TSTT Forum: Is tracking of cell phones possible in Trinidad? - TSTT Forum

Page 1 of 1

Is tracking of cell phones possible in Trinidad?

#1 User is offline   jpf Icon

• Board Warrior
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 May 2007 - 03:49 AM

Does TSTT, or Digicel for that matter have the ability to track your phone's location, for instance when its stolen? About 2 years ago I went in to pay a bill in TSTT. Now about four months before I was robbed of my phone, and I happened to ask a Rep about that ability. She said yes they can do it, but in my case she said the person probably threw away the Sim Card. I asked her if she knew that for sure & could they track it just in case the person is still using it, but she just told me the same thing again about the sim card being thrown away after four months.

In the States its mandatory that all phones have the ability (for 911 calls) Now i dont know if there are any GPS phones being sold by TSTT or anyone, but I think tracking is possible via triangulation of cell towers (although lass accurate than GPS) but anyone knows if it is done down here? It would cartainly help deter criminals from stealing people phones, & it would be of help when making an emergency call, (and also helpful if by chance you're a target for kidnapping!)

Also, some years back, TSTT had advertized "Location Based Services". Would this have anything to do with tracking a phone's location? and anyone knows if TSTT or Digicel plans to offer any type of service officially

the phone I lost was a Sony Ericsson T230 . At that time it was worth about $900- $1000 (didnt buy it, a previous phone under warranty was replaced by it) Now I have a $59 phone but if I knew TSTT (or I myself, using some type of software) could trace it if its stolen I wouldnt have to worry too much about buying more expensive phones?

and finally, anyone knows how to track a phone inc. what software to use & what type of phone it would have to be?

any info on this would help, thanks

#2 User is offline   ninja_billy Icon

• Forum Jedi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 May 2007 - 09:34 AM

i doubt they have the know how on how to use the monitoring software or the man power (man power being the police).

#3 User is offline   Cool3ni Icon

• Forum Jedi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Computers,music,mobiles an anything to do with technology

Posted 18 May 2007 - 11:17 AM

I do think they can trace yuh cell phone up to the cell site that it is recieving the signal from

#4 User is offline   presando Icon

• PipPip

Posted 18 May 2007 - 07:00 PM

View PostCool3ni, on May 18 2007, 12:17 PM, said:

I do think they can trace yuh cell phone up to the cell site that it is recieving the signal from

Maybe, but this is TnT the country where lawlessness prevails. I mean come on do you really think TSTT will trace your stolen cell phone.
Oh yeah Digicel free net no longer works for me do any of you have any good anonymous proxies, ports or a way to get around it?

#5 User is offline   kennypaul Icon

• PipPip

Posted 21 May 2007 - 10:32 AM

Digicel works with a company called Geotrac for corporate services and certain public events using GPS tracking of sim cards over the GPRS network. They can be found at this site www.geotraclimited.com/ and if you check digi's website for TT you would see the events they do. The corporate stuff is kinda cloak and dagger.. So yes you can track your phone both through triangulation and also this other way.

#6 User is offline   Leon Icon

• Pip

Posted 29 August 2008 - 09:11 AM

View Postkennypaul, on May 21 2007, 10:32 AM, said:

Digicel works with a company called Geotrac for corporate services and certain public events using GPS tracking of sim cards over the GPRS network. They can be found at this site www.geotraclimited.com/ and if you check digi's website for TT you would see the events they do. The corporate stuff is kinda cloak and dagger.. So yes you can track your phone both through triangulation and also this other way.

There is also a company with presents in Trinidad and Barbados called Cherami Ltd (http://www.cheramiltd.com) they have support to track the N95 and the blackberry over their platform via GPS and AGPS. Check out their demo I think they have some kind of integration with Google Maps and they support TSTT Data sims and Digicel sims.

#7 User is offline   riche Icon

• Post Machine
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 August 2008 - 12:08 AM

1. it can be done
2. tstt only does it through a court order
3. i doh know about digicel

#8 User is offline   Lich King Icon

• Telecom Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 August 2008 - 01:50 AM

View Postriche, on Aug 30 2008, 12:08 AM, said:

1. it can be done
2. tstt only does it through a court order
3. i doh know about digicel
Would be great if the companies could use those services to help us track down punks who steal phones and beat them to oblivion.
We could have our own bounty hunter like that guy from TV except it can't be a lame name like Dog or whatever, something more fierce like Anaconda or something.

#9 User is offline   Horatio Icon

• Pip

Posted 05 September 2008 - 06:41 PM

View PostLeon, on Aug 29 2008, 09:11 AM, said:

There is also a company with presents in Trinidad and Barbados called Cherami Ltd (http://www.cheramiltd.com) they have support to track the N95 and the blackberry over their platform via GPS and AGPS. Check out their demo I think they have some kind of integration with Google Maps and they support TSTT Data sims and Digicel sims.

Yeah... I actually used the services from Cherami to track my blackberry... I am loving it...

#10 User is offline   jpf Icon

• Board Warrior
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 November 2008 - 04:09 PM

View PostHoratio, on Sep 5 2008, 06:41 PM, said:

Yeah... I actually used the services from Cherami to track my blackberry... I am loving it...

usually its for navigation but could u use it to track the phone itself if it got lost/stolen? like login to a website and see where it is?

#11 User is offline   jpf Icon

• Board Warrior
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2008 - 02:41 AM

and how much does it costs with Cherami?

#12 User is offline   Skylined Icon

• Post Machine
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Internet ;)

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:08 AM

Try Google Latitude, I use it on my BlackBerry Pearl 8100, it is not that accurate, but it works.

http://www.google.co...tude/intro.html

I visited google.com/latitude on my mobile browser and installed it...

#13 User is offline   jpf Icon

• Board Warrior
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 September 2009 - 01:53 AM

yeah i tried it (well Google maps b4 latitude came out) when i had a blackberry phone on a corporate plan at work-it works via cell sites if u dont have gps-but gps is much more accurate- dont have the phone anymore though because digicel screwed up the rates and the company canceled the plan

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users