TSTT Forum: Strange overseas incoming call on bmobile phone - TSTT Forum

Page 1 of 1

Strange overseas incoming call on bmobile phone weird overseas call

#1 User is offline   jpf Icon

• Board Warrior
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 September 2009 - 01:36 PM

hey did anyone get a call with a strange overseas # last week on bmobile? myself & another fella at work got it
the # was +2347069230045. too big to be a US #. The person hang up b4 I could answer though

#2 User is offline   greall Icon

• Telecom Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 September 2009 - 02:05 AM

I got a couple of SMS on my Digicel phone from that number I believe and it was an ad for a car dealership.

Greg

#3 User is offline   Skylined Icon

• Post Machine
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Internet ;)

Posted 01 October 2009 - 09:55 AM

I personally think DIGICEL sells the corporate numbers to Telemarketers...

A few months after I signed our corporate contract, most of the numbers on our plan received calls from unknown numbers asking us to take surveys (this happened again and again for a few months), after complaining to our DIGICEL contact and not co-operating with the telemarketers they just stopped.

#4 User is offline   Husk Icon

• Pip

Posted 05 October 2009 - 02:24 PM

ok so i got a call from the same +243 number. First off that is a call from NIGERIA! Check the directory code listing.How the hell they getting ppl numbers here is beyond me. I actually called the number back just to see who it was and some woman answered and was talking very softly and not very clearly. Don't know what to make of it though.

#5 User is offline   Lich King Icon

• Telecom Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 October 2009 - 02:36 PM

View PostHusk, on 05 October 2009 - 02:24 PM, said:

ok so i got a call from the same +243 number. First off that is a call from NIGERIA! Check the directory code listing.How the hell they getting ppl numbers here is beyond me. I actually called the number back just to see who it was and some woman answered and was talking very softly and not very clearly. Don't know what to make of it though.

I got that same call a few months ago, +234 is the number that called me not +243. I using bmobile though, have no idea how they got my number either. What do we have in common? I'm thinking we posted our numbers on some online forum at some time or the other or it's on the web somewhere and spammers got it?

The number that called me was +234 706 473 7027.
At the very the number that called me has "+234 706" in common with the number that called jpf. The phone only rang twice and stopped before I could answer it. I didn't pay any attention to it at the time but I'm glad I saved the number now that I see I wasn't the only one getting called from that strange number.

#6 User is offline   Skylined Icon

• Post Machine
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Internet ;)

Posted 07 October 2009 - 12:57 PM

We getting txt msgs on our digicel corporate phones about winning some lottery from a +234 no.

#7 User is offline   Risk/Network Fraud Icon

• Pip

Posted 28 December 2009 - 05:16 PM

Currently, customers are being randomly called or messaged via SMS from country codes 242,232,239,423,232,234 etc.

The call is terminated by the calling party before the customer answers. The customer returns the call or SMS and is engaged in discussion in order to participate in some type of lottery promotion.

They are then informed that in order to receive their prize they need to pay a service fee and in some cases also provide their account details.

These scams are designed to cheat victims into parting with their money. Generally, the scam requires the victim to make
up-front payments to facilitate the transfer of the promised prize to the victim.

To lend credence to their claims, the fraudsters may provide the victims with login PINs and website addresses,
or phone numbers purportedly belonging to overseas audit or law firms.

These lottery winnings do not exist. They bear the hallmarks of what are
commonly known as ' Lottery Scams' that are designed to dupe victims into parting
with their money. Having deceived the victims into believing that they had won the
lottery, the fraudsters often convince the victims into making up-front payments,
purportedly as tax or other forms of payments to administer the release of the 'prize
money.

The Risk and Network Fraud Section of TSTT wishes to advise customers to be wary, as such scams often take different forms and the fraudsters change tactics regularly.

The public should:

Not reply to such SMS and Calls.

Ignore notifications of a win in a foreign lottery, especially when there is no purchase of gift of a lottery ticket;

In response to such phone calls, we urgently warn you not to disclose any personal data, particularly details of your account and identity.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users