TSTT Forum: Lightning Protection for phone line - TSTT Forum

Page 1 of 1

Lightning Protection for phone line ... cordless base station grilled again

#1 User is offline   admin Icon

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 09 August 2011 - 09:40 AM

For the second time in less than a year my cordless base station for my POTS/Skype phone (with several cordless phones connected) got killed by lightning.
Last time even my TSTT phone got fried.

While the landline and all the phones are still working, the ethernet connection died and I cannot receive/make any Skype calls. It seems that the Connexant controller got fried as the base station does not send any DHCP requests. I can assign a fixed IP, but there is no network connectivity anymore.
Since these Philips VOIP841 phones are not anymore sold it is getting difficult to get a base station replacement. Might get another one via eBay tonight.

I need some form of lightning protection for my two phone lines. Anybody with some hints on what could be used.
I found this MLP-270M MODULAR MAXIMUM LIGHTNING PROTECTION™ (Part Number: KIT4G)

#2 User is offline   Skylined Icon

• Post Machine
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:The Internet ;)

Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:26 PM

View Postadmin, on 09 August 2011 - 09:40 AM, said:

For the second time in less than a year my cordless base station for my POTS/Skype phone (with several cordless phones connected) got killed by lightning.
Last time even my TSTT phone got fried.

While the landline and all the phones are still working, the ethernet connection died and I cannot receive/make any Skype calls. It seems that the Connexant controller got fried as the base station does not send any DHCP requests. I can assign a fixed IP, but there is no network connectivity anymore.
Since these Philips VOIP841 phones are not anymore sold it is getting difficult to get a base station replacement. Might get another one via eBay tonight.

I need some form of lightning protection for my two phone lines. Anybody with some hints on what could be used.
I found this MLP-270M MODULAR MAXIMUM LIGHTNING PROTECTION™ (Part Number: KIT4G)

The device you mentioned is good, but isn't it overkill

Buy a simple APC UPS like the BE550 (or a APC unit that does support Rj11 POTS) and run your tele line thru this then put your DSL filter and what not!
I have always been doing this because I fried a 33.6k modem some years ago...

#3 User is offline   admin Icon

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:33 PM

View PostSkylined, on 23 August 2011 - 12:26 PM, said:

The device you mentioned is good, but isn't it overkill

Buy a simple APC UPS like the BE550 (or a APC unit that does support Rj11 POTS) and run your tele line thru this then put your DSL filter and what not!
I have always been doing this because I fried a 33.6k modem some years ago...

Thanks for the hint. Thought about that too, but buying two UPS units is more expensive than two MLP-270 and I have already a main UPS for my devices.

#4 User is offline   Skylined Icon

• Post Machine
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:The Internet ;)

Posted 06 September 2011 - 01:52 PM

View Postadmin, on 31 August 2011 - 10:33 PM, said:

Thanks for the hint. Thought about that too, but buying two UPS units is more expensive than two MLP-270 and I have already a main UPS for my devices.

To save $$$ you only need one UPS to use RJ11 protection...
wire it up so your main run thru the ups then it does to your devices/extensions (and don't forget to place DSL filters in the correct places)
This is what I did!

PS: the entry level APCs are about $350-$450 TT, if you have a UPS already go for it and buy the KIT4G but I am not sure about the reliability of this product, if you do procure this unit please let me know how it works out for you!

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users