TSTT Forum: A Few Questions to Prepare my trip to TnT - TSTT Forum

Page 1 of 1

A Few Questions to Prepare my trip to TnT

#1 User is offline   Whysper Icon

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:07 PM

Hello!

I am a Canadian, planning a lengthy trip to TnT, well more so to Tobago, but that is besides the point lol.

I just have a couple of questions, and thought that this would be the best place to ask them.

My first question I should ask is about the usage of my own handset. I own an unlocked Blackberry. It supports the SIM card and all. My question is will it support the frequency? Or is that even important. It runs on the UMTS 1700mhz. Will I have a problem?

My other questions are about Data plans. Considering that I am coming down on business, I am going to need one. So I need the best possible plan. Either with Bmobile or Digicel.

Now I read with Digicel that that I can get an unlimited data plan for $199.99tt. But it is on a fair usage policy, which I do understand, as we have that here. But it says of 1GB of usage. What happens after that 1GB is used? Does Digicel start billing you for usuage? Or does it (like here) just slow down? What else is included with the data plan? As in talk, text, and calling features such as, call display, call waiting, and voice mail, and so on, and so on. What would the best route to go?

Now with Bmobile, I used them as pay as you go last time I was in the country back in July. And well not even having data on the phone, I found it VERY expensive so I know I will need to go the post paid route this time. But what about there Data plans? I had a hard time finding information about that.

So I guess to sum it all up, I am trying to figure out the best company to do with that will will give me a good about of talk, text and my unlimited data, at the best possible rate. I would love to get this all figured out before I fly out, so I am not fighting to find a solution to this when I land. I just want to be able to go to whatever company, know what I want, and be on my way.

Thank you so very much in advance for your time.

#2 User is offline   ninja_billy Icon

• Forum Jedi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:22 PM

You will be better helped by some one who lives in tobago, as they would be able to tell you which network has the better coverage on the sister isle.

From what you explained I would go with digicel as they allow 3 major features which meet your requirements.
(1) They don't have unlimited 4g but unlimited 2g. I say this because once you use up your monthly 4g allowance you will be stuck on edge unless you buy aanother 1gig for $25TT(might have changed, check digicel website).
(2) I mentioned it above, where you can buy more bandwidth within your current billing cycle.
(3) they provide a lot more voice and text minutes than the competition, with their smart plans(check digicel site for more info).

To be honest I would go with digicel as their 4g plans provision more 4g data/voice/text and maybe more accessible and suitable for a foreigner.
Going post paid maybe slightly difficult as they sometimes require utility bills and a job letter, requirements vary from carrier to carrier. You may end up paying an ETF depending on the length of your stay, this is postpaid plans come with a two year contract with both carriers.

To close, wait till you get some more suggestions before you make a decision.

#3 User is offline   screeler Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:18 AM

View PostWhysper, on 22 November 2012 - 01:07 PM, said:

Hello!

I am a Canadian, planning a lengthy trip to TnT, well more so to Tobago, but that is besides the point lol.

I just have a couple of questions, and thought that this would be the best place to ask them.

My first question I should ask is about the usage of my own handset. I own an unlocked Blackberry. It supports the SIM card and all. My question is will it support the frequency? Or is that even important. It runs on the UMTS 1700mhz. Will I have a problem?

My other questions are about Data plans. Considering that I am coming down on business, I am going to need one. So I need the best possible plan. Either with Bmobile or Digicel.

Now I read with Digicel that that I can get an unlimited data plan for $199.99tt. But it is on a fair usage policy, which I do understand, as we have that here. But it says of 1GB of usage. What happens after that 1GB is used? Does Digicel start billing you for usuage? Or does it (like here) just slow down? What else is included with the data plan? As in talk, text, and calling features such as, call display, call waiting, and voice mail, and so on, and so on. What would the best route to go?

Now with Bmobile, I used them as pay as you go last time I was in the country back in July. And well not even having data on the phone, I found it VERY expensive so I know I will need to go the post paid route this time. But what about there Data plans? I had a hard time finding information about that.

So I guess to sum it all up, I am trying to figure out the best company to do with that will will give me a good about of talk, text and my unlimited data, at the best possible rate. I would love to get this all figured out before I fly out, so I am not fighting to find a solution to this when I land. I just want to be able to go to whatever company, know what I want, and be on my way.

Thank you so very much in advance for your time.

hi, i'm a canadian as well, kind of doing the snowbird thing although i'm too young for it..lol...
the unltd plan is apparently unavailable now for digicel data plan. i would think you would still pay extra after going over the 2 gb on the post paid 750 plan..i can't be sure though. with bmobile blackberry data plan it's :
1GB $129
2GB $149
10GB $249
here's the link for that page, there's more info. http://www.bmobile.c...ackberry-plans/

i don't use data for my communication, i have internet in trinidad. you know whatyou could do though. if where you're staying has a modem, you could attache a magic jack. then you can call canada and the u.s. for free. i have one here, but it won't work with my modem as i don't have fixed line services yet and it's a truly wireless modem needing no fixed line. just a thought though.

as for your stay in trinidad and/or tobago, please be careful and don't wear alot of jewellery out. there are some wicked people here and will think nothing of stealing anything you have that looks expensive. if you travel by taxis, make sure the driver is reputable, and ask whomever you're staying with to help you locate them. try not to travel alone either. try not to go alone into a bar or a night club as well. please make sure that you look at people because if anything happens like a robbery or mugging or something occurs (hopefully not though. mind you my first time living here in 2005 we were stopped by bandits and robbed, nothing serious happened though, so that's good. lol never had a problem since and i used to go in the middle of the night to clubs on my own, i'm a female, and apparently i took real chances with my life doing that! but i'm canadian and i'm not afraid i guess.lol.) you want to make sure you remember the people around you though.. this is xmas time and the criminals will be marking not only tourists but the locals as well.
do have a lot of fun though, it's kind of a scarey country if you look at the crime rate and things, but the people generally are awesome. you might have noticed too that people might say good morning/night when they pass you, just say the same back. we canadians aren't used to that, but hey, when in rome... :)
also, report to the canadian embassy and tell them where you're staying, etc. that's what i'm supposed to do, but i never have, but maybe one day i will. :)
have a great stay though!i'm living here for most of the year and then i go back after 6 months and then i come back a month later to do it all over again, trinidad is awesome and i hear tobago is too.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users