TSTT Forum: New submarine fibre cable - TSTT Forum

Page 1 of 1

New submarine fibre cable

#1 User is offline   Razzzhead Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:40 PM

For a very long time Tobago internet connectivity has been suffering due to the loss of the rented fibre optic cores in one of the T&TEC submarine HV cables that go between Toco and Milford Substation at Crown Point. Since the cable failed, TSTT have switched back to the legacy microwave link which is probably steam driven it's so old. In recent weeks the speed during the day and evening was only a crawl with the worst performance around 6:00pm when if you got more that 200kbs, you were lucky. However there was light at the end of the tunnel when TSTT anounced it was to get it's very own submarine fibre optic cable which was due to be installed during July. Yesterday I was having trouble in that local sites were fine but every ten minutes or so, international sites would be unreachable. This would continue for a few minutes then every thing would be ok again. I called the helpdesk and was told that there was some server work going on in Tobago which may account for the issues. Later there was a minor power dip which resulted in the modem dropping out and rebooting. Following that the internet speed was really sailing. It's still been good all day today. My conclusion is that the new cable must be in operation. Here is the latest speedtest result from my favourite speedtest site at Columbus Networks in Florida:-

Click:Speedtest.jpg
Last Result:
Download Speed: 12138 kbps (1517.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 622 kbps (77.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 90 ms
Monday, 06 August 2012 18:26:14

#2 User is offline   greall Icon

• Telecom Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:09 PM

Nicely...

Greg

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic