TSTT Forum: SMARTRG ROUTER SETTINGS - TSTT Forum

Page 1 of 1

SMARTRG ROUTER SETTINGS TWEAKING ROUTER SETTINGS

#1 User is offline   screeler Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 April 2015 - 10:23 AM

I have a 'new' Smartrg 360N router (got this after literally over a month of connection issues, seeing several techs and having 2 comtrend modem changes, and umpteen calls to customer service resulting in my blood pressure going up and getting hung up on once due to my 'colorful' language after being lied to and treated like i was crazy). My speed issues were supposed to be fixed and truth be told, my speed test shows the proper dl speed but not always the proper upl speed. I decided to put in Windows 8 o/s into my laptop because of a Macafee item that refused to leave my Windows 7 o/s. I figured that would clear up the whole speed/buffering issue since TSTT did all they could physically to ensure that my connection didn't drop etc. They even fixed a broken clip in the cabinet and there was no faults on my 2 year old line from cabinet to home. Still having issues.

I've decided to tweak my router settings. I do get some results when i change things, or disable some features, but not for long. I can't call an agent for help with that because they aren't trained in that area. What I'm wondering is, has anyone tweaked their wireless settings to increase their speed and reduce buffering, and if so, what settings do you have it on? I tried to reset modem to default to start over this morning, but the settings are still the same from when I last changed them.

If anyone has any ideas on increasing speed, please let me know, I'd really appreciate it because I'm seriously considering going over to Green Dot who lets you buy your own modem at least! (TSTT does not allow you to have a customer owned modem from what I was told..although I have had TSTT lie to me before)

#2 User is offline   screeler Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 April 2015 - 10:45 AM

Well, Green Dot just called me and told me that they do not have internet in Caparo..even though we used to have their cable Tv service here. There's always Digicel..who may or may not have their new service working in our area.. if we can't get anyone but TSTT then I'll be tweaking my modem for a LONG time until I'm happy with it. lol.

#3 User is offline   greall Icon

• Telecom Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 April 2015 - 07:39 AM

If you can get TSTT's 4G service there then you can try to get TSTT's 4G landline and Internet service combo.

I've changed more than 8 modems in the past three years for the same reason: something's wrong with the circuit to the exchange.

Greg

#4 User is offline   screeler Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 April 2015 - 02:56 PM

View Postgreall, on 19 April 2015 - 07:39 AM, said:

If you can get TSTT's 4G service there then you can try to get TSTT's 4G landline and Internet service combo.

I've changed more than 8 modems in the past three years for the same reason: something's wrong with the circuit to the exchange.

Greg

Hi Greg,
So, I don't need a new hard drive on my laptop like i was thinking I'd need AND my service is PERFECT. How? Because yesterday I tweaked the gateway (again) in the wireless advanced settings. I am happy now. I have 4GB speed for 191 TTD and my phone service on top of that. The only thing I don't like is TSTT doesn't allow you to purchase your own modem..you can purchase your own router though. So anyway, If you want to tweak your settings i noticed that keeping wifi multimedia enabled and disabling wmm no acknowledgment and apsd PLUS having obss coexistence disabled as well as 802.11 n protection disabled did the trick for my gateway.
Something very well could be wrong at the exchange, but you have to get an exchange person to actually check it and if possible come to your house like I did. Something could be wrong in the cabinet like a broken clip like I had. Also could be an old laptop or pc or it's parts, could be a virus.. I thought I was going crazy when they kept telling me my speed is great..that was the download speed..and my upload speed always timed out. Sure, I don't upload really, but they kind of go hand in hand yaknow? So now I have proper upload speed AND download speed no fail. Oh ya, and the security, they had me put it on mixed WPA2/WPA-PSK and I changed that as well last week to WPA2-PSK and I use TKIP+AES. That made a slight difference, but yesterday the last configuration I tried worked like a charm. I can watch HD Netflix movies no buffering, you tube doesn't buffer. Oh and the customer complaints manager and all the reps told me I couldn't have more than a couple or a few tabs on the go and I have at this moment 9 tabs on google chrome and no freezing or lag. :D

#5 User is offline   dr.tt Icon

• Post Machine
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 April 2015 - 07:46 PM

Hi Screeler,

You are free to purchase your own ADSL modem/router if you desire, however you would need to know how to configure it. And because it is not a TSTT supported device, you cannot call their Helpdesk for assistance or troubleshooting.
Most of the ADSL modems/routers are similar in GUI or ADSL settings so you should be able to match the ADSL settings in TSTT's modem with your own ADSL modem.

Hope that helped.
DR.TT

View Postscreeler, on 20 April 2015 - 02:56 PM, said:

Hi Greg,
So, I don't need a new hard drive on my laptop like i was thinking I'd need AND my service is PERFECT. How? Because yesterday I tweaked the gateway (again) in the wireless advanced settings. I am happy now. I have 4GB speed for 191 TTD and my phone service on top of that. The only thing I don't like is TSTT doesn't allow you to purchase your own modem..you can purchase your own router though. So anyway, If you want to tweak your settings i noticed that keeping wifi multimedia enabled and disabling wmm no acknowledgment and apsd PLUS having obss coexistence disabled as well as 802.11 n protection disabled did the trick for my gateway.
Something very well could be wrong at the exchange, but you have to get an exchange person to actually check it and if possible come to your house like I did. Something could be wrong in the cabinet like a broken clip like I had. Also could be an old laptop or pc or it's parts, could be a virus.. I thought I was going crazy when they kept telling me my speed is great..that was the download speed..and my upload speed always timed out. Sure, I don't upload really, but they kind of go hand in hand yaknow? So now I have proper upload speed AND download speed no fail. Oh ya, and the security, they had me put it on mixed WPA2/WPA-PSK and I changed that as well last week to WPA2-PSK and I use TKIP+AES. That made a slight difference, but yesterday the last configuration I tried worked like a charm. I can watch HD Netflix movies no buffering, you tube doesn't buffer. Oh and the customer complaints manager and all the reps told me I couldn't have more than a couple or a few tabs on the go and I have at this moment 9 tabs on google chrome and no freezing or lag. :D

#6 User is offline   screeler Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 April 2015 - 08:09 AM

View Postdr.tt, on 20 April 2015 - 07:46 PM, said:

Hi Screeler,

You are free to purchase your own ADSL modem/router if you desire, however you would need to know how to configure it. And because it is not a TSTT supported device, you cannot call their Helpdesk for assistance or troubleshooting.
Most of the ADSL modems/routers are similar in GUI or ADSL settings so you should be able to match the ADSL settings in TSTT's modem with your own ADSL modem.

Hope that helped.
DR.TT

Hi Dr. TT,
I spent over a half hour trying to get info out of an agent (literally a half hour or a bit longer lol) about if I could buy my own gateway modem and I finally said let me speak to the supervisor. The agent told me that the supervisor didn't know any more than he did..and I told him then TSTT is doomed... LOL. Got on the phone with the supervisor and I asked about the gateway to which he said you can't buy the gateway.. the gateway is the gateway to the internet and there is no price on that. OMG. I thought to myself, no. No he DOESN'T know any more than the agent did, in fact the supervisor was operating on a COMPLETELY different level than normal people. lol. Long story short he told me I couldn't buy my own modem that TSTT doesn't accomodate that but I could buy my own router. I finally got out of that convo after another half hour that I totally never can get back in my life..sigh..
I was a billing, retention and troubleshooting CSR in Canada so I know that the ISP doesn't troubleshoot customer owned modems..I'm good with that. I can configure the hell out of any piece of equipment I get for my service! :ph34r: Might take some time but I can do it.
So now you say that you CAN use your own modem for TSTT and this is something that I've been told you CANNOT do. Have you purchased your own modem to use with their service? If so, what brand did you get because that might help me out in future. Right now, the gateway they provided is working well after my tweaking.

#7 User is offline   dr.tt Icon

• Post Machine
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 April 2015 - 10:33 PM

I used a Zoom ADSL modem/router a few years ago and I think The Wizz Computers sells TP-Link ADSL modem/routers.
I have also tried a Cisco 800A ADSL modem as well. Like I said, once you know the ADSL/ATM settings, you can make most of them work.

DR.TT

View Postscreeler, on 21 April 2015 - 08:09 AM, said:

Hi Dr. TT,
I spent over a half hour trying to get info out of an agent (literally a half hour or a bit longer lol) about if I could buy my own gateway modem and I finally said let me speak to the supervisor. The agent told me that the supervisor didn't know any more than he did..and I told him then TSTT is doomed... LOL. Got on the phone with the supervisor and I asked about the gateway to which he said you can't buy the gateway.. the gateway is the gateway to the internet and there is no price on that. OMG. I thought to myself, no. No he DOESN'T know any more than the agent did, in fact the supervisor was operating on a COMPLETELY different level than normal people. lol. Long story short he told me I couldn't buy my own modem that TSTT doesn't accomodate that but I could buy my own router. I finally got out of that convo after another half hour that I totally never can get back in my life..sigh..
I was a billing, retention and troubleshooting CSR in Canada so I know that the ISP doesn't troubleshoot customer owned modems..I'm good with that. I can configure the hell out of any piece of equipment I get for my service! :ph34r: Might take some time but I can do it.
So now you say that you CAN use your own modem for TSTT and this is something that I've been told you CANNOT do. Have you purchased your own modem to use with their service? If so, what brand did you get because that might help me out in future. Right now, the gateway they provided is working well after my tweaking.

#8 User is offline   screeler Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 April 2015 - 04:15 PM

Dr TT I can't believe they told me I could not buy my own modem and here you are telling me you bought your own. How they can outright lie to me shows what kind of people TSTT hires and what kind of training they give to their employees. I guess I will be making a formal complaint to the telecommunications authority after all. The manager in customer complaints also told me that I could only get 2mg wimax at my home and we have friends in our village who have 5mg. I was thinking of switching to wimax thorough the month plus that i had issues with our service but since I fixed what TSTT couldn't or wouldn't, we are keeping the broadband. Good thing I have worked in the field so they can't make me feel bad like they do other people and give me the run around. Thanks for your input!!!!

#9 User is offline   screeler Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 April 2015 - 09:38 AM

you know, as i was watching my wwe ppv i was reminded of how last month i could not watch it, what with the internet behaving so poorly and TSTT was basically saying i was crazy... i know that TSTT finally fixed the clip in my cabinet..awesome, they gave me a different modem (2 or 3 actually, but the smart rg stuck with me here) but i can't BELIEVE how poorly i was treated by customer complaints when i still was having problems. guy there basically insinuated i was crazy that my speed was great and everything looked great on their end. guy there told me i couldn't mess around with my router settings because they are exactly where they need to be. and yet.. i could not watch my wwe ppv or ANY type of video without it having extreme buffering IF it came up at all. even some of the agents tried to make me feel bad for calling in. that's not right. if it weren't for me investigating all the advanced settings in my router and changing the password security on my own, i NEVER would have been able to view the ppv at ALL. now that might seem like a small thing to most people, i mean, after all i had internet still for email and facebook and googling right? well that's not enough for me. especially when i upgraded to 4mg and still didn't have the speed physically on my laptop... oh and can't forget to mention i upgraded to windows 8 (which i hate), was researching new laptops (which i can't afford right now), just in desperation to get the same great (yes it was always great until a modem died or the latest situation happened) service i always had. and if i call in now and ask if i can change my advanced wireless settings, i can BET the agent will tell me i don't have to do that or i can't do that..why? because they aren't trained properly on what the modem does and what the settings mean. so luckily when i'm not a satisfied customer i DO something about it when the company refuses to. and now i'm getting ready to fill in the formal complaint to the authority and we'll see how that works out. i found the form online and i'm happy to be using it even though my service is great now.. it's because i am totally pissed off with the treatment i received at the hands of some agents and customer complaints. i will not be treated like some crazy woman when i pay good money to have a service. so if anyone reading this works for TSTT let me know what you think of this.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users