• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

why is dialup so slow during night??

#16 User is offline   kemraj Icon

• Moto Modder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Developing and administrating of websites.
    www.TriniMotors.com

Post icon  Posted 07 July 2006 - 11:02 PM

jevolution, on Jul 7 2006, 01:03 AM, said:

kemraj, on Jul 5 2006, 11:57 PM, said:

:rolleyes:  :D Well i does be on the net all day and night and i really don't exprience any slow net, the only thing is that when some one calls the line it disconnects. Well why don't u all use some internet optimizers i helps and increase your download and uploads even faster. Well it makes my net speed reach at 57.6 no lie every day.

lol I connect at 115.2 Kbps and i'm on dial up but that amounts to no speed. I partially agree with shaneelal, cos connecting at 115.2 doesnt do a thing because the service tstt is givin isn't that fast and well also cos i have i dial up modem which is not meant for 115.2 spds but i dont even get the speeds i'm supposed to be getting.
Also internet optimizers do help to an extend as i hav fiddled with quite a few of them a few years back and i did notice an effect however i must admit that there has been a noticeable drop in a quality of tstt's dial up service in some areas.

:D dude u connect at 115.2 because u changed your setting in the internet properties to the 115.2 insterd of 56.7 so duh u may connect at that speed but u will not gain anything :lol:

#17 User is offline   jevolution Icon

• Forum Jedi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 July 2006 - 11:53 PM

lol im not that dumb, i didn't change that setting, and i've double checked it. However, i still connect at the 115.2 anyway i wasnt boasting about speed or anything, as the speed is still the same as it has always been. I didn't expect any speed boost with this higher connection speed or anythin i jus made a reference to it (which i guess was misleading) to enhance my point that my dail up speeds have become noticeably slower on some nights especially.
Most dail up modems can only receive around 5.5kb/s anyway.

#18 User is offline   shaneelal Icon

• Board Warrior
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 July 2006 - 06:59 AM

I use DU meter which shows my dl and ul speed in realtime. It sometimes spikes upto 28kbps when I'm surfing. Usually it's between 5.2 and 6.2kbps constantly when I'm downloading. However there was one Sunday afternoon,I was able to get between 16-24kbps constantly,I mean it didn't go below 16kbps atall. I was using a torrent program-ABC and also the torrent I was downloading had many many peers. I was amazed,too bad I had to d/c to use the phone and never got constant speeds like that. Most I get again is a constant speed around 8kbps,which is very rare. I used to go UWI and we had 2 T1 connections to our lab,I used to download at speeds like 800kbps,sometimes close to 1MBps. There were tricks we used to bypass the firewall restriction of filesize and filetype we could download. When your exposed to those kinds of speeds it's hard to go back.Hoping I could get those kinds of speeds again in my home in the near future.

#19 User is offline   kemraj Icon

• Moto Modder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    www.TriniMotors.com

Posted 13 July 2006 - 06:19 PM

i and a lot of people are noticing that the net is disconected for no reason on dial up that sucks

#20 User is offline   greall Icon

• Telecom Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 July 2006 - 06:48 AM

I've found that Internet traffic flows in reverse to road traffic:schools are closed thus we have more kids at home and we now have more subscribers all fighting to use the same dial-up infrastructure.

Greg

#21 User is offline   Lich King Icon

• Telecom Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 07 October 2006 - 09:30 PM

FLOW won't save anybody from TSTT, don't be fooled. look at your current cable service, you cant possibly expect a jokey company like columbus to have a quality communications network. their global bandwidth is probably so #.
the other thing is that 115.2k means the modem chipset is cheap and incapable of reporting the true client speed. if you see 115.2k that basically means the speed of your modem chipset to your computer, not the speed you are connected at. there are many foolish people who would boast a 115.2k dial up connection when really it most likely amounts to 14.4k or 33.6k unknowing to the user.

dude u connect at 115.2 because u changed your setting in the internet properties to the 115.2 insterd of 56.7 so duh u may connect at that speed but u will not gain anything

it is recommended that the setting be 115.2. it should never be lowered. most of you probably have controllerless modems (winmodems), which are cheap and reports speeds incorrectly but thats not a reason to want a controller based modem. many websites like usrobotics will try to sell you a controller based modem for like $80US but the performance increase in reality is like 1% if so much. do not be fooled into buying these things unless you are dying to get on dialup from unix, and cant possibly compile drivers for your winmodem.

the next thing is to ensure you turn OFF all V.92 features. TSTT does not, and never will support any V.92 features so those things are just wishfull thinking. leaving them on will degrade your performance on certain drivers.

TSTT is doing what they have always been doing, scamming people of their money, thats the only way they could survive. they usually take on much more customers than their networks can handle so in reality they always have extra money. its like say u have a plane that always sells 150 tickets but only has space for 100, then you have the money of 50 passengers and you are yet to serve them. in that continuous process you always have future money in the present thus you have scammed people.

TSTT cannot survive honestly, thats why they also charge us double vat on our mobile credits.

I used to be on the chaguanas exchange when i had dialup and the net was basically unusable during the night. TSTT dial up networks are dedicated to dropping packets at random to ensure they waste your time. I too used to be refreshing a page 30 times in 5 mins to get it to load, lets not even mention hotmail cuz that never loaded. if you call them and ask them why it slow they would tell you to buy dsl. so that is also incentive for them to never upgrade dialup.

I recently took greendot, which i paid like 3335TT for an entire year of 128k/64k unlimited fixed wireless. that cost includes installation so the 2nd year will be like 2500TT for the entire year. the service is great but note that no wireless service is good for online gaming. so if your a warcraft or similar gamer then wireless is not for you, the latency time will cause you to lag. such is inherent to any wireless service.

#22 User is offline   greall Icon

• Telecom Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 October 2006 - 03:15 AM

Interesting tips,man...

Greg

#23 User is offline   Trini.tk Icon

• Forum Jedi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 October 2006 - 02:36 AM

Lich King, on Oct 7 2006, 09:30 PM, said:

TSTT is doing what they have always been doing, scamming people of their money, thats the only way they could survive. they usually take on much more customers than their networks can handle so in reality they always have extra money. its like say u have a plane that always sells 150 tickets but only has space for 100, then you have the money of 50 passengers and you are yet to serve them. in that continuous process you always have future money in the present thus you have scammed people.

I used to be on the chaguanas exchange when i had dialup and the net was basically unusable during the night. TSTT dial up networks are dedicated to dropping packets at random to ensure they waste your time. I too used to be refreshing a page 30 times in 5 mins to get it to load, lets not even mention hotmail cuz that never loaded. if you call them and ask them why it slow they would tell you to buy dsl. so that is also incentive for them to never upgrade dialup.

What you said there about TSTT scamming people of their money makes total sense dude.
Do these people at TSTT have a conscience at all?

#24 User is offline   Vishal Icon

• Board Warrior
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 October 2006 - 12:20 PM

Hey u all... ever heard bout over clocking ur processor? well 4 who dont know, its ah way to 'over run' ur processor(make it run faster dan its make to do) but its not safe to do and i dont advise it cuz ur processor WILL damage faster and processors are the most expensive hardware it ur computer.
Anywayz back to my point, there iz a way to over clock ur modem so dat it runs at MAXIMUN speed. its true dat ur modem's life span can be less by doin dis, but dial-up modems cost bout $50-$60 dollars and iz easily replaced(Ive NEVER known any modem to spoil from diz).
Ive over clocked alot of modems and dey connected at 115.2kbps. dont get to happy, diz speed iznt actually real....u see the normal modem can only accept 56.6kbps so the speed alwayz stay below 56.6kbps, but when u over clock u get bursts of speed larger dan 56.6kbps, so ur actual internet speed iz ah little more.
to over clock the modem ull hav to go to the control panel-printers and other hardware-phone and modem options-modems......select ur modem from the list(if u hav more dan one)and click properties and go to advanced and in the "extra initialization commands" box ull hav to type the command for ur modem.
ull find these command on the internet, juz do an search(google) and make sure u search for ur model and brand of modem......however there iz an universal initialization command dat work for many modems(but not all) it iz "ATX"(without quotes)... juz capital ATX no space, nothing. alot of modems work with this... try it an let me know how it works.....if u dont like it u can juz remove the initialization command... :ph34r:

#25 User is offline   kemraj Icon

• Moto Modder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    www.TriniMotors.com

Posted 16 October 2006 - 02:27 PM

LOl i have over clocked my modem all the time but that caused my modem to malfuction(spoil). I have to replace my modem two times within six months. but anyways i still do it

#26 User is offline   Lich King Icon

• Telecom Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 October 2006 - 08:19 PM

i wish i could try that out cuz i like to overclock things but unfortunately my modem is a us robotics hardware controller modem and it costs me > $80US so I am not willing to try that out. i do have some old pctel cheap sh1t modems i should give them a try when i get a chance, lol.

i got this info from a website, perhaps somebody can try it out, i looked but i dont have the reg key for some reason.

http://www.everythin...?node_id=888560

Also pay particular attention to this part:
In other words, "overclocking your modem" is something you cannot easily do without modifying the electronics of your modem. Anyone who tells you otherwise should never again be trusted for computer advice.

#27 User is offline   Vishal Icon

• Board Warrior
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 October 2006 - 10:43 PM

hey Lich King ur wrong about wat u say bout the electronic parts....dats not "over clocking" dats modify.....maybe it iz a type of over clocking but it iz possible to over clock juz by usin settings.....over clockin means dat ur usin the same hardware without modifin and pushing it to the limit....by adding the commands dats wat ur doin....commanding it to run at the fastest speed possible....

anywayz....u say ur using ah us robotics...well then there iz no need to over clock....us robotics r made for the purpose of runnin at the maximun speed...u probly cud over clock..... but there iz no need... :ph34r:

#28 User is offline   kemraj Icon

• Moto Modder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    www.TriniMotors.com

Posted 17 October 2006 - 08:54 AM

I use mostly programs and a few boosters to overclock my modem it works but for me it reduces it life lol

#29 User is offline   Vishal Icon

• Board Warrior
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 October 2006 - 12:41 PM

Hey kemraj good to know u use the same method as me....wat type of modem do u use? wat iz the name?....i hav ah Conexant D850 56K V.9x DFCv Modem....i tried alot of time to over clock it but i waz never successful....ive tries lots of ini strings but non ever worked.....wats the string dat use?... :ph34r:

#30 User is offline   zeratul Icon

• PipPip

Posted 17 October 2006 - 01:23 PM

just wondering how much does the overclocking increase your download speed to. without overclocking i normally get like 4-5k download speed.

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users