TSTT Forum: Phone line drowned again - TSTT Forum

Page 1 of 1

Phone line drowned again

#1 User is offline   admin Icon

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:39 PM

After fixing my line a few months ago (open distribution panel on the roadside flooded, causing wires to corrode) I got the problem finally back on Friday morning. Line was between dead, crackling noise or working fine depending on the level or rain pouring down.
TSTT acted fast and called me this morning at 8am. Will see soon if it is fixed.

#2 User is offline   greall Icon

• Telecom Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:11 PM

View Postadmin, on 06 August 2012 - 03:39 PM, said:

After fixing my line a few months ago (open distribution panel on the roadside flooded, causing wires to corrode) I got the problem finally back on Friday morning. Line was between dead, crackling noise or working fine depending on the level or rain pouring down.
TSTT acted fast and called me this morning at 8am. Will see soon if it is fixed.

That's the same problem that my mom's experiencing on her phone line...apparently a snail's coming to fix it...

Greg

#3 User is offline   admin Icon

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:43 AM

Well, since my 'drowning' problem remained for the month I called TSTT again last Friday and actually spoke to an agent.
Well, it is/was raining right now and my line is dead again. Couldn't use the Internet on that line for the month.
Fortunately I have a TSTT backup line (with 2nd ADSL) ... but that line is now dead too ... and I am on my cell for the past 10 minutes trying to report the problem ... hearing some distorted music (probably live from the mars rover).
Well, to make things worse ... my 3rd line is crackling and more or less unusable.
That seems to be a first that all TSTT/Blink connections are out of order.
.. at the end I got through reporting my second number with the automated system.
Now I am 100% dependent on Flow Internet ...

#4 User is offline   greall Icon

• Telecom Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:50 PM

View Postadmin, on 23 August 2012 - 05:43 AM, said:

Well, since my 'drowning' problem remained for the month I called TSTT again last Friday and actually spoke to an agent.
Well, it is/was raining right now and my line is dead again. Couldn't use the Internet on that line for the month.
Fortunately I have a TSTT backup line (with 2nd ADSL) ... but that line is now dead too ... and I am on my cell for the past 10 minutes trying to report the problem ... hearing some distorted music (probably live from the mars rover).
Well, to make things worse ... my 3rd line is crackling and more or less unusable.
That seems to be a first that all TSTT/Blink connections are out of order.
.. at the end I got through reporting my second number with the automated system.
Now I am 100% dependent on Flow Internet ...

They came to repair my mom's phone line with the crackling: she needed to be rewired.

However they disconnected my phone line and now I have no dial tone on that line.

I ponder about it and experiment: put the Blink modem on my mom's line and the Internet lives which confuses me: does my mom's line has an ADSL signal by default?

All that she's got on that line is the a Silver Smart Choice package.

Greg

#5 User is offline   admin Icon

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:51 AM

View Postgreall, on 23 August 2012 - 05:50 PM, said:

I ponder about it and experiment: put the Blink modem on my mom's line and the Internet lives which confuses me: does my mom's line has an ADSL signal by default?

Well, the line must be connected to the ADSL circuits somehow. I do not think that all lines are always connected to these circuits.
You were just lucky I guess. I pay for this luxury to have a second line I can use as backup.

As to my story ...

Today a TSTT Lineman showed up and checked my line between my home and the first distribution panel.
He quickly realised that the cable between this (new) distribution cabinet is at fault and therefore it is a matter for the 'cable guys'.

'Fortunately' both of my lines remain completely dead (no dial tone) and therefore it should be easy to locate the problem.
Will see how it continues tomorrow.

Well, despite no dialtone, the ADSL connection is at times actually sort of working.
And today I even get 10 times the speed than yesterday (now: down 320 / up 550 Kbps) with my 4 Mbps package.

Usually they are just looking for another pair of wires to transfer my line and then they hope for the best.
Well this time they would need 3 unused pairs.
But from my understanding the cable is maxed out for the past 5 years.

#6 User is offline   greall Icon

• Telecom Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:37 AM

View Postadmin, on 24 August 2012 - 12:51 AM, said:

Well, the line must be connected to the ADSL circuits somehow. I do not think that all lines are always connected to these circuits.
You were just lucky I guess. I pay for this luxury to have a second line I can use as backup.

As to my story ...

Today a TSTT Lineman showed up and checked my line between my home and the first distribution panel.
He quickly realised that the cable between this (new) distribution cabinet is at fault and therefore it is a matter for the 'cable guys'.

'Fortunately' both of my lines remain completely dead (no dial tone) and therefore it should be easy to locate the problem.
Will see how it continues tomorrow.

Well, despite no dialtone, the ADSL connection is at times actually sort of working.
And today I even get 10 times the speed than yesterday (now: down 320 / up 550 Kbps) with my 4 Mbps package.

Usually they are just looking for another pair of wires to transfer my line and then they hope for the best.
Well this time they would need 3 unused pairs.
But from my understanding the cable is maxed out for the past 5 years.

Bloody hell...

Greg

#7 User is offline   admin Icon

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 August 2012 - 05:07 AM

Friday: The 'Cable Guys' showed up, same guys who installed a new distribution panel on our townhouse compound not so long ago ... using Flow's proper cable installation to tie-wrap their panel to the Flow cable ... instead of using screws or something more stable. Well, same crew who was send to rectify this a year later after the new panel almost fell off ... just hanging on the wires.
Well, these same guys were now trying to find my drowned lines on different panels, starting on a previously drowned junction box on the road. But that box was apparently ok. Now they found another issue further down the road and that requires a 'Bucket Truck' ... which might show up on Saturday, or Sunday or Monday ...
Oops, and then suddenly 30 min later after the cable guys left the 'Lineman' came back checking on me, completely unaware that the cable guys were working on the issue. Nice, he promised a solution for Saturday.
Hope this time it will last longer than just months. But first they have to fix this one now.

#8 User is offline   greall Icon

• Telecom Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 August 2012 - 05:46 AM

View Postadmin, on 25 August 2012 - 05:07 AM, said:

Friday: The 'Cable Guys' showed up, same guys who installed a new distribution panel on our townhouse compound not so long ago ... using Flow's proper cable installation to tie-wrap their panel to the Flow cable ... instead of using screws or something more stable. Well, same crew who was send to rectify this a year later after the new panel almost fell off ... just hanging on the wires.
Well, these same guys were now trying to find my drowned lines on different panels, starting on a previously drowned junction box on the road. But that box was apparently ok. Now they found another issue further down the road and that requires a 'Bucket Truck' ... which might show up on Saturday, or Sunday or Monday ...
Oops, and then suddenly 30 min later after the cable guys left the 'Lineman' came back checking on me, completely unaware that the cable guys were working on the issue. Nice, he promised a solution for Saturday.
Hope this time it will last longer than just months. But first they have to fix this one now.

My mom's 'rewired' line now carries my number and service including Blink so her line remains dead.

Neither she nor I are pleased...

Greg

#9 User is offline   admin Icon

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:57 AM

View Postgreall, on 25 August 2012 - 05:46 AM, said:

My mom's 'rewired' line now carries my number and service including Blink so her line remains dead.

Neither she nor I are pleased...

Greg

Mmh, sounds like somebody was prioritizing and Blink won ;-)

Have to report good news (at least for me) ... my phone rung for the first time in days and it was the technician live from the 'Bucket truck'.
He found that the joint/panel was open and exposed to wind and weather and had deteriorated.
He is fixing this line now and then the next one.
Got Blink Internet for the first in 3 weeks on my main line (4108 kbps / 661 kbps).

#10 User is offline   greall Icon

• Telecom Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:07 PM

View Postadmin, on 25 August 2012 - 08:57 AM, said:

Mmh, sounds like somebody was prioritizing and Blink won ;-)

Have to report good news (at least for me) ... my phone rung for the first time in days and it was the technician live from the 'Bucket truck'.
He found that the joint/panel was open and exposed to wind and weather and had deteriorated.
He is fixing this line now and then the next one.
Got Blink Internet for the first in 3 weeks on my main line (4108 kbps / 661 kbps).

That's good news,man...

Greg

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users