TSTT Forum: Bmobile 3G? - TSTT Forum

Jump to content

  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2

Bmobile 3G?

#16 User is offline   greall Icon

  • Telecom Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,433
  • Joined: 28-July 05
  • Location:Bel Air,La Romain

Posted 20 April 2011 - 07:44 AM

View Postjsm1985, on 19 April 2011 - 10:22 PM, said:

I just saw on page 22 of today's Express, that there is a full page teaser ad, with the words "My" and a red circle. I'm guessing this is a stylised version of "My Hotspot"

The footer reads "4G. Wireless. Personal Hotspot"

Very interesting indeed, and I hope it's not just another data only 4G solution. LTE or HSPA please! *keeps on dreaming*


It's basically MiFi.

Greg
0

#17 User is offline   jsm1985 Icon

  • Board Warrior
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 219
  • Joined: 05-July 06
  • Location:St. Augustine
  • Interests:Nokia, Symbian
    Current Phone: Nokia C7

Posted 20 April 2011 - 12:09 PM

View Postgreall, on 20 April 2011 - 07:44 AM, said:

It's basically MiFi.

Greg



Oh, great... <_<
0

#18 User is offline   greall Icon

  • Telecom Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,433
  • Joined: 28-July 05
  • Location:Bel Air,La Romain

Posted 20 April 2011 - 02:05 PM

View Postjsm1985, on 20 April 2011 - 12:09 PM, said:

Oh, great... <_<


Well...what did you expect?

Take solace with the fact that you could always fall back to 3G if there's no 4G signal in your area.

I've not seen package and prices so your guess is as good as mines.

Greg
0

#19 User is offline   jsm1985 Icon

  • Board Warrior
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 219
  • Joined: 05-July 06
  • Location:St. Augustine
  • Interests:Nokia, Symbian
    Current Phone: Nokia C7

Posted 20 April 2011 - 08:39 PM

I thought you said they skipping 3G and rolling out LTE?
0

#20 User is offline   greall Icon

  • Telecom Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,433
  • Joined: 28-July 05
  • Location:Bel Air,La Romain

Posted 20 April 2011 - 10:46 PM

View Postjsm1985, on 20 April 2011 - 08:39 PM, said:

I thought you said they skipping 3G and rolling out LTE?


Hmmm...they're not going to jump straight to 4G but keep 3G as a fall back which makes sense.

I do hope that they expand the 4G coverage area so that this device can indeed be worth it bearing in mind that there needs to be available bandwidth to allow for the increased use of mobile broadband.

We would not want packet prioritization wherein the network devices decide which packets [voice or data] take precedence in transfer.

Greg
0

#21 User is offline   unimatrix001 Icon

  • Post Machine
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 115
  • Joined: 14-October 06

Posted 20 April 2011 - 11:17 PM

I jess glad i never buy no phone after meh 6230. wen da LTE come out, den i go buy a new phone
0

#22 User is offline   greall Icon

  • Telecom Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,433
  • Joined: 28-July 05
  • Location:Bel Air,La Romain

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:12 AM

View Postunimatrix001, on 20 April 2011 - 11:17 PM, said:

I jess glad i never buy no phone after meh 6230. wen da LTE come out, den i go buy a new phone


I'll buy one when I see that packages and the prices...

Greg
0

#23 User is offline   jsm1985 Icon

  • Board Warrior
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 219
  • Joined: 05-July 06
  • Location:St. Augustine
  • Interests:Nokia, Symbian
    Current Phone: Nokia C7

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:02 AM

View Postunimatrix001, on 20 April 2011 - 11:17 PM, said:

I jess glad i never buy no phone after meh 6230. wen da LTE come out, den i go buy a new phone


Wow. That's rel old school! Does your 6230 work problem free on bmobile? When I had mine, it was right around the time they switched to 850 MHz and it continuously dropped calls because it couldn't handle the pairing of 850/1800 bands.... they swapped it and gave me a 6230i for free B)
0

#24 User is offline   greall Icon

  • Telecom Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,433
  • Joined: 28-July 05
  • Location:Bel Air,La Romain

Posted 22 April 2011 - 10:16 AM

View Postjsm1985, on 21 April 2011 - 10:02 AM, said:

Wow. That's rel old school! Does your 6230 work problem free on bmobile? When I had mine, it was right around the time they switched to 850 MHz and it continuously dropped calls because it couldn't handle the pairing of 850/1800 bands.... they swapped it and gave me a 6230i for free B)


Someone from another forum inquired about the 4G IYP service this morning

Using bmobile online chat today I got these answers to questions I asked:

kbusby1: Pricing for the device is as follows:

kbusby1: 1 Year Contract - $475.00

kbusby1: 2 Year Contract - $349.00

kbusby1: If you don't have a credit card, when purchasing the device, you would need to pay a security deposit of three times the first month's payment.

kbusby1: Up to 2 MB.

kbusby1: Same areas that you are able to pick up usual phone access would be the same areas you pick up Internet access.

kbusby1: If the phone signal in your area is usually weak, then it is advisable to not purchase the device.


This is per mth price. Unlimited. No activation fee.

Greg

0

#25 User is offline   unimatrix001 Icon

  • Post Machine
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 115
  • Joined: 14-October 06

Posted 22 April 2011 - 10:55 AM

View Postjsm1985, on 21 April 2011 - 10:02 AM, said:

Wow. That's rel old school! Does your 6230 work problem free on bmobile? When I had mine, it was right around the time they switched to 850 MHz and it continuously dropped calls because it couldn't handle the pairing of 850/1800 bands.... they swapped it and gave me a 6230i for free B)


i have a 6230 and a 6230i

neither gives problems
0

#26 User is offline   jsm1985 Icon

  • Board Warrior
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 219
  • Joined: 05-July 06
  • Location:St. Augustine
  • Interests:Nokia, Symbian
    Current Phone: Nokia C7

Posted 22 April 2011 - 03:24 PM

View Postgreall, on 22 April 2011 - 10:16 AM, said:

Someone from another forum inquired about the 4G IYP service this morning

Using bmobile online chat today I got these answers to questions I asked:

kbusby1: Pricing for the device is as follows:

kbusby1: 1 Year Contract - $475.00

kbusby1: 2 Year Contract - $349.00

kbusby1: If you don't have a credit card, when purchasing the device, you would need to pay a security deposit of three times the first month's payment.

kbusby1: Up to 2 MB.

kbusby1: Same areas that you are able to pick up usual phone access would be the same areas you pick up Internet access.

kbusby1: If the phone signal in your area is usually weak, then it is advisable to not purchase the device.


This is per mth price. Unlimited. No activation fee.

Greg


May I ask what forum that is? Would love to be part of a local tech related forum that was a little more active
0

#27 User is offline   greall Icon

  • Telecom Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,433
  • Joined: 28-July 05
  • Location:Bel Air,La Romain

Posted 23 April 2011 - 04:30 AM

View Postjsm1985, on 22 April 2011 - 03:24 PM, said:

May I ask what forum that is? Would love to be part of a local tech related forum that was a little more active


It's a general interest forum at http://ttonline.org

Greg
0

#28 User is offline   ninja_billy Icon

  • Forum Jedi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 452
  • Joined: 07-March 07
  • Location:Trinidad

Posted 24 April 2011 - 05:06 PM

LTE would be a bad move which shows how uninformed they are and how irresponsibly they play with tax payer money. LTE is to new and to expensive a technology to implement for such a small customer base as trinidad and tobago, investing in UTMS/HSPA like stated above would be more feasible, especially with its reducing cost to implement and the majority of the customer base having handsets that supporting the standards.
0

#29 User is offline   greall Icon

  • Telecom Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,433
  • Joined: 28-July 05
  • Location:Bel Air,La Romain

Posted 24 April 2011 - 06:49 PM

View Postninja_billy, on 24 April 2011 - 05:06 PM, said:

LTE would be a bad move which shows how uninformed they are and how irresponsibly they play with tax payer money. LTE is to new and to expensive a technology to implement for such a small customer base as trinidad and tobago, investing in UTMS/HSPA like stated above would be more feasible, especially with its reducing cost to implement and the majority of the customer base having handsets that supporting the standards.


Finally someone who has some common sense...

At present,WiMax coverage is spotty throughout the country at best with real underlying issues pertaining to roll out.

I agree that a roll out of 3G would make more sense and be supported by the market...

Not everything that we see on cable would work here...

Greg
0

#30 User is offline   Aluminum Sponge Icon

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3
  • Joined: 21-January 08

Post icon  Posted 27 May 2011 - 12:08 PM

Well now that we have the full roll-out of the new 4G "My Hotspot" service, it looks like TSTT is indeed jumping straight from 2.5G to 4G. This doesn't make any sense, especially since the majority of their customers have 3G phones. In fact, bmobile doesn't even sell a single 4G phone. Their data-only 4G service is useless for the large majority, possibly except a few business users who want high-speed data on the go.

It truly sucks to have a high-end smartphone (such as my new iPhone 4) here in Trinidad, and not have *ANY* 3G/3.5G network to utilize it on. EDGE is frekain mobile dial-up....... :'(
0

  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2


Fast Reply

  

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users