TSTT Forum: Location tracking possible? - TSTT Forum

Page 1 of 1

Location tracking possible?

#1 User is offline   jpf Icon

• Board Warrior
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Post icon  Posted 04 January 2006 - 12:50 PM

In March last year I was robbed of my phone outside West Mall. I reported it to TSTT and they disconnected it. Two months ago I went in to pay a bill in tstt mobile services at the same mall, & decided to ask them if it was possible to actually trace the location of a cell phone. The lady told me yes, but since my phone was already disconnected, it wouldnt be possible. anyone else knows about this? and how is it done? use GPS technology?

Also anyone knows if it is it possible to trace a GSM phone if another sim card was put in it?
using some emi no. or something?

#2 User is offline   Horatio Icon

• Pip

Posted 03 September 2008 - 07:46 PM

View Postjpf, on Jan 4 2006, 12:50 PM, said:

In March last year I was robbed of my phone outside West Mall. I reported it to TSTT and they disconnected it. Two months ago I went in to pay a bill in tstt mobile services at the same mall, & decided to ask them if it was possible to actually trace the location of a cell phone. The lady told me yes, but since my phone was already disconnected, it wouldnt be possible. anyone else knows about this? and how is it done? use GPS technology?

Also anyone knows if it is it possible to trace a GSM phone if another sim card was put in it?
using some emi no. or something?

Actually, yeah, there is a company that would allow you to track your cell phone and give you its location via GPS... check out www.cheramiltd.com but i think it would be only some types of phones they can track.
As for the second part of your question... The emi no. is the same... that wouldn't change... So if you know that no. it would be possile of course to deactivate the phone... but to track it... hmm nahhh... don't think so... cause it would have to use the existing sim to transmit its location.

#3 User is offline   jpf Icon

• Board Warrior
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 December 2008 - 04:30 AM

I got a blackberry 8120 with a digicel corporate plan from work.. it has a GPS feature (listed in Options-advanced-GPS)
when I select GPS there is 2 fields:-

GPS Data Source None
GPS Data Services Location ON

Does this mean I have GPS built in or not? My uncle got another blackberry (a "fattish" one) that had the similar fields, but in addition it had fields for latitude & longnitude co-ordinates- im wondering if it is his own has a built-in GPS & mine doesn't & needs something else to connect to it

Anyway, i downloaded Google Maps for mobile which can work with or without GPS (according to google) and it actually shows my location, although only approximate. It has a blue dot in the middle and a bigger circle showing the possible range im in (from 1300-2700m)- pretty cool. Perhaps GPS might pin point my location to within a few feet but what I wanted to know is if anyone ever tried or know about an app that can take this data and perhaps send it to a website or email address- so that if my phone was lost or stolen i could like log on and see its location

if their is a mobile program for that can work for blackberries i'd like to know what it is- they (the phone) might be relatively small but they cost $3000 and up so to lose it would be really costly

whether its something i can dload or if its an app i can get from a local gps provider (like cherami ltd.) as long as the location data can be accessed via the net and could work with, or without gps (just like the Google Maps app) that would be fine

#4 User is offline   Cool3ni Icon

• Forum Jedi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Computers,music,mobiles an anything to do with technology

Posted 09 January 2009 - 09:15 AM

View Postjpf, on Dec 27 2008, 04:30 AM, said:

Perhaps GPS might pin point my location to within a few feet but what I wanted to know is if anyone ever tried or know about an app that can take this data and perhaps send it to a website or email address- so that if my phone was lost or stolen i could like log on and see its location

if their is a mobile program for that can work for blackberries i'd like to know what it is- they (the phone) might be relatively small but they cost $3000 and up so to lose it would be really costly

whether its something i can dload or if its an app i can get from a local gps provider (like cherami ltd.) as long as the location data can be accessed via the net and could work with, or without gps (just like the Google Maps app) that would be fine

Maybe you could try gpsed,its a java app,I have it but I haven't tested it,but when i skimmed through it there seemed to be options to upload your location to the net.I don't have blackberry though,but it should work since its java,but like I said I still have to test it out as well on my phone.The website for the app is http://gpsed.com/

#5 User is offline   sweetsam Icon

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:59 PM

Google Latitude is the latest initiative from the internet search giant and is a new feature of the Google Maps application for use on your mobile device to track the whereabouts of friends, family and even enemies

http://www.theinquir...spy-application

http://www.google.co...tude/intro.html

Trinidad not listed

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users