon

• Forum Jedi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:53 PM

why are you still on dial up, not other alternatives available not even green dot.

#8 User is offline   fouljuice Icon

• PipPip

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:13 PM

i dont mean to sound pessimistic but is t$tt you talking about. contacting them to get info usually only results in high blood pressure.
when my dial-up was sticking, coincidentally t$tt was doing maintenance work on their new lines and cabinets which was not not even activated then and still isnt. so maybe and maybe not, but i am sure they will tell you the reason for your slowdown is because of maintenance work or some unrelated issue.

#9 User is offline   dr.tt Icon

• Post Machine
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:46 PM

View PostCapeMayGrrl, on Apr 1 2009, 11:39 AM, said:

Hi,

I've been having a real problem getting thru, that's why it's taken me so long to respond. I use both dialup numbers 5638 and 4650 and I am having the same problem. 4777 never worked for me. I have the 50 hour package.

Nothing has changed, I was very worried it was my PowerBook, but it seems that the other 'puters have similar problems too.

I usually get 44,400 bps - 40,000 bps on my USB modem. But since Sunday, dialing up and connecting has been hell and when I do connect I get 24,000 bps. Sloooooow. Yesterday I could only get 4800 bps. Syyyyyrrrrruuuup......

I DREAD calling 824-CRAP (oops! I mean TSTT) there isn't a dialup section anymore so I go round and round in a circle and then I am transferred to India, and I always get someone with a thick accent who I can't understand! I'M A YANKEE, we have limitations! I just hope this will fix itself.

I did read in the paper that March-April TSTT was working on the Internet Service between 1a-5a. Now I thought that was the Blink Service. Could dialup service be affected by this too?

From what you are describing, it sounds like a line problem - even if you cannot hear noise on your line. Someone at the local helpdesk should be able to test your line and tell if there might be faults on your line.

DR.TT

#10 User is offline   CapeMayGrrl Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 April 2009 - 04:41 PM

Hi again. Still having problems.

I am starting to suspect that a line issue might be the case. I just found out from my father today that Sunday morning (the day my problems began) our phone was dead for about twenty minutes. Then it came back and there wasn't any static or noise, it sounded clear so he didn't worry.

I've decided to call TSTT and find out if there could be work going on in my area.

We live in a very rural section of Grande. Unfortunately no Blink. No Flow. ( I have DirecTV to fit my television needs.) No Greendot. (As of July '08. I haven't called them since then, I probably should.) Therefore Dialup is the only option.

I signed up for Blink on February 26, 2008. Over a 13 months ago. Maybe before 2012 I could get it.... Hopefully.

I'll keep you all up to date.

#11 User is offline   greall Icon

• Telecom Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:04 PM

View PostCapeMayGrrl, on Apr 2 2009, 04:41 PM, said:

Hi again. Still having problems.

I am starting to suspect that a line issue might be the case. I just found out from my father today that Sunday morning (the day my problems began) our phone was dead for about twenty minutes. Then it came back and there wasn't any static or noise, it sounded clear so he didn't worry.

I've decided to call TSTT and find out if there could be work going on in my area.

We live in a very rural section of Grande. Unfortunately no Blink. No Flow. ( I have DirecTV to fit my television needs.) No Greendot. (As of July '08. I haven't called them since then, I probably should.) Therefore Dialup is the only option.

I signed up for Blink on February 26, 2008. Over a 13 months ago. Maybe before 2012 I could get it.... Hopefully.

I'll keep you all up to date.

You seem to be in for a really long wait.

Greg

#12 User is offline   CapeMayGrrl Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 April 2009 - 06:11 PM

I called TSTT today at around 1:15p to talk about my problem, as far as they know everything is okay with the dialup service and there wasn't any work going on in the area so they ask me if I would be interested in having a tech coming out. I say sure, why not. They give me the usual pitch it's gonna take 5 to 7 business days... Yada Yada Yada. Then guess what???? An hour later, a tech calls my dad on the cell that he's coming to the house. I was totally floored. I don't know about anyone here, but I have called up TSTT on several occasions for a repair tech and they have never EVER came in an hour! It usually takes me three weeks! I didn't expect anyone coming to the house until after the summit!

Well the contractor came out to check the line and played with a few wires here in there, but the line seems to be clear. So he did his job, I guess. My problem is still kinda there. I am having better luck with 4650 then 5638 today so I am going to stick with it, but it's not like what i had before Sunday. So I am still not sure what the heck happened. Maybe this will fix itself maybe it won't. I guess we will have to see what we shall see. Maybe Blink will come soon! (rolling my eyes at the probability of the impossible)

#13 User is offline   greall Icon

• Telecom Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:04 PM

View PostCapeMayGrrl, on Apr 3 2009, 06:11 PM, said:

I called TSTT today at around 1:15p to talk about my problem, as far as they know everything is okay with the dialup service and there wasn't any work going on in the area so they ask me if I would be interested in having a tech coming out. I say sure, why not. They give me the usual pitch it's gonna take 5 to 7 business days... Yada Yada Yada. Then guess what???? An hour later, a tech calls my dad on the cell that he's coming to the house. I was totally floored. I don't know about anyone here, but I have called up TSTT on several occasions for a repair tech and they have never EVER came in an hour! It usually takes me three weeks! I didn't expect anyone coming to the house until after the summit!

Well the contractor came out to check the line and played with a few wires here in there, but the line seems to be clear. So he did his job, I guess. My problem is still kinda there. I am having better luck with 4650 then 5638 today so I am going to stick with it, but it's not like what i had before Sunday. So I am still not sure what the heck happened. Maybe this will fix itself maybe it won't. I guess we will have to see what we shall see. Maybe Blink will come soon! (rolling my eyes at the probability of the impossible)

The techs are dispatched within a reasonable time frame these days.There are some who try to do the best that they can to assist but once the problem's out of their hands as in a cable length fault then there's not much that he can do.

Keep the faith for Blink.

Greg

#14 User is offline   Lich King Icon

• Telecom Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:07 PM

View Postgreall, on Apr 3 2009, 08:04 PM, said:

The techs are dispatched within a reasonable time frame these days.There are some who try to do the best that they can to assist but once the problem's out of their hands as in a cable length fault then there's not much that he can do.

Keep the faith for Blink.

Greg
Yes but the skill level of the techs is quite unreasonable. Some of them went to check out an installation at a house where I laid cat5 for the telephone network and like they got confused and disconnect the pair that was being used for data for some reason. Not to mention the problem was not even the house wiring, it at the exchange but they came to mess with my wiring. After they screw it up, later that day I got a call to come fix the problem because the people were only getting voice service and no dsl signal. That is TSTT technicians for you, like all they know is a red and green pair and how to change phone boxes, I say this because twice they came by me and always connected the tip and ring wires in reversed polarity. I know it dosen't really matter what colour scheme is used but I prefer to use the standard colour coding for tip and ring.

That being said, you could probably install new wiring at your home depending on how old the current cables are because those telephone wires are general purpose grade and so impurities like moisture seep through the insulation over time, not to mention some people paint the cables, and if any part of it receives direct sunlight it will be degraded over time. For any outdoor cable that is exposed to sunlight and rain, just get a piece of trunking to cover it, the regular white half inch trunking is about $16 to $20 for 9.67 feet but it is well worth the time and effort because the resistance and other electrical properties of the cables are altered by sunlight and temperature changes.

#15 User is offline   CapeMayGrrl Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 April 2009 - 01:34 PM

GUESS WHAT?!!!!!!

A Blink tech just called my house! A guy is coming after 3pm to install!!

OOOOOOoooooh! I'm so excited! <squealing like a little girl>

Screw Dial Up! WHO CARES IF THERE IS A PROBLEM?!!!!

Brooooooohahahahahahahahaaaa!

Talk to ya people later!

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users