Problems Dialing Up

#16 User is offline   greall Icon

• Telecom Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 April 2009 - 03:14 PM

View PostCapeMayGrrl, on Apr 4 2009, 01:34 PM, said:

GUESS WHAT?!!!!!!

A Blink tech just called my house! A guy is coming after 3pm to install!!

OOOOOOoooooh! I'm so excited! <squealing like a little girl>

Screw Dial Up! WHO CARES IF THERE IS A PROBLEM?!!!!

Brooooooohahahahahahahahaaaa!

Talk to ya people later!

I told you that you just had to have patience... :P

Welcome to the Blink universe... :P

Perhaps the 'no dial tone' last week was your switch over to digital.

Greg

#17 User is offline   CapeMayGrrl Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 April 2009 - 06:03 PM

Well now I am totally bummed!!!!

The tech installed the modem, but I am not connecting.

Apparently I am getting an "Authentification Failure". ????
He didn't fully explain what was wrong.

(WAN section in the setup. If that's any help)

He said TSTT has something to do at the home office and that they will call my Dad on Sunday or Monday with what to do.

So I have this cute little wi-fi modem sitting here, and I have to DIAL UP to send this message! UGH!

I didn't like the tech at all. I never had high speed before in my life so this world is new to me so there are things that I don't understand. The guy didn't even tell me what our username/password is! Do we even have one? I'm dumbfounded by the lack of customer service, here. I really am.

Any opinions?

(Oh and btw to Greg. It all makes sense now to me! Sunday must have been the switch from analog to digital! That's why the computers have been dialing up so strangely! According to my Macs user guides digital lines give their modems some dialing up problems. It just never occurred to me!)

#18 User is offline   Lich King Icon

• Telecom Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 April 2009 - 06:34 PM

View PostCapeMayGrrl, on Apr 4 2009, 06:03 PM, said:

Well now I am totally bummed!!!!

The tech installed the modem, but I am not connecting.

Apparently I am getting an "Authentification Failure". ????
He didn't fully explain what was wrong.

(WAN section in the setup. If that's any help)

He said TSTT has something to do at the home office and that they will call my Dad on Sunday or Monday with what to do.

So I have this cute little wi-fi modem sitting here, and I have to DIAL UP to send this message! UGH!

I didn't like the tech at all. I never had high speed before in my life so this world is new to me so there are things that I don't understand. The guy didn't even tell me what our username/password is! Do we even have one? I'm dumbfounded by the lack of customer service, here. I really am.

Any opinions?

(Oh and btw to Greg. It all makes sense now to me! Sunday must have been the switch from analog to digital! That's why the computers have been dialing up so strangely! According to my Macs user guides digital lines give their modems some dialing up problems. It just never occurred to me!)
The problem is just like I said before, the techman lacking sense. Just follow this guide and input your same username and password you used to use for dial up. I am assuming that when you signed up for blink you put your current dial up username on the form. When you follow the guide you don't have to change any settings except the username and password because everything else should be set correctly. Check the device info page on the router setup to see what is the status of the wan connection, let us know how it.

#19 User is offline   greall Icon

• Telecom Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 April 2009 - 09:33 PM

View PostLich King, on Apr 4 2009, 06:34 PM, said:

The problem is just like I said before, the techman lacking sense. Just follow this guide and input your same username and password you used to use for dial up. I am assuming that when you signed up for blink you put your current dial up username on the form. When you follow the guide you don't have to change any settings except the username and password because everything else should be set correctly. Check the device info page on the router setup to see what is the status of the wan connection, let us know how it.

The actual set up process does seem esoteric but luckily I had a few friends at TSTT to sort it out for me.

Greg

#20 User is offline   CapeMayGrrl Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 April 2009 - 11:08 PM

Hey all!

I have a really really bad headache. The kind that kills. Getting Blinked was ridiculously long, the csr was useless so I had to do it myself. What a nightmare we were on the phone for like TWO HOURS!! I will give you details tomorrow when I can function. LOL.

But I am blinked!

I'll talk to ya tomorrow!

#21 User is offline   Lich King Icon

• Telecom Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 April 2009 - 11:49 PM

View Postgreall, on Apr 4 2009, 09:33 PM, said:

The actual set up process does seem esoteric but luckily I had a few friends at TSTT to sort it out for me.

Greg
Using big words yes...LOL. esoteric is an esoteric word.
That wasn't my fault though, it's the way the people at Zhone made the firmware, I would say they went out of their way to make the interface the most difficult thing to setup. I mean port forwarding is called virtual servers for crying out loud, who the hell would think about port forwarding upon hearing the words virtual servers? The Zhone QoS and firewall rules are also the most difficult thing I have ever seen and I still don't know how to configure it. Even though I am fully capable of writing scripts to do the same things in dd-wrt firmwares I can't for the life of me figure out how to use that stupid zhone web interface. I concluded they don't want people using it and everytime I ask them for a full explanation on what the options do, they tell me I need to call TSTT to just waste my time like TSTT really going to know those things. It was for this reason I had to write a little guide using the exact words from the setup pages to make sure it doesn't confuse anyone by me referring to a specific option by a diffrent name.

The only thing that needs to be added is details on how to set up the wifi and secure it. I can't do it because I don't have a wifi modem to test out the settings. I did see the interface options once and yet again they made the simplest of things look extra difficult to configure. Most people with the blink wifi modem have no idea how to secure it. I think the aim of TSTT is to make the whole country a free hotspot. :D

#22 User is offline   greall Icon

• Telecom Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 April 2009 - 11:58 PM

View PostLich King, on Apr 4 2009, 11:49 PM, said:

Using big words yes...LOL. esoteric is an esoteric word.
That wasn't my fault though, it's the way the people at Zhone made the firmware, I would say they went out of their way to make the interface the most difficult thing to setup. I mean port forwarding is called virtual servers for crying out loud, who the hell would think about port forwarding upon hearing the words virtual servers? The Zhone QoS and firewall rules are also the most difficult thing I have ever seen and I still don't know how to configure it. Even though I am fully capable of writing scripts to do the same things in dd-wrt firmwares I can't for the life of me figure out how to use that stupid zhone web interface. I concluded they don't want people using it and everytime I ask them for a full explanation on what the options do, they tell me I need to call TSTT to just waste my time like TSTT really going to know those things. It was for this reason I had to write a little guide using the exact words from the setup pages to make sure it doesn't confuse anyone by me referring to a specific option by a diffrent name.

The only thing that needs to be added is details on how to set up the wifi and secure it. I can't do it because I don't have a wifi modem to test out the settings. I did see the interface options once and yet again they made the simplest of things look extra difficult to configure. Most people with the blink wifi modem have no idea how to secure it. I think the aim of TSTT is to make the whole country a free hotspot. :D

That's too funny... :lol:

Greg

#23 User is offline   CapeMayGrrl Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 April 2009 - 07:08 AM

Okay. It is morning and I feel better. Happy Palm Sunday everyone!

This is was what happened. @ 1:30p. The tech calls and says he would like to install Blink for us this afternoon. We say HELL YEAH! He comes at 4:30p.
(It during the three hour wait, we realized that all the problems we had dialing up since last Sunday must have been the switch from analog to digital. Our computer modems are not 100% compatible with digital phone lines)

First of all he hooks the modem in and gives us ZERO information. Username? Password? Nothing. Zip. He didn't take time to explain ANYTHING!
Anyways, authentication keeps failing so he mumbles something about TSTT calling us either tomorrow or Monday and then we'd be okay. I went on this site and read some of your comments (I printed out Lich King's instructions on how to set up the modem) and then told my Dad to call TSTT. We were in a loop de loop between different csr's for like a half an hour. Unplug this, plug in that, bla bla bla. I'm like, username? password? HELLLLOO????? Then the guy tells my dad on the phone that since we are upgrading from a dialup account to Blink there is some kind of procedure they have to do to disconnect the dialup and switch to the blink call in two hours. So we watch a movie. We called after the movie. After going through parts of the set up for like the millionth time, we're still getting Authentication failed. The guy says unplug it and plug it back in and then it should work. Ok. We hang up. STILL AUTHENTICATION failed!

We call back loop de loop again and then we get transferred to a CSR in India, my worst fear! My dad is over 60, he could not understand a word the woman said so I took over on the phone. To be honest, I was not much better. I must have asked her to repeat herself a dozen times, not only was it a bad connection, but I just couldn't understand her half the time. We FINALLY went through the advanced setup and I FINALLY found out what our username and password was. Which I can't understand why the technician didn't give us SOME kind of paper or something with information on it. Well anyway, when we finished that process authentication was not failing and we were now on "Status Up", but when you went to a webpage like yahoo.com or something like that, there was nothing going on. No page was loading. I was on the phone with the India CSR for like an hour going through the same things over and over and over, I had to type in the DHCP DNS server stuff manually, bla bla bla. Still no websites were loading. Eventually she said she had to call some higher up to find out what the problems were and they would call me back tomorrow. I hung up the phone. It was minutes to 11p and I was just fed up! Then my father told me, FORGET TSTT! Use the setup sheet you printed out! So I did. The computer setup and Lich King's setup sheet were pretty much in sync. The technician and the TSTT India CSR had me using PPPoE this whole time, so I decided to change it to PPPoA and see if that made a difference. AND IT DID! Once I finished Amazon.com, loaded IMMEDIATELY. We were astonished! Not one person said to even TRY PPPoA. If I didn't print up that setup beforehand we'd still be waiting!!! India did call at around 11:30p last night but we had already gotten everything covered. SO WE ARE BLINKED!!!

I am currently downloading some software at 117 kilobytes per/sec right now. This is so awesome!!! I am just amazed at the world of high speed internet! Dialup is just so many shades of CRAP compared to this! I can be online on my laptop while my parents are online with their iMac. It is just HEAVEN! I am soooo in love with the fast and unlimited access to information!

I appreciate the service and I am really glad I have it, but I really hate the way it was done though. I mean, we get a call, the DAY OF installation not a few days prior. We could have at least gotten some information over the phone if they had given us a head's up before installation. And that technician! HE WAS USELESS! All he was was a glorified delivery man! If someone had given us the username/password I could have set this up MYSELF! I am aghast at the TERRIBLE customer service and HORRIFIC lack of communication. It's really bad here. I can't get used to it either, I know it's not fair to compare T&T to the U.S., but it's very difficult for me to have anything get done smoothly without any bumps! I don't know what it is!

But enough bitching and moaning, I have Blink. I am very satisfied with my speed (as of right now, anyway). I just wish TSTT would communicate things better, if I wasn't here my father would have never been able to do it, and he is NOT a stupid man. I just think that TSTT should have executed that whole thing MUCH BETTER. You know what I mean?

#24 User is offline   ninja_billy Icon

• Forum Jedi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 April 2009 - 06:07 PM

View PostCapeMayGrrl, on Apr 5 2009, 07:08 AM, said:

Okay. It is morning and I feel better. Happy Palm Sunday everyone!

This is was what happened. @ 1:30p. The tech calls and says he would like to install Blink for us this afternoon. We say HELL YEAH! He comes at 4:30p.
(It during the three hour wait, we realized that all the problems we had dialing up since last Sunday must have been the switch from analog to digital. Our computer modems are not 100% compatible with digital phone lines)

First of all he hooks the modem in and gives us ZERO information. Username? Password? Nothing. Zip. He didn't take time to explain ANYTHING!
Anyways, authentication keeps failing so he mumbles something about TSTT calling us either tomorrow or Monday and then we'd be okay. I went on this site and read some of your comments (I printed out Lich King's instructions on how to set up the modem) and then told my Dad to call TSTT. We were in a loop de loop between different csr's for like a half an hour. Unplug this, plug in that, bla bla bla. I'm like, username? password? HELLLLOO????? Then the guy tells my dad on the phone that since we are upgrading from a dialup account to Blink there is some kind of procedure they have to do to disconnect the dialup and switch to the blink call in two hours. So we watch a movie. We called after the movie. After going through parts of the set up for like the millionth time, we're still getting Authentication failed. The guy says unplug it and plug it back in and then it should work. Ok. We hang up. STILL AUTHENTICATION failed!

We call back loop de loop again and then we get transferred to a CSR in India, my worst fear! My dad is over 60, he could not understand a word the woman said so I took over on the phone. To be honest, I was not much better. I must have asked her to repeat herself a dozen times, not only was it a bad connection, but I just couldn't understand her half the time. We FINALLY went through the advanced setup and I FINALLY found out what our username and password was. Which I can't understand why the technician didn't give us SOME kind of paper or something with information on it. Well anyway, when we finished that process authentication was not failing and we were now on "Status Up", but when you went to a webpage like yahoo.com or something like that, there was nothing going on. No page was loading. I was on the phone with the India CSR for like an hour going through the same things over and over and over, I had to type in the DHCP DNS server stuff manually, bla bla bla. Still no websites were loading. Eventually she said she had to call some higher up to find out what the problems were and they would call me back tomorrow. I hung up the phone. It was minutes to 11p and I was just fed up! Then my father told me, FORGET TSTT! Use the setup sheet you printed out! So I did. The computer setup and Lich King's setup sheet were pretty much in sync. The technician and the TSTT India CSR had me using PPPoE this whole time, so I decided to change it to PPPoA and see if that made a difference. AND IT DID! Once I finished Amazon.com, loaded IMMEDIATELY. We were astonished! Not one person said to even TRY PPPoA. If I didn't print up that setup beforehand we'd still be waiting!!! India did call at around 11:30p last night but we had already gotten everything covered. SO WE ARE BLINKED!!!

I am currently downloading some software at 117 kilobytes per/sec right now. This is so awesome!!! I am just amazed at the world of high speed internet! Dialup is just so many shades of CRAP compared to this! I can be online on my laptop while my parents are online with their iMac. It is just HEAVEN! I am soooo in love with the fast and unlimited access to information!

I appreciate the service and I am really glad I have it, but I really hate the way it was done though. I mean, we get a call, the DAY OF installation not a few days prior. We could have at least gotten some information over the phone if they had given us a head's up before installation. And that technician! HE WAS USELESS! All he was was a glorified delivery man! If someone had given us the username/password I could have set this up MYSELF! I am aghast at the TERRIBLE customer service and HORRIFIC lack of communication. It's really bad here. I can't get used to it either, I know it's not fair to compare T&T to the U.S., but it's very difficult for me to have anything get done smoothly without any bumps! I don't know what it is!

But enough bitching and moaning, I have Blink. I am very satisfied with my speed (as of right now, anyway). I just wish TSTT would communicate things better, if I wasn't here my father would have never been able to do it, and he is NOT a stupid man. I just think that TSTT should have executed that whole thing MUCH BETTER. You know what I mean?

With tstt the phrase "live and learn" always come to mind, never expect them to give you all the information always ask questions it's what i do whenever i talk to a tstt tech that seems to be competent enough, working on a problem in my home. Took them long enough to get you blinked enjoy the highspeed jed, doh stay up to late abusing it. lol

#25 User is offline   greall Icon

• Telecom Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 April 2009 - 06:13 PM

View Postninja_billy, on Apr 5 2009, 06:07 PM, said:

With tstt the phrase "live and learn" always come to mind, never expect them to give you all the information always ask questions it's what i do whenever i talk to a tstt tech that seems to be competent enough, working on a problem in my home. Took them long enough to get you blinked enjoy the highspeed jed, doh stay up to late abusing it. lol

She might get bored with it after a while... :lol:

Greg

#26 User is offline   fouljuice Icon

• PipPip

Posted 06 April 2009 - 11:55 PM

actually, abuse it as much as you could. when you get bored or tired, leave it downloading large files or streaming videos. is the most you cud probably do to get back at tstt for keeping you waiting so long while paying dialup rates.

#27 User is offline   CapeMayGrrl Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 April 2009 - 11:52 AM

Agreed! 13 month wait is quite cruel! And I am enjoying it! But then again I have nothing but dial up to compare it to! I am satisfied.... I am assuming cable internet (FLOW) is faster than DSL? But you can't get greedy. At least dial up is outta my life! :P

#28 User is offline   greall Icon

• Telecom Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 April 2009 - 11:59 AM

View Postfouljuice, on Apr 6 2009, 11:55 PM, said:

actually, abuse it as much as you could. when you get bored or tired, leave it downloading large files or streaming videos. is the most you cud probably do to get back at tstt for keeping you waiting so long while paying dialup rates.

Hmm...then they just cap your connection,man... <_<

Paying for speeds that are as fast as dial up...seems counterproductive to me

Greg

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users