• +

6211-I2-200 Setup.

#1 User is offline   Lich King Icon

• Telecom Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 15 April 2007 - 10:41 PM

Setup for Paradyne/Zhone ADSL2+ CPE 6211-I2/I3-xxx for TSTT Blink Service:

1. Power up ADSL router and connect directly to computer via LAN interface.
2. Open http://192.168.1.1 (Zhone web interface).
3. In Quick Setup leave "DSL Auto-Connect" Enabled.
4. Select "Advanced Setup->WAN", remove all connections then click Add.
5. Set VPI to 0 (default).
6. Set VCI to 35 (default).
6.1. If you see an option "VLAN Mux - Enable Multiple Protocols Over a Single PVC", leave it disabled.
7. Service Category: Default is "UBR Witout PCR" however you can change it. More about this I will put below.
8. Do not enable QoS unless you plan to use it because it uses router CPU resources.
9. Click Next.

10. Use either (a) or (e) below but I recommend PPPoA if it works in your area.
10.(a). Select "PPP over ATM (PPPoA)" and any Encapsulation Mode. I prefer VC/MUX.
10.(e). Select "PPP over Ethernet (PPPoE)" and "LLC/SNAP-BRIDGING" Encapsulation Mode.
11. Click Next.

12. Enter your PPP Username and Password.
13. Set Authentication Method to "PAP" but "AUTO" works as well.
14. I recommend that ONLY "Keep Alive" be enabled.
14.1. If you used PPPoE from step 10 then you should see "Bridge PPPoE Frames Between WAN and Local Ports", leave it enabled.
14.2. For PPPoE, maximum MTU size is 1492. For PPPoA, maximum MTU size is 1500. *see notes below.
15. Click Next.

16. Enable NAT, Enable IGMP Multicast, and WAN Service.
17. If you see an option for Full Cone NAT you can leave it disabled as you most likely do not need it.
18. If you see an option for "Public IP of NAT", leave it set to "Interface IP Address".
19. I recommend enabling the firewall but that is your choice.
20. You will need to port forward once you use a NAT configuration even if you don't enable the firewall.
21. Service name is automatically set.
22. Click Next.

23. Check your WAN setup summary and click Save.
24. You should now see your new entry. Click Finish to reboot the router.

CPE in Bridged Mode:

2. Open http://192.168.1.1 (Zhone web interface).
3. In Quick Setup leave "DSL Auto-Connect" Enabled.
4. Select "Advanced Setup->WAN", remove all connections then click Add.
5. Set VPI to 0 (default).
6. Set VCI to 35 (default).
6.1. If you see an option "VLAN Mux - Enable Multiple Protocols Over a Single PVC", leave it disabled.
7. Service Category: Default is "UBR Witout PCR" however you can change it. More about this I will put below.
8. Do not enable QoS unless you plan to use it because it uses router CPU resources.
9. Click Next.

10. Select "Bridging" and "LLC/SNAP-BRIDGING" Encapsulation Mode.
11. Click Next.

12. Enable WAN Service.
13. Service name is automatically set.
14. Click Next.

15. Check your WAN setup summary and click Save.
16. You should now see your new entry. Click Finish to reboot the router.

NOTES:

About Service Category: UBR without PCR is default and works. CBR and Real Time VBR are the highest priority ensures packets reach their destination. It automatically uses QoS so that option will no longer be visible if certain service categories are used. If you use one with PCR (peak cell rate) then you have to specify this number, I would to use the maximum allowed value. You may also see Sustainable Cell Rate and Max Burst. This is complicated so stick to UBR without PCR, unless you think you need something else. Like CBR is best for VoIP calls and Real Time VBR is best for streaming video..

About Encapsulation Mode: try both and see which works better for you. In theory VC/MUX is better than LLC because VC multiplexing tends to reduce fragmentation overhead. TSTT supports both it seems because they both work. I have no idea how to benchmark each to tell you which is better with TSTT.

PPP IP: You want to enable this if you have a 2nd router which you want to handle all the NAT functions. This option basically turns off the routing functions of the modem and forwards the public ip straight to your 2nd router's wan port. Your 2nd router should be set to auto assign IP/DNS (WAN interface acting as DHCP client). If you do this and you can enter the configuration pages for both modem and router but you cannot get on internet then your router is probably stupid like mine. Set the 2nd router to static IP, leave the public IP and subnet mask, change the WAN gateway to 192.168.1.1 which should be your modem IP. That should fix it. Note don't ever buy anything from Netgear, they are the lamest brand ever. In fact just buy Buffalo, or if you're rich then buy Linksys or Cisco.

Bridged Mode: This works only for areas with PPPoE. Once you set the CPE to bridged mode you need a PPPoE client device in order to log in and use the internet. You can connect it straight to a PC and use the built in PPPoE connect utility of the OS or use 3rd party software like WinPOET. This is not recommended for single PC because of several inefficiencies of a PC when it comes to routing. Only use bridged mode if you connect the CPE to the WAN port of another router that can use PPPoE on its WAN port.

Once you set up your CPE in bridged mode you will no longer be able to access its http setup pages via the lan address (192.168.1.1). You will have to setup the WAN port of your second router to use a static IP that is in the CPE lan subnet (192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254). This annoyance can be avoided if your second router was running dd-wrt.
For those with dd-wrt box as second router you can configure the following firewall scripts to be able to access the CPE setup page without having to change the WAN IP of the second router. I have already adapted the scripts to our default CPE IP address.

Case of a Bridged Modem (Source).
In this case the router itself creates the PPPoE connection to the ISP server; but to work, the connection between the modem and the router must have an IP address. Usually the modem gives an address to the client; but this address will never be used except to access the configuration interface of the modem.

IP of CPE (modem) = 192.168.1.1
IP handed to router from CPE (modem) = 192.168.1.2

Save Firewall Script:
ifconfig vlan1:1 192.168.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.1.255
/usr/sbin/iptables -I POSTROUTING -t nat -o vlan1 -d 192.168.1.0/24 -j MASQUERADE

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU)
I will present my recommendations for MTU size based on mathematical calculations.
Please bear in mind that PPPoE is really PPPoEoA (PPP over Ethernet over ATM) when referring to dsl technology which makes it less bandwidth efficient to use PPPoE for dsl.
Sources: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1483.txt, http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2364.txt.
We know that a standard 53 byte ATM cell consists of 48 bytes payload and 5 bytes header. 1488/48 = 31 whole cells.

For PPPoA with VC/MUX the optimal MTU is 1478. The PPPoA overhead is 10.
1478 + 2bytes PPP + 8bytes CCPS-PDU trailer = 1488 hence 31 whole cells.

For PPPoA with LLC the optimal MTU is 1472.
1472 + 8bytes LLC+SNAP + 2bytes PPP + 8bytes CCPS-PDU trailer = 1488 hence 31 whole cells.

For PPPoE with VC/MUX the optimal MTU is 1456. Since the 8bytes LLC/SNAP header is not needed here.
1456 + 2bytes PPP + 6bytes PPPoE + 14bytes Ethernet MAC + 2bytes PAD + (-8bytes LLC+SNAP) + 8bytes CCPS-PDU trailer = 1488 hence 31 whole cells.

For PPPoE with LLC the optimal MTU is 1448.
1448 + 2bytes PPP + 6bytes PPPoE + 14bytes Ethernet MAC + 2bytes PAD + 8bytes LLC+SNAP + 8bytes CCPS-PDU trailer = 1488 hence 31 whole cells.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zhone CPE Firmware Updates: http://www.zhone.com.../downloads/cpe/.
Zhone CPE USB Drivers: http://www.zhone.com...nloads/drivers/.

#2 User is offline   Lich King Icon

• Telecom Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 16 April 2007 - 05:47 AM

I have been doing some research into getting the best out of our ADSL. I have some important things to share.

1.)
The 6211-I2 series uses the Broadcom BCM6338 chipset. It also seems to be the same for the 6211-I3 series. This implies that the CPU instruction sets are similar and hence firmwares are interchangeable. I realized that if my theory was wrong I would have ended up having to buy another modem :(. Luckily I was right and I safely updated my 6211-I2-200, which came with Paradyne Firmware: 03.00.19, to the 6211-I3-xxx Paradyne Firmware: 03.00.31. http://www.zhone.com...ds/cpe/6211-I3/ It has several bug fixes. :)

2.)
There are 2 types of operation for the ADSL link. It can be seen at Device Info -> Statistics -> ADSL. The two types are "Fast" and "Interleave". Fast is as the name suggests, it's fast in terms of latency. Interleave adds on about 20 to 40ms to your latency, but it has increased error protection. In other words gamers will prefer Fast. I have interleave and my current ping to google is around 125ms. This is clearly unacceptable for hosting games on Battle.net. I need less that 100ms. The problem here is that Paradyne is not allowing us the option of changing the ADSL type. I am almost 210% sure that calling TSTT will result in nothing but I have to try. It would be good if other gamers start to call them about this problem too, maybe they will take us seriously.

#3 User is offline   admin Icon

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 17 April 2007 - 07:25 PM

One small addition:
TSTT operates in PAP mode and apparently the connection is faster established setting it directly to PAP instead of AUTO.

Old:
13. Leave Authentication Method at 'AUTO'
New:
13. Set Authentication Method to 'PAP'

#4 User is offline   ninja_billy Icon

• Forum Jedi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 April 2007 - 04:45 PM

any option for the speedstream 4200, so that when i join a game id ont lagout the whole game.

#5 User is offline   Lich King Icon

• Telecom Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 April 2007 - 08:34 PM

I just call a friend to borrow a speedstream but it turns out that he is using that one and the paradyne is his spare not in use. So I can't get one to really see the settings to know for sure what to tweak. What I can tell you for sure is that you should turn off the firewall since that function uses the router's cpu resources and can slow down operations. Use the NAT function. Basically once you are behind a NAT router it is pretty hard for somebody to hack your computer, not to mention the high improbability of such a thing occurring. Windows firewall can protect you from any worms. You probably won't even need to use windows firewall unless you DMZ your computer.

I don't know your network configuration but there are some other things that are useless and can slow down network performance. If you have your adsl modem/router going to a 2nd router then you might want to consider only using 1 DHCP server. If you know how you could also disable the NAT on the dsl modem and pass the public IP straight to the 2nd router which basically turns off the routing functions of the dsl modem. Upgrade your firmware to the latest available. check http://www.portalads...oads_cat_9.html or http://www.siemens.c..._sid=3227785672

#6 User is offline   omni Icon

• Post Machine
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 January 2008 - 03:02 AM

What about the DSL settings page? Which ones should I leave checked or unchecked?

#7 User is offline   Lich King Icon

• Telecom Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 January 2008 - 08:50 AM

View Postomni, on Jan 24 2008, 03:02 AM, said:

What about the DSL settings page? Which ones should I leave checked or unchecked?
The default is all enabled except Annex M. With good reason because we cannot even use Annex M unless TSTT supports it and we have ultra high speeds, it basically assigns a part of the download frequency band to upload so you can trade off some download speed for upload speed. You can do some further reading up on all the settings listed there to know what they do. If you getting trouble with blink then you can try disabling ADSL2+, ADSL2, and G.dmt. That way it will switch to g.lite mode. No guarantees that it will solve your problems but it is something to try when troubleshooting. Right now I can't remember what Bitswap and SRA (rate adaptation) does but I think it has to do with minimizing errors. No reason why you should turn those off.

#8 User is offline   vutar Icon

• Pip

Posted 29 March 2008 - 04:31 PM

eh lich king i tring to play dota on garena but i never get connected is it a tstt problem eh ??(masternjl@hotmail.com)how do u get limewire and ggclient to connect i think it is some firewall problem with tstt paradyne modem???
what is the solution to this problem (masternjl@hotmail.com) eh lich king i tring to play dota on garena but i never get connected is it a tstt problem eh ??(masternjl@hotmail.com) wha do i do???

View PostLich King, on Apr 15 2007, 10:41 PM, said:

Setup for Paradyne (now Zhone) ADSL router 6211-I2-200 for PPPoA operation at TSTT:

2. Open http://192.168.1.1 (Paradyne web interface).
3. In Quick Setup leave 'DSL Auto-Connect' Enabled.
4. Select 'Advanced Setup->WAN', remove all connections then click Add.
5. Set VPI to 0 (default)
6. Set VCI to 35 (default)
7. Service Category: Default is 'UBR Witout PCR' however you can change it. More about this I will put below.
8. Do not enable QoS unless you plan to use it because it uses resources.
9. Click Next
10. Select PPP over ATM (PPPoA) and any Encapsulation Mode. I prefer VC/MUX.
11. Click Next
12. Enter your PPP Username and Password
14. I recommend that ONLY 'Keep Alive' be enabled.
15. Click Next
16. Enable NAT and WAN service.
17. Service name is automatically set.
18. Click Next
19. Check your WAN setup summary and click 'Save'
20. You should now see your new entry. Click Finish to reboot the router.

NOTES:

About 'Service Category', UBR without PCR is default and works. CBR and Real Time VBR are the highest priority ensures packets reach their destination. It automatically uses QoS so that option will no longer be visible if certain service categories are used. If you use one with PCR (peak cell rate) then you have to specify this number, I like to use 604 because it is the max allowed. You may also see Sustainable Cell Rate and Max Burst. This is complicated so stick to UBR without PCR, unless you think you need something else. Like CBR is best for VoIP calls and Real Time VBR is best for streaming video..

About Encapsulation Mode, try both and see which works better for you. In theory VC/MUX is better than LLC because VC multiplexing tends to reduce fragmentation overhead. TSTT supports both it seems because they both work. I have no idea how to benchmark each to tell you which is better with TSTT.

PPP IP.
You want to enable this I you have a 2nd router which you want to handle all the NAT functions. This option basically turns off the routing functions of the modem and forwards the public ip straight to your 2nd router's wan port. Your 2nd router should be set to auto assign IP/DNS (WAN interface acting as DHCP client). If you do this and you can enter the configuration pages for both modem and router but you cannot get on internet then your router is probably stupid like mine. Set the 2nd router to static IP, leave the public IP and subnet mask, change the WAN gateway to 192.168.1.1 which should be your modem IP. That should fix it. Note don't ever buy anything from Netgear, they are the lamest brand ever. In fact just buy Linksys, or if you rich buy Cisco.

#9 User is offline   Lich King Icon

• Telecom Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 March 2008 - 06:11 PM

View Postvutar, on Mar 29 2008, 04:31 PM, said:

eh lich king i tring to play dota on garena but i never get connected is it a tstt problem eh ??(masternjl@hotmail.com)how do u get limewire and ggclient to connect i think it is some firewall problem with tstt paradyne modem???
what is the solution to this problem (masternjl@hotmail.com) eh lich king i tring to play dota on garena but i never get connected is it a tstt problem eh ??(masternjl@hotmail.com) wha do i do???

I not sure why you can't connect but it could be port forwarding problems or other firewall problems. I don't use any 3rd party applications to play dota, I play on Battle.net so I don't know if you have to edit the registry to change the game server for it to work. I doubt I could help you out with that one because I never used Garena before and I am unfamiliar with it.

#10 User is offline   vutar Icon

• Pip

Posted 02 April 2008 - 12:49 AM

View PostLich King, on Mar 29 2008, 06:11 PM, said:

I not sure why you can't connect but it could be port forwarding problems or other firewall problems. I don't use any 3rd party applications to play dota, I play on Battle.net so I don't know if you have to edit the registry to change the game server for it to work. I doubt I could help you out with that one because I never used Garena before and I am unfamiliar with it

ok to play on dota on battle net u need an original cd key but i am sure there is some way to play on battle net without it and if u know how to play dota on battle net without a cd key let me know i want to know thanks

#11 User is offline   c-jink Icon

• Pip

Posted 06 April 2008 - 02:17 AM

View PostLich King, on Apr 16 2007, 05:47 AM, said:

There are 2 types of operation for the ADSL link. It can be seen at Device Info -> Statistics -> ADSL. The two types are "Fast" and "Interleave".

Hey I need help. I want to check whether my connection is in 'Fast' or "Interleave' mode but this is what I'm seeing on the statistics page:

Mode: ADSL2+
Line Coding: Trellis On
Link Power State: L0

That particular piece of info seems to be missing :(. How else can I check without calling TSTT?

Thanks.

#12 User is offline   Lich King Icon

• Telecom Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 April 2008 - 03:02 AM

View Postc-jink, on Apr 6 2008, 02:17 AM, said:

Hey I need help. I want to check whether my connection is in 'Fast' or "Interleave' mode but this is what I'm seeing on the statistics page:

Mode: ADSL2+
Line Coding: Trellis On
Link Power State: L0

That particular piece of info seems to be missing :( . How else can I check without calling TSTT?

Thanks.
I don't think adsl2/+ supports anything but interleave so I am 99% sure that your connection type is interleave. I guess since there isn't a choice for adsl2/+ they didn't bother to list it in the modem stats. Atleast you still have Trellis modulation enabled so that should be boosting bandwidth efficiency but it doesn't have a significant impact on latency though. Once your connection is interleaved rest assure you have an extra 30ms to 40ms latency. If you had fast before and only recently upgrade to adsl2+ then you could just disable adsl2+ to force your modem to revert to adsl1 which should put back your type as fast. Don't worry about your bandwidth, forcing the change to adsl1 should not affect your bandwidth unless your connection is >8Mbps.

#13 User is offline   c-jink Icon

• Pip

Posted 15 May 2008 - 02:29 PM

View PostLich King, on Apr 6 2008, 04:02 AM, said:

I don't think adsl2/+ supports anything but interleave so I am 99% sure that your connection type is interleave. I guess since there isn't a choice for adsl2/+ they didn't bother to list it in the modem stats. Atleast you still have Trellis modulation enabled so that should be boosting bandwidth efficiency but it doesn't have a significant impact on latency though. Once your connection is interleaved rest assure you have an extra 30ms to 40ms latency. If you had fast before and only recently upgrade to adsl2+ then you could just disable adsl2+ to force your modem to revert to adsl1 which should put back your type as fast. Don't worry about your bandwidth, forcing the change to adsl1 should not affect your bandwidth unless your connection is >8Mbps.

Hey thanks for the suggestion but for some reason it didn't work. When I switched back to dsl1 the net refused to work...but no scene thanks again. At least my download speeds are faster than usual these days (something to enjoy till blink arrives) and well I guess 30-40ms more isn't that big a deal when playing games online :rolleyes:

#14 User is offline   richardm Icon

• Pip

Posted 12 July 2008 - 07:57 PM

Hi Lich King

If you change the connection type to "Bridging", would I then be able to set a router (ie: WRT54G) to send the PPP Username & Password to connect to the Internet? In other words, in a bridge state, would the modem become a dumb bridge (passthrough device) and allow the WRT54G to get the Public IP and handle all NAT/Firewall functions instead of the Pardayne modem?

If this in incorrect, what is your suggestion to allow the use of the Paradyne modem with a WRT54G router, so that the WRT54G handles all NAT/Firewall and Port Forwarding functionality and not the Paradyne.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Richard

View PostLich King, on Apr 15 2007, 10:41 PM, said:

Setup for Paradyne (now Zhone) ADSL router 6211-I2-200 for PPPoA operation at TSTT:

2. Open http://192.168.1.1 (Paradyne web interface).
3. In Quick Setup leave 'DSL Auto-Connect' Enabled.
4. Select 'Advanced Setup->WAN', remove all connections then click Add.
5. Set VPI to 0 (default)
6. Set VCI to 35 (default)
7. Service Category: Default is 'UBR Witout PCR' however you can change it. More about this I will put below.
8. Do not enable QoS unless you plan to use it because it uses resources.
9. Click Next
10. Select PPP over ATM (PPPoA) and any Encapsulation Mode. I prefer VC/MUX.
11. Click Next
12. Enter your PPP Username and Password
14. I recommend that ONLY 'Keep Alive' be enabled.
15. Click Next
16. Enable NAT and WAN service.
17. Service name is automatically set.
18. Click Next
19. Check your WAN setup summary and click 'Save'
20. You should now see your new entry. Click Finish to reboot the router.

NOTES:

About 'Service Category', UBR without PCR is default and works. CBR and Real Time VBR are the highest priority ensures packets reach their destination. It automatically uses QoS so that option will no longer be visible if certain service categories are used. If you use one with PCR (peak cell rate) then you have to specify this number, I like to use 604 because it is the max allowed. You may also see Sustainable Cell Rate and Max Burst. This is complicated so stick to UBR without PCR, unless you think you need something else. Like CBR is best for VoIP calls and Real Time VBR is best for streaming video..

About Encapsulation Mode, try both and see which works better for you. In theory VC/MUX is better than LLC because VC multiplexing tends to reduce fragmentation overhead. TSTT supports both it seems because they both work. I have no idea how to benchmark each to tell you which is better with TSTT.

PPP IP.
You want to enable this I you have a 2nd router which you want to handle all the NAT functions. This option basically turns off the routing functions of the modem and forwards the public ip straight to your 2nd router's wan port. Your 2nd router should be set to auto assign IP/DNS (WAN interface acting as DHCP client). If you do this and you can enter the configuration pages for both modem and router but you cannot get on internet then your router is probably stupid like mine. Set the 2nd router to static IP, leave the public IP and subnet mask, change the WAN gateway to 192.168.1.1 which should be your modem IP. That should fix it. Note don't ever buy anything from Netgear, they are the lamest brand ever. In fact just buy Linksys, or if you rich buy Cisco.

#15 User is offline   loveusender Icon

• PipPip

Post icon  Posted 20 July 2008 - 08:50 AM

i would really like to thank ya'll for putting u these setting cause i was ketching my royal to get my 6211-I3 to work on PPPoE and it was not working. i saw this post and the minute i changed it to PPPoA it was blazing!!! i am soo happy!!!

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users